Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Cooking and Brewing > Fish Recipes
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2005, 01:22 PM

Default What to do with Carp?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I've been lurking for a while, picking up some great recipies, but finally registered so I could ask questions. I need to know what to do with Carp. I know some people won't even eat it, but my nephew has been having GREAT luck catching them lately and keeps bringing them to me. So far I've been smoking and pickling them, which is what my grandma taught me, but I'm getting a surplus of them! They're running about 6-8 lbs, and have about 2-3 lbs of fillets. Can they be fried or baked? Right now I have one that's about 8 lbs on a stringer in my backyard fish pond, scaring the heck out of my goldfish but I don't want to clean it until I decide what to do with it. Yes, I know the 'you catch it, you clean it' rule, but I must not have taught it to my nephew well enough! At least the 'remains' make good fertilizer tilled into my garden!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Guide

Default carp

Carp is considered a very good eating fish in Europe. Take a look at some of the german or other Europe cook books. Key is getting the "mud vein" out of the side along he lateral line. Try a lite breading with milk/egg wash followed by
flour/bread crumbs in a light oil heated to be about smoking...should work good.
Remove this ad...  
Old 05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

Welcome to the site! Ill tell you what I do. Get that big SOB home and clean him up and then fry him in some liver and onions. MMM MMM. at least my Great Grandpa thought it was good. Then again he thought every animal could be eaten even Rats! I know pretty gross, but what you expect hes a redneck from the hills of West Virginia. I have heard of people making fish sticks outta em. good Luck
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM

TAKE A 3 TO 5 LB. carp gut it and scale it. leave the skin on.
Stuff the in sides with sweet potatoes and brown sugar.
cover and bake at 350* until it flakes. about and 1 1/2.
8lb is too big taste like saw dust.
Might try smokin some or grind it up and make patties tell em it walleye.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Michiganiac

I've always wondered if they are good too because the shear amount of meat on those things. I know in Europe they are sold for a lot of money as prime fish and a delicacy. If you try the deep fryiing etc please post and let us know if it is worth the effort i have always wanted to try but was afraid i'd just make a mess and the meat would be nothing but mush.

AW
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Pickling the Carp does sound interesting. What is the recipe?

I have tried frying Carp, deep frying and baking the Carp. Not really happy with any of those cooking methods.

But, when I did some serious brining and smoking then the lowly Carp really started to shine. If the fish is gotten from clean waters that is the only way to go in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Guide

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to swmfdotcom
Fish smoke it!!!!

I'm not to much a fan for carp,but growing up i had a neighbor that used to smoke it,and then pickle it in a mason jar. I thought it was a good snack for taking along fishing.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Guide

My aunt removes the head and entrails and pre-cooks it in the microwave. The skin will peel off easily and the meat will flake off the bones easily as well. She puts the meat in a bowl and mixes in bread crumbs, a couple eggs and seasonings. (salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.) She then makes patties out of the mixture and fries them. You wouldnt know it was carp!

Captn---
Old 08-19-2005, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 50Users Photo Gallery

I ate a lot of it when I lived in Germany Back in the late 70s..I had A German girlfriend who would fillet them,remove the skin and any fat, cut out the mud vein, then soak the fillets in iced, (lots of ice cubes in the water) salt water (almost brine) for 2 hours,,then batter and deep fry..flaky, white, and sweet..good eats there..I have not eaten one since...caved in to "peer pressure" from my brothers who have never tried them, and have threatened to never allow me to fish with them again if I ever tried to keep one on their boats..Since I don't have a boat of my own...whaddya gonna do?

REST IN PEACE RANDY!

You are missed by you MS Friends!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Guide

Photos: 21Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Springer4Ever Send a message via MSN to Springer4Ever Send a message via Yahoo to Springer4Ever
Wink Reciepe

I tried this once I filet the carp placed the filets on aluminum foil put garlic butter seasoning salt pepper place it on thr grill for about 15-20 depending on thickness when its done EAT THE ALUMINUM FOIL its great. Seroisly I tried to smoke a carp once and it was horrible and if something doesnt taste good smoked its not meant to be eaten
Old 09-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer4Ever
Seroisly I tried to smoke a carp once and it was horrible and if something doesnt taste good smoked its not meant to be eaten
Seriously, keep the carp, or any fish, on ice until cleaned and then on ice until you get them home. Keep in the fridge until ready to put into the brine and keep the brine cold. Two things will cause bad tasting smoked carp--the fish was allowed to get to warm for to long after being caught and before being smoked and/or it came from stagnant waters.

I have smoke carp caught in the ST. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, and numerous inland lakes. Only the carp from the stagnant ponds had an off taste which was very oily and nasty tasting. In fact, I just had a big piece of smoked carp before I started reading the msg board this afternoon. That carp came from Fremont Lake.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Master Sportsman

I've got a buddy who takes them and fillets them and grills them on his George Foreman Grill? He loves it-sprinkles it with salt and pepper-grills some onion with it and I've never tried it-but he really likes it
Old 10-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Sportsman

Default Pine Board

Alright I saw the topic and it triggered a memory of an article I read once.

Filet, remove the mud vein.

Get a pine board just bigger then the filet about 1/2" thick.

Place the filet on the board.

Preheat oven to 350.

Salt, pepper, and butter the filet generously.

Slice onions and place under the filet between the board and fish.

Bake for 10-20 min until flakey.

Remove from oven.

Take fish off the board, put it in the trash and eat the pine board!

Man I thought this was funny when I first read it so I thought it would give someone else a chuckle. Not to hip to the idea of eating carp, but I will try just about anything once. It's just not a fish that I would go through the hassle of cleaning and cooking...

Cheers,

Mosdet
Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

"Alright I saw the topic and it triggered a memory of an article I read once.

Filet, remove the mud vein.

Get a pine board just bigger then the filet about 1/2" thick.

Place the filet on the board.

Preheat oven to 350.

Salt, pepper, and butter the filet generously.

Slice onions and place under the filet between the board and fish.

Bake for 10-20 min until flakey.

Remove from oven.

Take fish off the board, put it in the trash and eat the pine board!"

I heard the same thing but wrap it in horse manure. Any way, I say a recipie in a cookbook for smoked carp ribs that actually looked and sounded good, be interesting?!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 38Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by emom55
I've been lurking for a while, picking up some great recipies, but finally registered so I could ask questions. I need to know what to do with Carp. I know some people won't even eat it, but my nephew has been having GREAT luck catching them lately and keeps bringing them to me. So far I've been smoking and pickling them, which is what my grandma taught me, but I'm getting a surplus of them! They're running about 6-8 lbs, and have about 2-3 lbs of fillets. Can they be fried or baked? Right now I have one that's about 8 lbs on a stringer in my backyard fish pond, scaring the heck out of my goldfish but I don't want to clean it until I decide what to do with it. Yes, I know the 'you catch it, you clean it' rule, but I must not have taught it to my nephew well enough! At least the 'remains' make good fertilizer tilled into my garden!
Welcome to the site, I tried smoking a couple of these things and the results wern't very good. fertilizer is a good use, Them Carp they fight like crazy. Im glad he shows a interest in fishing. on your next trip to Michigan try to bring him out. Im sure he would enjoy it here.

What else could he fish for in his area?