gut shot deer

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by edenwildlife, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I shot a doe last night in the gut and let it lay all night. Temp. was about 18 last night. I found it this mourning at gutted it out at 10am. My question is, is it safe to eat? I have heard that there are toxins that soak in the meat overnight. I washed it out with a water salt solution and skinned it to air it out.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I would say it's safe to eat. If it was my deer I would eat it and wouldn't think twice about it.

3. safe to eat, ya had it in a freezer all night!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

4. Glad you found the deer. You did the right thing by letting it lay overnight. It should be ok.

5. If it smells good, eat it :D

Seriously though, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've let them go till the next day in much warmer weather than that and they were fine.

6. Enjoy! Enjoy! Congratulations that deer will be just fine to eat!:)

7. give the meat a good wiff if it doesnt smell funny then its good if not then its good yote bait.

8. Eat it up.

sent from me to the world wide web

9. If there was a large amount of stomach or intestine matter in the body cavity when you gutted her I wouldnt eat anything in the body cavity. Skin the deer and take the meat only from the outside of the carcass leaving the inside stuff for the dogs.

You wont loose much meat.

10. If you were in Washtenaw County I'd say it was no good and that you should bring it to me so I can dispose of it for you. Since you're in Ludington I'll tell the truth. It'll be fine. Great job letting it lie and not pushing it. Congratulations!