close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chronograph?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by decoydog, Jan 13, 2010.

1. decoydog

decoydog
    Expand Collapse

I’m just getting set up to start hand loading and one of the items I would like to purchase is a chronograph. But I have absolutely no experience here. What are your experiences with the different brands? I don’t need fancy and I’m pretty good at taking data so I can’t imagine I’ll need history or anything fancy. The Chrono brand gets some pretty strong reviews and is fairly reasonable in the price area. Are there some features I should absolutely not pass up? I can invision using it for my crossbow and pellet gun also.
    Thanks for your HO’s

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 decoydog, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  2. kingfishcam

kingfishcam
    Expand Collapse

Chrono brands make a decent chrono. I recommend getting the infared light set up also. Consistant lighting helps with consistant readings.

3. M1Garand

M1Garand
    Expand Collapse

I've had the ProChrono Digital for several years now, putting thousands of rounds through mine on sunny and cloudy days and it always gives a reading. I've heard others who own them on shooting forums say the same. They are also relatively inexpensive and I'd be surprised if you can get a better buy in chrony's. If you look, you may find one on sale for $100 or even less. Check out the feedback on it on the Midway site:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=852429

4. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

I have the same as above, Pro Chrony Digital. I like it, no problems.

5. decoydog

decoydog
    Expand Collapse

Thanks,
    It looks like this will be a real aid to working up loads. What is the optimal distance from the muzzzel to set up the Chronograph? and does the prochrono adapt to a tripod? That seems like a great way to set up.

6. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I use a regular camera/spotting scope tripod from Wal-Mart. It screws right on the bottom. I'm usually about 15 ft behind the chrony, the main thing is to be sighted in 1st. I usually shoot at a target but the main thing is just stay in the center of the wires, to give a little room for errors. You have to be careful with muzzle-loaders & shotgun slugs. The spent sabot jackets can damage the electronics with a hit. Some guys do a makeshift protective cover with a thin board or whatever over the panel, below & in from of the wires.

7. M1Garand

M1Garand
    Expand Collapse

I put mine about 10-15 feet, if you put it too close, muzzle blast can affect the readings. As sourdough said, it has a mount on the bottom to screw onto a camera tripod. You can put clear plastic or tape over the front to protect it. I know a guy who had a gas check hit the front of his and they fixed it free of charge. I don't shoot gas checks, MZ's or sabots through mine so I don't worry about it. There's a decent write up on the Chuck Hawks site about it:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/pro-chrono.htm