Handgun hunting regulations

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by chiefsLB59, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That would work. I have seen many guns with the exact same method.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. boehr

boehr Banned

That will not work, by carrying the magazine with you, separate or not, the weapon is still capable of holding more than 9 rounds in the shotgun zone making it still illegal.

WCO 2.1(4) Use in hunting, or, subject to section 43510, subsections (2) and (3), of Part 435, as amended, hunting and fishing licensing, MCL 324.43510, possess afield in an area inhabited by wild birds and animals within the "shotgun, handgun, black-powder firearms only area" from November 15 to November 30, or use to take a deer during any firearm deer season in the "shotgun, handgun, black-powder firearms only area," a firearm other than:
    (b) A .35 caliber or larger pistol capable of holding no more than nine shells at one time in the barrel and magazine combined and loaded with straight-walled cartridges.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ChapterII_128574_7.pdf

Yep, same thing many people do with their shotguns when waterfowl hunting.

#17 boehr, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM
  3. I took my mag (10 round) glock 23 and had it plugged by my gunsmith.He painted the 9th&10th spot on the back of the mag to show it only held 8.I don't hunt deer with it,I just carry it for a finisher if need be.But my 7mm-08 usually does the job:evil:

4. boehr

boehr Banned

A few examples why I would not just try to pass my handgun off as a single shot because I didn't have a magazine.

Duck hunter hunting with no plugged gun but only has 3 shells on his person. Will he get a ticket for an unplugged gun? You bettcha.

Deer hunter out shinning for deer during legal times. Camping in a tent on state land but concerned someone might steal his gun he he just left it at the camp site so he left all the ammo at the camp site and put the gun in the truck figuring it would be OK sine the gun can't shoot or kill anything without bullets. Gets stopped shinning while in possession of a firearm, is he in trouble? You bettcha. Law says possession of a firearm capable of shooting a projectile, nothing about the requirement of having that projectile with you.

Easiest way, do it right the first time and have no worries.

5. Handguns, not shining. Get back on topic.

Ya like apples? How 'bout them apples?

6. boehr

boehr Banned

Just for you since you can't see or understand the comparison as examples.
    Deer hunter (who is a test engineer) without CPL out shinning for deer during legal times. Camping in a tent on state land but concerned someone might steal his handgun that he hunts with if he just left it at the camp site so he left all the ammo at the camp site and put the handgun in the trunk of the car figuring it would be OK since the handgun can't shoot or kill anything without bullets. Gets stopped shinning while in possession of a handgun, is he in trouble? You bettcha. Law says possession of a firearm including handgun capable of shooting a projectile, nothing about the requirement of having that projectile with you.

Now you can eat that apple.

Not having a magazine doesn't make a handgun a single shot handgun. A single shot handgun doesn't have a magazine or no place to put one.

#21 boehr, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. Why is it that one person has to ruin it for everyone. Boehr's example was to try to help those that were confused, get a better understanding. This question has been answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.