do you eat puffballs

Discussion in 'MichiganMushrooms.com' started by eyeopenner, Aug 18, 2012.

1. I founnd 8 large buffball mushrooms in my yard do you mushroom eaters eat these and are they good

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I have but they don't have much flavor. They tend to pretty much taste like what ever their cooked in/with.

3. I used to hunt them and have eaten them.

I stopped wasting my time with them because they are about as enjoyable as eating styrofoam.

4. My socks have more flavor then the giant puffball's. yes i have eaten them.
    I really enjoy the pear-shaped and gem studded puffball's.

5. If cooked right they are good. No Morel :coolgleam by any means but edible...I would recommend frying it up and trying some

6. The Puffball French Fries are dipped in beaten egg / then fried . By David Spahr. The Puffball Pizzas are by Ken Harris. I haven't tried either of these but they do look inviting !! You could even sprinkle the fries with Powder Sugar for a dessert !

Attached Files:

7. you want the small ones the size of big jawbreakers, the big ones u give to ur neighbors

8. bassdisaster

bassdisaster Banned

Almost did last nite, but I kept walking and ran into a small flush of Sweet tooths and the puff balls ended up back on the ground ya
    As others have said there is not alot of flavor in them but they are edible and some like em alot, I prefer other specier of shrooms over puff's but I usually trake what I can get, so Yes I eat puff balls!

BD

9. I know of a couple spots along the Pottowattami Trail where they can be found and have considered slicing them into "steaks" and marinating over night. I would then mark them on the grill and then build napoleons stacked with grilled peppers and onions and then baking them until cooked through.

Has anybody marinated the larger ones sliced? I'm thinking no larger than a softball. Do they absorb flavors well?

10. Yes I eat them, and have for years. Always enjoy them. I think they have a flavor all their own. I slice and cube them and pan fry in butter. Season to taste, but i usually just add a little salt.

They must still be white inside. If they start to yellow they dont get eaten, although I have trimmed the yellow away and eaten whatever is still white.

11. bassdisaster

bassdisaster Banned

Yes the important part noone has mentioned, yes WHITE or nothing, for me if there is any discoloration other then Pure WHITE I toss em!

BD