Gunsmithing Classes

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dsexto02, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Does anyone know where gunsmithing classes are offered near the Lansing area. I searched the forums and did not come up with anything. I also did a search online, but most of the courses offered were either out of state or correspondance/online courses and I don't have access to a machine shop for practice. I am seriously considering purchasing a gun shop from a retiree and I think that these skills would be a valuable asset.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. You need basic machinists skills and equipment regardless - lathe and mill/drill at a minimum. Ex: To rebarrel or setback for headspace on a rifle requires turning the bbl on a lathe to remove some stock and then rethreading so it seats back properly followed by running the reamer in to recut the chamber. These skills can be had at any local vocational / technical community college or secondary school.

Check with NRA for endorsed programs, much of this sort of work is learned via apprentice type experience at the side of a skilled and experienced smith.

3. If you are serious about the profession, Trinidad State College in Trinidad, Co. is the premier gunsmithing school in the US. I have a friend that graduated from there and he is busy building $ 10K and up rifles for people that have too much money. He is also a part time instructor at the school.

4. Some years a gunsmith would come to a local Community college and couple nights a week have classes. A friend took them 3 or 4 semesters. Each time he needed a 'project gun' or maybe better a 'gun project'.

Check with your CCs and perhaps something can be set up if enough students can be found.

The actual machine work was done at the smiths shop with credit thru the CC-with tuition etc.

5. I would recommend the Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood,CO.

6. Have you looked at the Glock armors course or the Hk course?
    You can get certified by them.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/gunsmithing.asp

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2706279

Gunsmithing Schools
    Colorado School of Trades
    1575 Hoyt Street
    Lakewood, CO 80215
    Phone: 800-234-4594

Lassen Community College
    P.O. Box 3000
    Susanville, CA 96130
    Phone: 530-257-4211

Modern Gun School
    80 North Main Street, P.O. Box 846
    St. Albans, VT 05478
    Phone: 800-493-4114

Montgomery Community College
    1011 Page Street
    P.O. Box 787
    Troy, NC 27371
    Phone: 800-839-6222

Murray State College
    One Murray Campus
    Tishomingo, OK 73460
    Phone: 580-371-2371

Penn Foster Career School
    ICS-Intext
    925 Oak Street
    Scranton, PA 18515

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School
    812 Ohio River Blvd.
    Avalon
    Pittsburgh, PA 15202
    Phone: 412-766-1812

Piedmont Community College
    1715 College Drive
    P.O. Box 1197
    Roxboro, NC 27573
    Phone: 336-599-1181

Pine Technical Institute
    900 4th Street
    Pine City, MN 55063
    Phone: 800-521-7463

Sonoran Desert Institute
    10245 East Via Linda, Suite 102
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
    Phone: 480-314-2102

Trinidad State Jr. College
    600 Prospect
    Trinidad, CO 81082
    Phone: 800-621-8752

Yavapai College
    1100 East Sheldon Street
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Phone: 520-776-2150​

#6 Wetlandhunter, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  7. I Think I need to say that we need one in Michigan. If I have to make on that's fine by me, but I thought for sure somebody from Michigan would know if there was a Gunsmithing school in the state of Michigan. And I would like to state my opinion that all .22 caliber firearms should be converted into .17 HM2 caliber firearms, or should have been made so. I also love a good .22 but who else thinks the bullet on a .22 is completely un-aerodynamic. If anybody knows of a .22 caliber cartridge that has bullet that doesn't look like a lead fishing weight with a broken nose please let me know.

8. I can and will vouch for this school, second to none in the world

9. If you don't have the time to spend a couple of yrs at a school you could take some of the NRA summer courses to get your feet wet and find out what you like/need to do.I'm not sure if they offer them any more but I used to teach some of the law enforcement armorers classes at Lassen in CA and all of the instructors were very good, they were all about a week long and went from basic mach shop to engraving or full auto guns. If I remember right there were a couple of schools that offered the NRA courses so you may be able to find something closer .
    One week is just enough to make you dangerous ;) Good luck I would also recommend a small business management class if you do not already have that in your background . The only place I ever new of gunsmithing being taught was at Delta CC "sag/baycity" by Dick Williams but I'm pretty sure he stopped doing that yrs's ago . Also is this retiree a gunsmith? If you purchased his business would he be willing to spend a couple of days a week with you for a couple of yrs? If it is a retail shop that is fairly busy you may not have time to do much work on guns until after the doors are closed anyway

10. Just noticed the original post is from 2008 , I guess he has already done what he is going to do :yikes:

11. I am a michigan resident, living near Mt Pleasant. I am a former Marine and the one thing I miss the most is cleaning/servicing my rifle. (Besides firing it of course) I'm looking for somewhere to learn the art of gunsmithing. I need to stay in state as I have a family and am the breadwinner. I am not looking for a career to make me rich, just one that will keep me around guns. Any guidence would be much apprecieated. Thanks in advance.

12. The best school in the United States, highly endorse it....It has been around a long time....this bears repeating, a gunsmith has more friends than he has money....nice hobby though