Beware of the Stinging Nettle !

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by jpollman, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Hi folks,

I was just sitting here watching the game and my wife was outside working in her planting beds. She was doing some cleanup on the last bed out in back. She'd been out there abour a 1/2 hour when she came rushing in the house and back to the bathroom. I went back to see what was wrong. She said her hands and arms were stinging and burning like crazy. She was washing thoroughly with warm soapy water. She then dried them off and put some cortizone cream on. She said it didn't really help. I went out with a pretty good idea of what she'd gotten into. I was correct, she wasn't paying attention and just grabbed hold of about a 3' high Stinging Nettle plant. (It was laying on the ground right next to where she was working)
    It's pretty nasty stuff. Here's a link to a pic and some info on this plant. Take a look and file it in your memory banks. It's almost as bad as Poison Ivy but it is only supposed to last for about 24 hours. Let's hope so !

Stinging Nettle

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. When my experienced guys are bored in the summer they like to send the "green horns" to go weed some specific pots in the nursery. It is funny to watch them freak out when they first touch. They usually swear they got stung by a bee.

In my vast experience of weeding, I have never seen it last more than a couple hours. I guess someone could have a worse reaction. Maybe I better put an end to the 'Nettle Whippings' this summer :p

3. Well,

actually I guess my wife lucked out. She said it felt better after only about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Could have been worse I guess.

Gotta pay attention to what you're doing when you weed ! :)

4. Howdy, John-

Glad to hear Celeste is feeling better! That is some nasty stuff.

Had many a run-in with it as a lad.

Trout, even though I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your knowledge of woodland lore, NO WAY am I eating that!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. FWIW, if you get stung by it grab some nearby dirt and rubb it over the stung parts. I don't know why this works, if it pulls out the little hairs or what, but I do know it reduces the duration and amount of itch. The people that told me about it asked me if I ever saw a dog come out of the weeds and roll around in the dirt.

6. That would make sense, the rolling around in the dirt. I will have to try it next time.

Maybe you could bring some of your "famous Nettle Casserol" to the next meet and greet.

7. jpollman-
    Thanks for sharing your information. I'm always learning new and interesting facts on here:)

8. I have had many run ins with nettles. A cold trout stream really gives some relief. The itch/swelling only last about 30 minutes.

I was trout fishing a small stream about 6-7 years ago and it had nettles everywhere. One time while climbing up the bank to get out of the river, I slipped on mud and went face first into a group of em. Yikes. My face was nice and swollen for about 45 minutes.

9. WOW ! Face first into them ?! That HAD TO HURT ! You must have been miserable. Just lucky you didn't get it in the eye I guess.

10. Trout is right. Nettles are real tasty. I haven't had them since I was a kid but seeing this thread reminded me. I may fix me some this summer. (I'll probably be the only one at my table who'll eat them though):D

A real Michigan woods meal: Venison chops, side of Morels, Nettles, and for desert a handfull of Oatmeal & dried Michigan cherry cookies. A good Merlot optional.