Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River This basin deserves a forum for itself with the world class fisheries including Muskie and Walleye.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Default Perch after dark

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Just wondering if anyone ever does anygood after dark (late bite) for perch on the pond. I have never tried it but with it getting dark earlier now I have stopped my weekday fishing excursions for this reason alone.
This fishing 1 day a week stuff is fer the birds
It's important to effectively address the challenges that come along, yet there is no need to blow them out of proportion. Keep your focus on the good you can do, on the value you can create, and most of the difficulties will be far less difficult.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

The perch shut off when it's dark. But on the bright side you can troll up some nice walleye in the spots that the perch are in. I'v fished them a bunch this summer at night. (I work until 9 pm ) The eyes hit harnesses on 3 ways . I would end up with 2 to 5 every time out. the best bite is from sunset to 2 hrs into total darkness. Bring a light . I use a little florescent light to light up the tips of the rods . Clean your 3 ways often .

I did one time have perch bite all night long in lake simcoe, Ice fishing??. Don't know why but its rare.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I have read that a perch's eyesight is rated fair at best at night...With that said, I have hit perch thru the ice at night but it was only twice, and I have hit them this time of year in lit up areas where minnows congregate. My brother got a 15" at 2:00 in the morning fishing a lit up area back in Sept. of 1988. But as a general rule, these are exceptions as their eyeight is substandard at night...If you wanna try a spot or two at night, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out...