Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > MichiganTroutStreams.com > Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers The Two-Hearted River, Fox River, Chocolay River, Escanaba River, Ontonagon River, Menominee River, St. Mary's River.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Tracker

Default Salmon Run Start?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Hello,

I will be all along the northern shores of the upper peninsula next week and wanted to know if I should take my salmon fishing gear along on my family vacation. We are going to be sightseeing at a lot of waterfalls and tribs feeding into lake Superior. I normally only fish the lower peninsula, so i have no idea if the salmon run in any decent #'s in any tribs feeding into Lake Superior or not and if they do, is it too early for any decent #'s in the rivers next week? I am not asking for names of rivers, but only to know if it would be worth my time to scout for some salmon next week.

Thanks,

AMA732MX
Old 08-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Normally the general rule is when the leaves fall, normally last week of september/first week of october. And to say the least the run is pretty sporadic in most rivers since there is not very much stocking on the north shore.

It been pretty cool latley so i guess there is always a chance you can find a few, but not very likley.
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Tracker

Ace,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the Salmon and Steelhead runs started earlier up their in fall and later in the spring than the lower peninsula? By the end of september the fish are in thick in most of the LP rivers. Do you fish the UP often?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

me and ace are both students in Marquette and we do fish a lot. The steel run much later in the spring but the salmon seem to run later, believe it or not, in the lake superior trips. I dint see a single salmon untill late september last year and early october is when i saw the most. The runs are pretty lousy up there and the fish are a lot smaller then the LP rivers.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Tracker

Pikedevil & ACE,

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I might as well wait a few more weeks and try to hit a few down here.

Pat
Old 08-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 197Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikedevil
The runs are pretty lousy up there and the fish are a lot smaller then the LP rivers.
AMA....Not sure if this is referring to norther shore and west U.P., but if your not far from the Soo, thats the place to go! I go there every year and fish along the rail at the Power house right in town. There's lots of kings there and should be showing up around now. Their won't be alot now, but they'll be silver! I fish there well after dark and into morning using glow in the dark KO wobblers and cleos. Use camera flash to glow them, this works great. Usually go from labor day on, and have never fished a night off that rail and been skunked!! Middle to late sept. can produce limits often. Most of the fish seem to average around 12 to 14lbs. but many caught around 20. And I've seen 30 pounders caught there also. Great place to park and fish. Only have to walk 20 feet from car
Old 08-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default ........

Hey ralph is it normally pretty crowded? Never been over there to fish but might make a day trip out there a couple times this year.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 197Users Photo Gallery

sent you a PM.