Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

AS South Branch Reports?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  swampbuck 
#1 ·
Heading up for a weekend of fly fishing with my son. We really enjoy the Mason Tract stretch of the South branch. Anyone know what the water is like right now? This time of year it can be pretty dicey one day and damned near perfect just a few days later. Any help on the general conditions would be greatly appreciated. And, of course, I will try to leave some stories after the weekend as well.

#4 ·
No Sulphurs to speak of. (Figures.) But the caddis were hatching both days in a fury. We stopped counting the brookies we caught early on Saturday, but likely the total surpassed six dozen. All brookies (which we thought was odd since we normally will catch at least as many browns - not a one this time) in the 5" to 10" range. The photo is a pretty representative catch. Had a blast on the South branch in a few spots, as well as two stops on the Holy Waters... Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fish Fisherman Fishing

#5 ·
No Sulphurs to speak of. (Figures.) But the caddis were hatching both days in a fury. We stopped counting the brookies we caught early on Saturday, but likely the total surpassed six dozen. All brookies (which we thought was odd since we normally will catch at least as many browns - not a one this time) in the 5" to 10" range. The photo is a pretty representative catch. Had a blast on the South branch in a few spots, as well as two stops on the Holy Waters... View attachment 215345
On the two trips I've taken up there this year, brook trout have been more abundant on both the main and south branches than in years past (and there are always plenty). Chalk up to better survival due to a warmer winter?

#8 ·
What's the best way to fish the Mason Tract area? Is there good access from the trail for hiking/wading, or would a canoe be a better choice? We have a cabin nearby and I was planning on doing some exploring around there this summer.
Tons of access and trails to walk back to your car. The Holy Waters guide book at the link includes very detailed information on the South Branch. Why a bunch of elitists who want the river to themselves would publish such a good guide book is a mystery to me. This guide has probably led more people to "secret spots" on the river than every newspaper story ever written. Too funny.

http://www.challengechapter.org/index.php/river-guides

Reactions: Boardman Brookies
#17 ·
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will make it up there in a week or two to do some exploring. I can't believe the number of black bear that are showing up farther south. I had one run right in front of our car last year while we were driving up 75 just south of West Branch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.