Going to Hawaii in may, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by U of M Fan, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Ask a local where a neighborhood Vietnamese restaurant is located near the zoo. The soups are great and make sure you ask for basil leaves to go with it. I don't remember the name or location. Our tour guide who lived nearby took my wife and I there.

2. Go to Offishialbusiness.com. Let them know Twofishingguys sent you. They may know some charters to fish out if Hawaii and could give a deal. Great people.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. I was stationed there in late 60's with 4th Marines on west side, stay away from Hotel and King st's, bad news. O, by the way, what ever amount of you are planning to take 2x it; Happy trail's to you and family.:cool::cool::cool:

4. Got pineapple as an automatic side at MikeyD's.

Take the dinner cruise.
    [​IMG]

I forget the name of the hotel but it shouldn't be hard to find, they have an aquarium in the dining area. View is nice at feeding
    time.

[​IMG]

And of course:

[​IMG]

5. The hotel with the huge aquarium is called Pacific Beach Hotel. I stayed there for 5 days before we headed to Maui. Our waiter heard we were leaving and said "You know what they say? Here today..........gone to Maui." :D

I am actually planning a trip back next year during whale season.

6. Puka dog restaurant diamond head climb manoa falls hike north shore dole pineapple stop on way to north shore hanamua bay for snorkling. If you are strong experienced snorklers swim through cut then to right. Travel as far yo the first point, its a swim and be careful, some strong currents if you are not strong and knowledgeable in ocean conditions. Down the road from the snorkeling is a Kona Brewing company restaurant. Get either dukes blonde ale or big wave. Both very good. Get to pearl harbor early. Its a must see. If you beat the tour buses you can save a half day and make it to the Arizona memorial much quicker. After nine or ten the wait for the boat ride can and will be over 2 hours. The zoo is pretty cool if you have kids also. Thats only one island. Seen them all and they are all special in their own ways

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. I agree with the above. Definitely stay away from Hotel Street/Chinatown. It's not a good place to go to. Go to Diamond Head and make the trek up the side of the volcano wall. At the top, there is a bunker that you crawl through to get to the roof. From there you can look out for miles. Be aware that it is a long walk up the side and take a flash light. You will need it to get through one of the tunnels.
    Visit the Arizona Memorial. There is also a museum at Pearl. Last time I was there, we walked through the USS Bowfin, a WWII submarine.
    Definitely go to 'Iolani Palace. It was the official residence of King Kalākaua and Queen Lili'uokalani, the last of Hawaiian royalty.

8. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821126.572321.jpg
    A pic from above of where were staying
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821198.618500.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821248.452518.jpg
    Pic of the course. (Ko Olina)
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821315.401677.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821343.190346.jpg

9. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821409.954057.jpg
    The golf cart is cool for going to the pool, beach, store, or golf course.
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821550.106912.jpg
    Pic of my daughter at the beach.
    ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1368821638.305514.jpg
    The work bench. Lol

Vacation is just getting started. This place is beautiful!!!

10. Check out the raman shops on Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki. There are several Vietnamese restaurants all around Waikiki. Here'a a list:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&b...&sa=X&ei=J5iWUeO-MYTfyQH744HIDQ&ved=0CN0BELYD

Pho Old Saigon
    2270 Kuhio Ave #1, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 922-2668

Hale Vietnam Restaurant
    1140 12th Ave, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 735-7581 ‎

Pho Kitchen
    2919 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu, HI
    Market City Shopping Center
    (808) 735-8488

Pho 1 Vietnamese Restaurant
    1617 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 955-3438 ‎

Pho 777
    1960 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu, HI
    McCully Shopping Center
    (808) 955-7770 ‎

Super Pho
    3538 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 735-9989 ‎

Pho Thinh
    2080 S King St, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 947-3638 ‎

Saigon's Restaurant
    3624 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI
    (808) 735-4242 ‎

#27 petronius, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  11. Thanks for the list. We will definatly check one or two of them out.

12. I think Saigon's Restaurant was the one we went to. I think the tour guide's name that I went with was Wayne Mishima. I wonder if he's still around?

13. Just got back from Oahu 10 days ago, stopped off for 5 days on our way back from Australia. Stayed right on Waikiki Beach, fun but really busy. Maui, or the Big Island are much slower pace. The Memorial, Punch Bowl and Diamondhead are must do's. There is a pretty nice US Army museum right on the water at an early 1900's military base just on the west end of Waikiki. Well worth a vist for a couple hours.

Also, no one mentioned the Polynesian Cultural Center on the north side of the Island. Probably the most visited place on the Island these days, other than the beach and Memorial. It's sort of a theme park like place with an area for each of the Polynesian Islands, Samoa,Tobago, Fiji Tahiti Hawaii, etc. In the evening they have a Luau and pretty spectacular 2 hour traditional Polynesian show (100 plus performers). Well worth a visit, takes most of a day. About an hour drive from Honolulu.

http://www.polynesia.com/