Handgun hunting regulations

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by chiefsLB59, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering if any of the COs on this site could give me some feedback. I was wondering what the maximum capacity that a handgun can have when hunting for deer. Also what is the minimum caliber that can be used?

Thanks for any info

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Per the 2007 guide...
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2007_Mi_Hunt_Guide_pg9-13_204859_7.pdf

3. The maximum capacity of 9 rounds is for the Shotgun Zone only.
    There is no maximum capacity in the rifle zone.

The minimum size of .35 or larger is also for the Shotgun zone only.....in the Rifle zone, any caliber larger than .22 rimfire may be used.

4. Thanks for the info guys. I was discussing this with my brother and could not seem to find information about it anywhere

5. Ninja has it spot on.....

6. Bringing this thread back to life... My pistol magazine can hold 13 rounds. If I load 8rds in the mag and 1 in the chamber, am I legal to hunt deer in the shotgun zone even though my gun is capable of holding more rounds? Can I carry a spare magazine with 9 rounds in it?

#6 det07, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  7. for you to be legal you will have to get your magazine plugged so it will only hold 8 rounds.

8. Get your CPL and don't worry about it...

9. malainse

Staff Member Super Mod Mods

:yeahthat:

The maximum capacity of 9 rounds 8 in mag ,one in chamber....

10. Wait a second here... I have my CPL, but I thought that if I was using the pistol to hunt with it it couldn't hold more than 9 rounds (regardless of my cpl) but if I didn't plan to use my pistol to take a deer I could carry it full capacity.

So does my CPL allow me to hunt deer with more than 9 rounds in my pistol?

#10 det07, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  11. boehr

boehr Banned

In the shotgun zone, 9 rounds max regardless if you have a CPL or not. In the rifle zone there are no maximum number of rounds for a handgun, again regardless of having a CPL or not.

12. malainse

Staff Member Super Mod Mods

The above is incorrect ... ..CPL has nothing to do with it if using that weapon to take or attempt to take game must follow hunting laws/rules..

det07- Your thought was correct....;)

13. boehr

boehr Banned

If your hunting in the shotgun zone you will still have to worry about it. Remember, a ticket for using a handgun with too many rounds is a misdemeanor and if you do have a CPL you might lose it if you get ticketed for that.:eek:

14. Got it.. thank you. I was searching for a plug to buy online and couldn't find one. The best I could come up with is cutting a piece of wood dowel to length and sticking it into the magazine between the spring and follower so that only 8 rounds could be loaded into it. Sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't need a new spring or internal parts.

Boehr, I know you don't like these threads to get off topic but would this work as a magazine plug?

15. Correct and I was questioned in the field about it at one time and was told as long as you have your CPL,mag cap is not an issue,BUT if I were to shoot a deer, it was recommended(aside from plugging it) to remove the mag before you shoot thus leaving one rd in the chamber,it then becomes a single shot pistol and makes it legal.
    They also said if I'm using the sidearm to hunt with and had a CPL and was not carrying my shotgun or BP,meaning it would be obvious I am handgun hunting,it would be best to plug it or remove the full mag and carry it separate from the sidearm,making it a single shot,
    if I carry my Shotgun it would be obvious that I am not pistol hunting and wouldn't be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.