Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Chronograph?

946 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  M1Garand 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I’m just getting set up to start hand loading and one of the items I would like to purchase is a chronograph. But I have absolutely no experience here. What are your experiences with the different brands? I don’t need fancy and I’m pretty good at taking data so I can’t imagine I’ll need history or anything fancy. The Chrono brand gets some pretty strong reviews and is fairly reasonable in the price area. Are there some features I should absolutely not pass up? I can invision using it for my crossbow and pellet gun also.
Thanks for your HO’s

#3 ·
I've had the ProChrono Digital for several years now, putting thousands of rounds through mine on sunny and cloudy days and it always gives a reading. I've heard others who own them on shooting forums say the same. They are also relatively inexpensive and I'd be surprised if you can get a better buy in chrony's. If you look, you may find one on sale for $100 or even less. Check out the feedback on it on the Midway site:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=852429

#6 ·
Yes, I use a regular camera/spotting scope tripod from Wal-Mart. It screws right on the bottom. I'm usually about 15 ft behind the chrony, the main thing is to be sighted in 1st. I usually shoot at a target but the main thing is just stay in the center of the wires, to give a little room for errors. You have to be careful with muzzle-loaders & shotgun slugs. The spent sabot jackets can damage the electronics with a hit. Some guys do a makeshift protective cover with a thin board or whatever over the panel, below & in from of the wires.

#7 ·
I put mine about 10-15 feet, if you put it too close, muzzle blast can affect the readings. As sourdough said, it has a mount on the bottom to screw onto a camera tripod. You can put clear plastic or tape over the front to protect it. I know a guy who had a gas check hit the front of his and they fixed it free of charge. I don't shoot gas checks, MZ's or sabots through mine so I don't worry about it. There's a decent write up on the Chuck Hawks site about it:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/pro-chrono.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.