.22 handgun for small game

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by KBSPEED, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Wondering if anyone uses a .22 handgun for squirrels and or rabbits. I had a guy I worked with that bought a ruger and absolutely loved it for suirrel hunting. Said he would never go back to a long gun. Wondering what other people have and what they like.

Thanks for the help

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Browning, Buckmark
    I checked both before I bought. Glad I bought the Browning!

3. Ruger Mark I

Old, but still working without flaws.
  4. I love the Buckmark with the heavy barrel. Extractors are a little weak for the high velocity ammo, but the standard stuff kills a small critter just as well.
  5. Smith & Wesson 617 works great.
  6. The ruger single six is a dandy gun.
  7. yup love my buckmark. though recently i've been thinking about a single six with a long barrel,,, just looks fun to shoot.
    i don;t think you can go wrong with any quality .22 pistol, assuming you spend the time to learn to shoot it.
  8. Smith & Wesson No Bull Automatic 5" barrel with a red dot scope, it is alot of fun.
  9. The best small game .22 that I have ever shot/owned was a Ruger Mark I Bull bbl with a 3 power scope. Killed rabbits on the run and squirrels with that combo. If I were putting a sight of that gun today, I would use a reflex red dot , rather than a conventional scope. I also like the Ruger Single Six for its dual cylinders 22/22 Mag.
  10. I have used the Ruger Single Six for some time and love it.
  11. It looks like you have a beagle or 2. I would NOT recommend trying a .22 pistol while hunting with a good beagle. You will not be able to hunt rabbits with a shotgun the rest of your life! You'll get hooked. Instead of having your dog bring the rabbit around once, shooting once, and that's the end of the chase cause you waxed the rabbit within 15 minutes of jumping it; you'll end up shooting 9 or 10 times, listening to your dog circle the rabbit 3 or 4 times, and have an hour of fun (in addition to having a rabbit that you can eat all of the meat without worring about chipping a tooth on shot).

I just wouldn't do it. It's like smoking or even drugs. JUST SAY NO!:lol:
  12. Ruger long barrel single six. Interchangeable to chamber regular or mags. I love it. Make hunting tree rats a blast
  13. I have a .410 handgun that I rabbit hunt with now but would really like to try it with a .22 handgun with a red dot scope. Last year I used my 12 gauge twice and the race was over right away. I could really care less about shooting rabbits I would rather listen to them honds for an hour.

Thanks for all the input so far!!!!!!!

14. I'll second that.;)