close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Converting fish finder to ice finder

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by RyGuy525, Dec 16, 2007.

1. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

I have a old Eagle Magna 2 that is just sitting around gathering dust and i decided since i cant afford a vex right now im going to turn that bad boy into my ice fishing fish finder. My question is how do i do this??? Do i have to buy a diffrent transducer or can i some how use the 20 degree skimmer transducer?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. thedude

thedude
    Expand Collapse

easy. stock transducer and 7 amp hour battery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MIfishinGuy

MIfishinGuy
    Expand Collapse

nice! looks like you found a perfect fitting container with a carrying handle.

4. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

So i do have to buy a new transducer? What type do i need?

5. snowman11

snowman11
    Expand Collapse

Ry...

I am buying a Lowrance X67C boat model and hooking up the transducer to a vexilar float (or a piece of pool noodle, which I have A LOT of).

In fact, if you want a piece of pool noodle, I'll bring ya one if we ever meet up to fish. (i might also have an extra battery...but wont offer it til I test)

6. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

So i could use the exsisting ducer or no? I'm going to try fishing saturday if you want to come with me...

7. snowman11

snowman11
    Expand Collapse

I'll be around...I have a party on Friday and it's my wife's turn to drive, so I'll probably be nursing a hangover!

From everything I've read, the existing ducer will work.

8. thedude

thedude
    Expand Collapse

i used the stock transducer and i could see my tiny splitshot in 40' FOW w/ the fishmark 320 in the picture. Prompted me to buy the x67c so i don't use that unit for ice fishing anymore but for 150$ its hard to beat.

9. brdhntr

brdhntr
    Expand Collapse

Yep. You saw mine last year. I did some tinkering and fixed it better. Plus the new 737 has a flasher mode built in.

Looks like I am going to be home with the kids tomorrow, which means I'll be on the water. If you don't have to work, lets meet up. I can give you a piece of pool noodle to use. You can look at how I have mine rigged.

I was on my way out the driveway after I talked to you today. As I pulled out the neighbor got stuck. Pulled him out and here comes the snowplow. 2 hrs of shoveling up in smoke, and I had to dig it back out so we could pick up my older boy. By the time I got done, I wouldn't have had any time to fish, and I was wiped out. Gonna be hurting in the morning.

10. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

I didn't see the picture until i made the second post and then i felt like an idiot. I will rig that thing up for this weekend.

Todd, I wish i could tag along but i have 2 finals tomorrow and i work from 3-11 so i wont be able to. I need to buy a 12v battery and i'm all set. Its good to see you back in the ice forum!

11. snowman11

snowman11
    Expand Collapse

you may check riders hobby....they are used to start airplane motors. i bought a 7ah a few years ago for a reasonable price i believe. tower hobbies has them for 13 bucks plus 12 for the charger...but you'd have to pay shipping

12. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

unless you have one that you are willing to part with i will find one around here somewhere for a decent price. I'm normally pretty good at finding deals.

13. snowman11

snowman11
    Expand Collapse

well, i've got two, but i dont know if they are any good. i can't remember what i pulled them from. just got to find a charger and let them sit overnight, then see how long they'll light a bulb up.

I'll try to get them on a charger tomorrow to see how they do.

14. RyGuy525

RyGuy525
    Expand Collapse

I would appreciate it. More than willing to pay you for the battery if it is in good shape.

15. brdhntr

brdhntr
    Expand Collapse

You can rig 2 6 volt lantern batteries in series. That's how mine is set up. I bought 2 recharble ones (found one a Cabelas for $2.00). I use them on the ice for my finder and with my mojo dove for dove hunting. They are 5 or 6 yrs old and still going strong.