michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sound Off (MichiganForums.com) Sound off about anything you want, politics, news, sports. Must be a member for 30 days to post here.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Guide

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Default Legal age to purchase rifle/shotgun

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
My son recently turned 18 and asked me if he was able to purchase a rifle or shotgun now. I told him I didn't know but I was sure someone on this forum would know. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Rupestris

18 for a rifle or shotgun. 21 for a hand gun.
As far as I know, an 18-year-old can be given a hand gun as a gift but can not purchase.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 18Users Photo Gallery

You sure about being able to get one as a gift? How would one go about registering it beforehand?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Used Handguns

I think 18 yearolds can buy used handguns as well, just not used. I remember hearing that somewhere.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 20Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Ron L Send a message via Yahoo to Ron L

From the NRA ILA website.

Michigan State Law:
Quote:
No rifle, shotgun or handgun may be sold to a minor under 18 years of age, a convicted felon, or a person under indictment.
Quote:
To purchase a handgun from either a dealer or private individual, the buyer must obtain a license to purchase from the chief of police or the county sheriff. The buyer must be 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, a resident of Michigan, have no felony convictions or pending charges, have never been adjudicated insane (unless later restored by court order), and score 70% on a basic pistol safety review questionnaire.
Mich. Comp. Laws Ann. secs. 28.421a-422b; 28.425; 28.425b;28.425c-d; 28.425f-g; 28.425l; 28.425o; 28.429; 28.430; 123.1101; 750.224; 750.226; 750.227; 750.236; 750.324; 752.891

Federal law (GCA of '68) says:
Quote:
Specifically, Title I prohibits dealers from selling any firearm or ammunition to any person who is: e. less than eighteen years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle or f. less than twenty-one years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.

So basically, it appears that someone 18-20 may purchase a handgun from an individual, but not from a FFL, or they may have a handgun transferred to them from an individual as a gift.

At least that's my take on it. FWIW, I bought a Ruger Single Six from a private individual when I was 19. I got the permit from the Grosse Pointe Park police. True, some things may have changed, I mean, that was over 20 years ago, but the laws cited above are currently posted on the NRA ILA site.

Last edited by Ron L; 12-01-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 65Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy L

little off topic, but kinda ties in. About a year ago my mon took my then 14 year old little bro. to a local store to buy a BB gun. She went in with him, he found the gun he wanted, took it to the check out and my mom was ready to pay for it, but the person at the register refused to sell it to her because he had carried it up there. She said it was illegal for her to sell a firearm to a person who was going to give that firearm to a minor. Well, after much "debate", my mom said that she would go elsewhere to buy the gun.

Justin Isherwood.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

18 for a long gun.

21 for a hand gun. From an FFl

And as stated earlier you may purchase a hand gun from a private citizen at 18. But not from a FFl dealer.

When I turned 18 I had to go through this mess.

My dad had to buy the gun then register it. At the time that cost $50 dollars in Dearborn hgts.

Then I had to pay the $50 again and re-register it in my name.

They have the absolute worse handgun registry department in Michiagn.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy L
little off topic, but kinda ties in. About a year ago my mon took my then 14 year old little bro. to a local store to buy a BB gun. She went in with him, he found the gun he wanted, took it to the check out and my mom was ready to pay for it, but the person at the register refused to sell it to her because he had carried it up there. She said it was illegal for her to sell a firearm to a person who was going to give that firearm to a minor. Well, after much "debate", my mom said that she would go elsewhere to buy the gun.

While it is illegal to sell a firearm to someone that is purchasing it for someone else (it's called a straw purchase), a bb gun is not a firearm. Maybe there is another law regarding bb guns, but I haven't heard of it. What store was it? Some stores are pretty stupid when it comes to laws. I have heard of some refusing to sell ammo after midnight because it was "against the law."
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 65Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy L

well, i won't say the name on here, but its a Huge retail store that has location everywhere.

Justin Isherwood.