Ermine Trapping

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by abc, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Can you tell me the teqnes,sets,baits,trapsand locations of Ermine.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. You may also use pennut butter for bait. More than once I've had the cute ermines try and steal my sandwich while deer hunting. They are very curious and the pennut butter odor is attractive to many animals.

3. Weasel boxes work great. I prefer a mouse chunk for bait (with the fur) and add a dab of Lenon's weasel lure (made in limited qtys. by Asa Lenon. His E-mail is lenon@upmail.com, or write to Lenon's Animal lures, Route 1, Box 220 Guliver MI. 49840. He has some fine lures to offer.) I will add that the weasel box should be used anywhere where there are rodents around. marsh edges, old abandoned fanm buildings, rock piles etc... Having read the mentioned link, 1 thing I would change is the trap location. It was suggested to set the trap under the hole. I would disagree and recomend putting it inside the box, using a #1 Long Spring. I prefer using a #1 single coil, but they are'nt made anymore. The "foot-hold" will preform as a body gripper, and you can expect your target to be dead when you check. Having the trap outside the hole opens up the chance for an incidental, or a live erime bouncing around for all to see. If the trap is inside the box the critter is forced into commiting to it and therefore will most likely hit the pan solid. Also...the grain to attract mice? I catch too many mice in this set allready without trying to encourage it. I will say, though, that the more mice you do catch, the more that particular box will get worked. have fun.

4. Where I was trapping squrrels there is alot of mice.I seen at least 5 or more a day.I found some tracks that lead to a brush pile and there was slides about this wide going across my path >-------------------< about there.

5. Hey there abc! I have an excellant little paperback, that will tell you just about anything you need to know about weasel trapping. Just send me your address, and I'll be happy to send it to you. Maybe you could pass it a long when your finished with it. Trapper Rick:D

6. Hey...Ive been using regular house rat traps for weasel and they work well. I put a small fence staple in the end of the trap and use that to hang the trap on the bottom of trees or brush with a nail.Use fresh bloody acorn size pieces of liver for bait and have fun! If birds are a problem,you can nail wooden shingles on the sides and top to keep bait out of sight.