close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best line set-up for jigging Walleye

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by MillDoo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MillDoo

MillDoo
    Expand Collapse

I am so tired of ice fishing cant wait for that dam ice to melt. Anyways what do most people use when jigging. I personally have used fireline 3lb dia/8lb test with a 3-4ft florocarbon leader. I have been fishing mostly in ST Clair river where I seldom encounter snags. Is the leader neccessary and if so is it better to use a barrell swivel with 2 knots or tie a knot such as a surgeons or leader knot. Just looking for some input, thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Mods

I use floro as a leader because if I do encounter a snag its easy to break loose. You can use a swivel or a uni-uni knot. (North american fisherman is doing knot tests and so far thats the best) Oh yeah, I use green 6lb Fireline.

3. Slick fishing

Slick fishing
    Expand Collapse

Myself no leader just fireline, I dont remember what test I have on the reels at the moment.. The color should be a color you can see very easy like green, pink, you get the idea..Cya Slick

4. KEITH207

KEITH207
    Expand Collapse

ThatÂ’s basically my setup too. I find in ultra clear water the flouro leader does make a difference. I use a very small #12 barrel swivel just because its faster then tying two back to back uni-knots.

#4 KEITH207, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  5. DE82

DE82
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I LOVE power pro. I used to use fireline until it tore apart my rods. Now I stick with Power Pro, it handles a lot like mono too. For a leader I will normaly use 6lb maxima ultra gree. I just use a uni-to-uni knot to tie them. - Bryon

6. Natlight

Natlight
    Expand Collapse

I use the Hi-Vis Power Pro. I changed it up last year and it made a world of difference over the mono when "chasing the line". I also start with a 3 ft mono leader in 6 to 8lbs tied with a swivel so I can just snip the jig off and tie another on quickly if need be. When the leaders get to about a foot short I toss them and make another.:)

7. Nascar31Fan

Nascar31Fan
    Expand Collapse

Went with 8lb Fireline with 6lb mono leader, about 24" long, connect with small barel swivel. Seemed to work great for me.

8. Canuck136

Canuck136
    Expand Collapse

6 lb green (for visability in the dark) Fireline, #14 barrel swivel and 10 flouro leader.

9. Old Blue

Old Blue
    Expand Collapse

8# fireline. No mono leader unless water is super clear.

10. ice fishin nut

ice fishin nut
    Expand Collapse

!2# test 2# diameter Power Pro, no leader..... I also use a no-knot fast snap instead of tying the jig on.... Never had a problem....

11. radiohead

radiohead
    Expand Collapse

6lb test Fireline with a 36" flouro leader connected w/ a small barrell swivel.

12. Houghton laker

Houghton laker
    Expand Collapse

10# Power Pro...barrel swivel....8# floro leader.......Too much line twist for me without the barrel swivel !.....Oh yea....and every knot is a Palomar!;)

13. tinmarine

tinmarine
    Expand Collapse

10# Stren super braid tied to the jig no leader no snap or swivel with uni knot. With Fin-S, baby.

14. fishinthed

fishinthed
    Expand Collapse

If you're relatively new to the game, I'd recommend using jigs that have some action of their own, such as curl-tail grubs, marabou tails, or paddle tails (swim shads and the like).

15. MillDoo

MillDoo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response, I may switch to PowerPro line, hear alot of good things about it. We should be out there soon.