Appalacian Outlaws

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by MERGANZER, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Watching this show this weekend I wondered about the possibility of growing ginseng in Michigan. I see it is very highly regulated but at $500.00 to $1,000.00 per pound I wonder if people will start doing this more.

Ganzer

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cultivated, or grown Ginseng brings substantially less on the open market, a buyer can spot grown, cut and burnt seng a mile away. Plus being that it is not annually harvested makes it less appealing. I believe Wisconsin has some huge seng farms, their security for keeping critters out is amazing, seems like everything likes the berries.

#2 GIDEON, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  3. After reading some of the laws for Michigan, it does not seem like it would be worth the trouble. Besides, they appear to be having so much fun on Appalachian Outlaws finding, steeling, chasing, and buying the stuff I would hate to intrude.:rolleyes:

D

4. WOW! We have way too many laws! Gotta love big government

Ganzer

5. I just checked the laws for here in Indiana, much easier to do down here.:D

D

6. You would be better off growing weed as a care giver and it's legal!

7. What is cut and burnt ginseng?

I have another question for you. If someone acquired seeds, planted them in the on private wooded property, the same as land that wild ginseng grows in, and just lets it grow with no other upkeep, would the ginseng look like wild or cultivated?

#8 petronius, Feb 11, 2014
  8. Top quality wild ginseng does not include cultivated, woods grown, dirty, scrubbed, cut up, broken, or small root. Burnt root has no value.

9. We have the Ginsing laws in Michigan because it was being overharvested. That's what sucks. You get one of these "fad" plants that become really popular and everyone gets greedy. Next thing you know, the plant is restricted or protected.

If people harvested responsibly, that wouldn't happen.

10. Replanting seng berries is a given when digging, usually takes 6 or seven years to grow, burnt sang is sang that has been harvested from a area that was affected by a forest fire, cut sang is harvested from an area that has had a right of way cut through the woods, ie. gas line, power lines etc, oddly though sang dug around old tram roads retain their value.

The prices you see and hear about is for premium sang- clean, dry sang, if you watch the show, you notice that the General is offering 400 a pound to his diggers, that is usually for wet dirty sang.

If you noticed on the show the guy from georgia replanted the berries correctly, back in immediate area, covered with leaves, not dirt......I know of patches where my dad and I replanted berries, went back years later and redug, not saying that what we dug was specifically from berries that we replanted, but still no difference......pants seng

No need for berries if you wanna try home grown seng, I have seen ginseng sprouts advertised for sale in the backs of a lot of magazines.

Once you would start digging, there are other plants that can be dug and sold also, they dont bring as much, but are usually more plentiful, and easier to find. We also target a limited amount of yellow root, not to sell but for personal use. It is very plentiful

#11 GIDEON, Feb 11, 2014
  11. I have never seen some of the things portrayed in the show. But the phrases, these mountains are full of shallow graves, and mining cracks serve at least one useful purpose have passed by my ears more than once

12. I can understand making it illegal on state and fed lands but not on the private lands is all. I understand why many plants are to be left alone as people tend to not be good stewards of the land.

Ganzer