Crow hunting

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by Critter, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Anybody else gearing up for crow hunting? I am buying ammo and chomping at the bit to get out there. Need some snow camo bottoms or overwhites in case we ever get some snow. Got a couple prime spots plus I'm sure we will run and gun a bit.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. im ready. love gettin out there after em. great to keep the dog going also!

3. Was thinking about trying it for the first time this year. What do you boys do with your crow?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Been trying to find a crow cd or caller. used to have one that worked wonders but then it took a crap. havent found one since..any ideas?

But man Im ready. We got some great crow spots :) Normally do run and gun and mouth calls.

5. Lastfight, your dog actually picks them up? Hahaha

We either let them lay where we shot them, toss them in the brush or in one case pile them up for the landowner so he can shoot coyotes off them.

Cass, we use a $35 Johnny Stewart crow caller with an external miniamp and speaker. Works well and only cost about $100 for everything.

6. Normally we use um as yote bait but ya I also have cooked and ate them before.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Bought some more ammo and looked at some more snow camo but didn't pull the trigger yet. Anybody have some good plans for a portable open top blind we can build ourselves? Seen a few good ideas but I'm always looking for more.
    My daughter Sydney on her first trip.
    [​IMG]
    Syd and I showing off a cpl.
    [​IMG]
    My buddy Arn after a quick run n gun set up this summer.
    [​IMG]

#7 Critter, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. Youbetcha...Crows are capital F-U-N!

9. Yeah she gets em good for me. As long as they are dead. For some reason she doesn't like it when they attach themselves to her face via their bill. Lol I call her a sissy for it but it doesn't work.:lol:

#9 lastflighttaxidermy, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  10. I've been bit by a crow a couple times so I don't blame your dog at all! You think their done, go to move them into the spread and wham. They don't last long after that though.

11. The fox pro caller works like a champ tested several times since x-mas, but wont make it out until march. My brother will make the Feb opener and keep me posted.

12. After a flock of 100 crows decended on my opening day deer gut pile and pissed off my dad for the rest of the day I think I need to thin the flock a little. Every time we go out hunting deer or squirrels I see and hear them around.

For hunting crows do you need to wear hunters orange?

From what I read you just use a call and shot them with a shot gun, .22 or 17hmr. Right?

13. No orange. They can see color so orange is bad!

14. :coolgleam I'm hoping to get out and try crow hunting for the first time. Just built an economy e-caller (total cost for horn, amp, connector's and cables about $55) from plans found in this month's Outdoor Life. I downloaded quite a few predator and crow calls from Varmint Al's website, to my phone, and connect that to the caller. Seems to be pretty loud. Might buy a few crow decoys off of Ebay, and I'll be ready to go! :)

15. Anybody have some good plans for a portable open top blind we can build ourselves? Seen a few good ideas but I'm always looking for more.

i like to use the cheap camo burlap mostly from mcsports i find 1 or 2
    works good for cover wrapped around trees or sticks with shoe lace
    to hold it up and get inside have put stuff on top maybe make it look like a mound or brush pile can pickup and move any time :evil: