close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baldwin Bear tags

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by love to hunt, Feb 12, 2017.

1. love to hunt

love to hunt
    Expand Collapse

With the talk of the bear tags being doubled this year how many years do you think it will reduce the waiting to draw a tag?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn
    Expand Collapse

The real question on the increase in kill tags is...how long will it take before bears are over harvested.

giver108 likes this.
  3. plugger

plugger
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

After what the bears did to my corn last year, I hope soon.

FullQuiver likes this.
  4. multibeard

multibeard
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Mike I have been waiting for a farmer to talk about bear damage in corn. Bear damage makes coon damage look pretty minor. Did they flatten it by rolling in it like they did on the farm I hunted on in the UP. It seemed like they walked straddle of a row to wipe there butts on the way out of the field.

On nice thing about bear droppings after they have feed in corn fields. It was easy to spot as it was bright yellow.

I hope it shortens the time until I can draw a permit so I do not have to hunt out of a wheel chair.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  5. plugger

plugger
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

The bears make big circles of flattened corn and seem to pile the stalks up in the middle some. I did not even realize the damage until we combined. The bears go into the field and leave the outside standing, unlike everything else that starts at he edge and works inward. Having bears around sounds good until you have to live with them. They can be very destructive and adapt to human presence very quickly. Home owners in the Ruby Creek area have had a lot of nuisance problems.

6. Welchman

Welchman
    Expand Collapse

The doubling of tag numbers in the Baldwin unit will definitely reduce the number of points required for a draw, but by how much is a math question that's well above the C I got in high school algebra.

The only thing I know for sure is that I have 13 points and I am going to draw a tag this season, while bear numbers are high.

7. Ford 800

Ford 800
    Expand Collapse

At one time I thought it would be "cool" to have bears in the Baldwin Unit. Well, after this past deer season, my "wish" became true. I only bait one of my stands and that stand became void of deer with bear hitting it constantly and spooking deer out of that area. Now I understand what UP hunters face with wolves being around.