getting the batter to stick

Discussion in 'Fish Recipes' started by BBBYpsi, Feb 29, 2008.

1. What is the best way to get the batter to stick to my fish. I have tried pating it dry then stick it in drakes batter mixed with water but it never seems to stick to the fish. I must be doing something wrong all help will be very much appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Wet will not stick to wet and dry will not stick to dry. Old saying I came across in a 100 year old cookbook.

Drain the fish but there is no need to pat dry. It is still wet on the surface. Dip the fish pieces into flour or dry batter or dry seasoned flour. That puts the dry on it.

Now it is ready to be dipped into the batter mixed with water (the wet). Your batter should now stick on much better.

3. I do the same, I first dry the fish in white flour (just a light coating), then into the wet Drakes mix.

4. Also, your wet batter mix can't be too wet. If it is to wet and runny, it won't stick. You want it the consistency of pancake batter. If it is not sticking, try add more dry mix to the batter to make it less watery.

5. Dip fish in egg and then drakes.

6. Couple ways to do it:

Dip the fillets in flour, then in your wet batter, I like drakes with beer, and fry at 375.

or

Soak your fillets in beer for a few hours, then roll in dry Drakes or some other similar coating, and fry at 375. I've found that the beer you soak the fish in kinda makes the dry batter puff up when you fry them, just like a wet batter, and you get more of the fish taste instead of fried batter.

or

The old stand by, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in cracker crumbs. You'll end up battering your fingers, but it's worth it and it stays on.

AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, GET YOURSELF A DEEP FRYER!!!! I could never get coating to stay on when I had to flip the fillets in a pan.......

7. I take rolled gold pretzels and put them in a large zip lock bag removing all air ,then i take a rolling pin and roll it into dust,dip fish in egg then this and fry!!!
    you wont believe the taste....

8. Thanks for the help I am making some perch for dinner toinight.

9. I mix beer and eggs into my Drakes batter mix. Drain the fillets well and dip.

10. Try Panko bread coating. It's a Japanese thing, I think. It has a very light crust. Won't use anything else anymore. It took us 30 years to figure it out, but we love it now.

Any yes, you have to dry the fish/chicken, whatever first.

We also dip it in beer and flour, let the mixture of the two set for an hour or so. Then Panko bread crumbs.

Now if I can only start to catch some perch:lol::lol::lol: