243 for deer

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Ralphy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. The 243 is an ideal cartridge for deer sized game, have no worries. It will kill as sure as a larger belted mag or an itty bitty 223. The shooter and his proficiency will determine the outcome.

It wont be long before folks will start debating whether the 22 long rifle is enough for squirrels...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #16 Niles Coyote, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. +1

Couldn't say it any better. I bot a Marlin X7 for my grandson's first BG rifle. The .243 WIN is "enough gun" for any deer that ever walked in Michigan.

NB

3. I agree with what others have said that it is fine for deer.My son took a nice UP seven point two years ago and it worked perfectly.He waited till the buck turned broadside and made a good shot and punched his tag.Another plus is you can get great varmit loads if you are up for coyote hunting.

4. I agree with all of the above posts. Do not let me talk you out of a new rifle, that would be very bad, everyone needs a new rifle. You do know the 243 is made from a 308 case? They necked it down to .243. The felt recoil is because of lighter bullets. My question is have you tried lighter bullets in your 308?

5. Try an auto. remington makes a reasonably priced auto in .308, .243 ect.. The autos have very little recoil.
    Or as allready mentioned a good muzzlebrake can reduce recoil allot and add nice recoil pad and
    that .308 wont kick much at all.

6. This summer I have purchased two rifles in .243, one left hand and one right hand, for my granddaughters who wil be starting to hunt deer this year. I have no doubts about the .243 being a good deer rifle with the right load. Other options would include the .260 Rem, which is my deer rifle of choice, the 7mm-o8, as others mentioned and the .308. I have a Ruger compact .308 with a muzzle break and I don't think it kicks any harder than my .260. Try Mag-Na-Port muzzle break on your .308.

7. Every deer that I have shot with my .243 thought that it was plenty. They were just as dead as any deer shot with a missle launcher.

8. Smartest move I ever made was picking up a .243 to deer hunt with.

I practice a lot more with it over cringing shooting my old 7 mag before every shot.

9. Agreed.

I bought a Ruger M77 for both of my boys in .243 Winnie. Three shots have been fired from them at deer. All three were one shot kills. Works for us.

10. Thanks for the input guys I just might try a muzzle brake. What do you think of a limb saver recoil pad? I have my mothers 243 model 70 Winchester I put a Nikon pro staff 3 x9 on it and mind you not to knock it but the trigger on it is horrible and my savage will shoot circles around it. I'm sure if I get some trigger work done to it or perhaps buy a timmney trigger for it the groups will get better but it doesn't seem to kick to much, those accue triggers have me spoiled my son has a Remington 700 bdl in 30.06 and that trigger isn't to bad. Is the .150 the smallest grain you can commonly buy for a .308 or can you order something smaller I really do love the gun and the American classic is a very good looking gun. You all have certainly answered my my questions if the 243 is enough gun for white tails. Thanks once again for all the great input and ideas, just might go for the muzzle brake I totally forgot about that as an option if it truly cuts down on the kick and people hear confirm that And the recoil pad don't do it that's the way I'm going to go

11. Another option if your gun will shoot them are the managed recoil loads that Remington sells. My 11 year old is shooting my 30-06. The .308 load shows a 125 grain bullet at 2660 feet per second.
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil/managed-recoil.aspx

12. Muzzle brakes will put all the noise back at ya. I shot a .300 mag with ear plugs & muffs and it still made my ears ring. Will never shoot a gun with a break on it again. If you do go that route when hunting better bring ear protection. I would go for a different gun.

13. Took your ideas and shot some .150 grain bullets and put a slip on recoil pad over the stock pad to try it out because the stock one was pretty thin and guess what problem solved! It was very easy to shoot and quite manageable no need for muzzle brake or a new gun, dang it. Took it to the range today and left with a giant smile on my face, thanks again fellas for all your ideas.