Crawfish trapping?

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by MIpikeGuy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Well, I decided to ask here, sense a trap is involved.

Any of you trap these guys? I plan on doing some this year.

How do you properly tag an underwater trap with your info?

Thanks for any insight!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Done it a few times. Just attach a metal tag with your info on it. Good luck.

Attached Files:

3. Thanks! Those looks tasty!

I saw f&t sells them like 50 for 10bucks stamped!

I know there's other threads with the topic, but I like current talk.:lol:

What time of year can you start putting traps out with success?

I wonder if my pond has many, since it is stocked with bass and catfish. I see mudd mounds every now and then.

My main plane is to trap a bunch on an upcoming fishing trip. A few in the lake and some in the river nearby.

Do you make your own or buy them? I have a frabile crawfish one + a minnow trap, and built one yesterday.

I'll probably used a chopped up pan fish for bait when we're on our trip.

Thinking we will get tons, never seen anyone doing it around there.. or anywhere to be honest.:lol:

Freshwater lobster.... is it just to much work for some people? Sounds like fun to me!
  4. We made our own traps. Where I was catching them, was in a river and I beleive it was the end of March. I would use cans of tuna fish and sardines with holes punched in the cans. That way they can smell the bait but not eat it all, allowing you to catch more. A couple of times checking the traps, I don't think another crawdad would have fit in the trap.:yikes: Just throw all the small ones back so you have more next year.

Good luck and post some pics!!
  5. I hadn't really thought about this before but sounds interesting. I'm not sure that I would like to eat them but I'm wondering if there is a market for them or is it lawful to sell them? :confused: I know my lake is full of them.
  6. I don't think you can sell them without a license. If you like lobster or crab, you would like them.
  7. Michigan DNR law states no comercial harvesting or sale, only for personal use, and you must have an All fish license to harvest.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. OK, i'm good about the no sale part :tsk: but not sure about the license part. :help:
  9. The guide book states you must posses an All Species fishing license to harvest crawfish now. Check it out in the fishing guide, new law went in effect starting for the 2011-2012 new rules changes page.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Just ate some tonight.

Posted from my iPhone.

Attached Files:

11. Nice haul. Did you buy or catch yourself?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  12. I'm visiting my in-laws in Louisiana this week so we just bought some. We boiled about 50 lbs. My sister in-law and her husband have a seafood export type business.

Had a few of these too.

Posted from my iPhone.

Attached Files:

13. Could I buy seafood from them and have it shipped to south west michigan?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  14. Besides having tags on the traps, and the trap being no longer then 24'' are there any other regulations on crayfish trapping? Not much in the regs about it or search via laws in Michigan regarding it.

Do you need a float of some sort attached to the trap? Is there a size limit for crayfish, trap # limit? Number of crayfish allowed in possession?

I know the regs on rusty crayfish, just wondering if I'm missing anything else, I don't want to do anything illegal.

Some good looking seafood dead short!