Fishing Kalamazoo River

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by Jim S, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Hey all, I need to be in Kalamazoo on Saturday for a family related event. Figured I'd pull the boat over and sneak in some fishing (wife says its O.K. LOL!). I've read about the Kalamazoo River for pike and bass in summer but does anyone know how the fishing is for anything but bass (season closed) right now? I figured on casting for pike or jigging for walleyes for a couple hours but I've never been on the river and don't know anything about it. Any locals willing to share some info (not specific locations) about launches, lures and how good the fishing is this time of year? Thanks much, Jim.

2. Austin Lake is good Pike/Musky water, weedy and only around 15' deep. If you really want on the river for Walleyes you might try launching in Comstock and going upstream a mile or so to the Morrow Pond Dam. I haven't done it in a long time myself but from what I've been hearing they been catching a few jigging minnows. Morrow Pond itself is good Pike water, just hard to figure out sometimes. Flat shallow bottom with minimal weeds.

3. Thanks TBone and Cobra. I'll try Morrow Pond and post my results. Unless I get skunked! :p
    Jim

4. If you do try Morrow Pond check out in front of the water inlets on the brick building by the dam. There is a deep hole in front that some monsters hang out in. Jigging spoons and 10" plastic worms bounced in and along the edges can be fun.