Cover Hulls Vs. Trappers Antifreeze?

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by gander08, Dec 22, 2011.

1. gander08

Expand Collapse

"mountain tops and the valley below"
    With this being my first year being able to trap and a lot of time on my hands coming up with Christmas break, I think I’m more excited about trapping for my first time than I am Christmas! I have really started to take interest in trapping this past year, and finally have everything I need. I didn’t go cheap about it either, bought good quality so it would last. So my question is…I have trappers antifreeze and Cover Hulls, what do you prefer? Also, if I use just straight cover hulls, won’t it be hard to bed my trap? Also, if I use the antifreeze, should I mix it with the dirt I sift, or just put it in the bed and around the jaws? Thank you and Happy Holidays and Trapping!
    #1 gander08, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  2. springdale

Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Northwestern Lower Pen.
    I'm no expert on K9's (or anything else I guess) but I think the hulls would do a better job. I've used the Anti-freeze and had them walk all over it so I'm going to Peat moss. I dont know if I wasnt putting enough Calcium Chloride on the set or if after awhile you need to re-do it. I just watched a Video and they used peat moss for cold weather. Some of the other K9 guys on here could tell you a ton more than me. If its in the water I have some good luck but the K9's give me fits, Ive caught a few Coyotes, fox and 1 Bobcat, but miss way more than I catch. Good luck with what ever you try.

3. BigWhiskey

Expand Collapse

Southern MI
    I use a calcium chloride or salt along with peat moss and dry dirt. Here is my process:

Dig out trap bed
    Spread light layer of salt
    Peat Moss
    bed trap
    peat moss
    Dry dirt
    then a layer of salt over everything in about a 3 foot diameter

Its not always exactly this way, but you get the rough idea. I still get frozen traps and other problems, but it works for me pretty good. I also try and use deep stepdowns and use mostly peat moss. Good luck.