Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Building a Deer Blind Tower

113K views 76 replies 25 participants last post by  330-Trapper 
#1 ·
I am looking for Deer Box Blind Pictures and Ideas of What to build and what Not to add to an enclosed stand...

If anybody has built deer blinds before and Has things they'd add to theirs please post....

I have a steel frame which is 7' tall and 4x8, I can Weld a larger platform if needed to make it Wider than 4':confused:

#2 ·
I built an 8x8 platform shanty on 16 foot poles. The 8x8 is almost to big for one guy to cover all sides comfortably, but when I built mine I had the wife and kids in mind also as my wife hunts and my daughter will next year. And my son who is 6 can't be left out either. Another problem with the size is trying to heat something that big. If you plan to hunt alone 4 ft. is probably plenty big enough and would be easier to heat on those cold days on stand. Just some ideas, hope they help.

#3 ·
Built mine on cedar poles to reduce rotting. Top was 4 by 8. Built a blind on top 4 by 6. that left me 2ft. to step onto and put down my gear before stepping into the blind. Put cross braces on it at 7 oclock/1 oclock postions to reduce tipping. also built a ladder that I screwed right into the stand to help reduce any unstability of the stand. I'm about 14ft. ft. high. Will look for some pics.

#4 ·
I was going to ask this same question. We started an elevated blind in Oct but ran out of time to finish it. I'm looking for ideas like the OP as to what to put on top. Our platform is 5'x6' and elvated 14'. We would like to put a few of these on our property for some of the older hunters that can't get around as well.

#5 ·
Here is a couple I built for my dad a few years back.

This is a 6x6 with 14' 4x4's all wood framing.

This is a 6x5 with 14' 4x4's with a porch. All stel studs for framing. This is the way to go. Alot lighter

Both are just sitting on the ground and are very stout and stable.

#10 ·
I would go 4x6 if you plan to hunt alone, add a foot if not. The porch is also a good idea, if for nothing else to put your tank for a heater on. At the height that your stand is going to be a set of stairs is also a good idea. Mine is 13 feet to the floor and the stairs with a hand rail is great for easy access. I put 8 foot side walls on mine too so it's easy to load my muzzleloader inside. It's more of an area to heat but the extra head room let's you put shelves up to store items on. I also picked up a cheap prehung entry door that is full sized that makes entry easier.

#11 ·
I have a Steel Frame from a Store, this is a strong TV rack frame, 10 times stronger than a Wood frame, I actually plan on pulling it from location to location with my 4wheeler, so I'm planning on having Wheels that can come on and off, or Up and down with steel pins.

The Rack is 7' high and 4x8, It dosen't have a top... Yet, I plan on using treated 3/4" plywood set into the frame, where a steel mesh top used to be.

#18 ·
Pete, how did you get the roof on that one. That is a long ways up there??

I am looking at building one but the wood for a roof just seems to add way too much weight I am currently looking at a Metal Roof and Siding to cut down on over all weight to build one next spring and enclose a stand I have just being it is elevated with only 3 sides but looking to remove the sides and replace with Ag Metal Panels and try and lighten the load a bit. Seems the roof makes it a lot of time and work putting it together and like Pete's picture that is a long way up there to work on the roof that ladder pictured does not even get close to it...

I am looking for info on metal roofing and siding... with pictures if any have blinds with these materials used

Nice Blinds pictured though...

Newaygo1

#19 ·

The steel used on the roof was left over from a polebarn project. The sides on my blind are about 5'1" and 4'11'. Enough for the water to run off. I can't see any reason to build the blind any taller. You can't see anything when you stand up when the windows are waist high. You can pee from your knees and still be looking out your windows.
The wooden outside windows will be hinged next summer. Plexiglass windows inside that flop down. 360 degree vision and shooting. The telephone poles mean that I will never need to worry about the wind.

L & O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.