Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Banned

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default winchester x-150 muzzleloader anyone have one??

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I got one for my wedding gift it is the camo stock stainless barrel, my question is does anyone have one or ever shoot one? If so what were you using and what shot the best Pellets or powder. Also what about powerbelts that is what the book said to use. So any input would be great

Thanks

Rich
Old 12-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 21Users Photo Gallery

I'm not familiar with that gun, but I can offer information about the powerbelt bullets. On another thread, there was a discussion about these, plus I have shot 2 deer with these bullets myself. The general concensus, and I agree, is that these bullets are very accurate, very deadly, but don't tend to go through deer. They transfer all their energy inside the deer, which is good, but don't leave an exit wound, which sometimes makes trailing a little tougher. I have shot two does with these bullets, both with 150 grains of pyrodex, and neither were pass-throughs.

Boat name: Aloan Again
Port: Grand Haven
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 38Users Photo Gallery

I've shot 2 deer with Powerbelts...both under 30 yds. They leave an enormous hole when they do pass through...and at 30 yds just about anything will pass through. BTW, both deer dropped in their tracks! That says the energy was transferred to the deer from the bullet! If I were you, I'd try a couple bullets through your gun. I do not have that gun, but I do know every gun likes different bullets for some reason. As for powder...go with the pellets! These are great and much less hastle that pouring loose powder. For added convenience and less fouling, go with the triple 7 pellets. I saw em at Walmart for $24 for a box of them. This is cheaper than Cabelas catalogs.

Addicted to fishing, Hooked on hunting
Member M-S.com pre-Y2K re-boot
Old 12-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Offshore This

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandeerslayer
I got one for my wedding gift it is the camo stock stainless barrel, my question is does anyone have one or ever shoot one? If so what were you using and what shot the best Pellets or powder. Also what about powerbelts that is what the book said to use. So any input would be great

Thanks

Rich
I bought a x-150 this year and killed 2 deer with it during rifle season. I'm shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 165 grain bullet. I got a package of 20 pellets, 10 sabots and 10 bullets from gander mountain for 7 bucks (I think). I bought them origianlly because they were cheap, but I like how they performed. The recoil on my rifle is about Zero. I killed a 7 point at 52 yards and a Doe at 85. Both of them without a scope. The open sites on the gun are pretty nice. I sighted mine in a couple inches high at 40 yards. The buck I was high and broke his back, the doe I took out the heart and she went about 30 yards. My pattern was about an inch at 40 yards. I'm sure the only reason it was that much is the guy shooting it . Have fun with it, it's a blast to shoot. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Sportsman

Send a message via Yahoo to eaglesnest49227
Default Winchester X-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandeerslayer View Post

Thanks

Rich
I have had one since they first came out. I use 80 grains of Pyrodex pellets and 295 grain premium holllow point Powerbelt bullets. I have shot several deer with this and never had a problem, Dropped them in there tracks.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default Winchester

My former brother in law has been using one of these for about 5 or 6 years and uses 777 150 grains 3 pellets and traditions t-schock bullets/sabots which are a little hard to find but I saw them at Bass Pro Shop for sure this year. He has taken many deer out to 150 yards.