Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sound Off (MichiganForums.com) Sound off about anything you want, politics, news, sports. Must be a member for 30 days to post here.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Michiganiac

Default Appalacian Outlaws

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Watching this show this weekend I wondered about the possibility of growing ginseng in Michigan. I see it is very highly regulated but at $500.00 to $1,000.00 per pound I wonder if people will start doing this more.

Ganzer
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERGANZER View Post
Watching this show this weekend I wondered about the possibility of growing ginseng in Michigan. I see it is very highly regulated but at $500.00 to $1,000.00 per pound I wonder if people will start doing this more.

Ganzer
Cultivated, or grown Ginseng brings substantially less on the open market, a buyer can spot grown, cut and burnt seng a mile away. Plus being that it is not annually harvested makes it less appealing. I believe Wisconsin has some huge seng farms, their security for keeping critters out is amazing, seems like everything likes the berries.

Last edited by GIDEON; 02-11-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to cireofmi Send a message via Yahoo to cireofmi

MICHIGAN GINSENG ACT
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-act-184-of-1994
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

After reading some of the laws for Michigan, it does not seem like it would be worth the trouble. Besides, they appear to be having so much fun on Appalachian Outlaws finding, steeling, chasing, and buying the stuff I would hate to intrude.

D
Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Michiganiac

WOW! We have way too many laws! Gotta love big government

Ganzer
Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I just checked the laws for here in Indiana, much easier to do down here.

D
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default Grow bud instead

You would be better off growing weed as a care giver and it's legal!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDEON View Post
Cultivated, or grown Ginseng brings substantially less on the open market, a buyer can spot grown, cut and burnt seng a mile away. Plus being that it is not annually harvested makes it less appealing. I believe Wisconsin has some huge seng farms, their security for keeping critters out is amazing, seems like everything likes the berries.
What is cut and burnt ginseng?

I have another question for you. If someone acquired seeds, planted them in the on private wooded property, the same as land that wild ginseng grows in, and just lets it grow with no other upkeep, would the ginseng look like wild or cultivated?

Last edited by petronius; 02-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery

Top quality wild ginseng does not include cultivated, woods grown, dirty, scrubbed, cut up, broken, or small root. Burnt root has no value.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERGANZER View Post
WOW! We have way too many laws! Gotta love big government

Ganzer
We have the Ginsing laws in Michigan because it was being overharvested. That's what sucks. You get one of these "fad" plants that become really popular and everyone gets greedy. Next thing you know, the plant is restricted or protected.

If people harvested responsibly, that wouldn't happen.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
What is cut and burnt ginseng?

I have another question for you. If someone acquired seeds, planted them in the on private wooded property, the same as land that wild ginseng grows in, and just lets it grow with no other upkeep, would the ginseng look like wild or cultivated?
Replanting seng berries is a given when digging, usually takes 6 or seven years to grow, burnt sang is sang that has been harvested from a area that was affected by a forest fire, cut sang is harvested from an area that has had a right of way cut through the woods, ie. gas line, power lines etc, oddly though sang dug around old tram roads retain their value.

The prices you see and hear about is for premium sang- clean, dry sang, if you watch the show, you notice that the General is offering 400 a pound to his diggers, that is usually for wet dirty sang.

If you noticed on the show the guy from georgia replanted the berries correctly, back in immediate area, covered with leaves, not dirt......I know of patches where my dad and I replanted berries, went back years later and redug, not saying that what we dug was specifically from berries that we replanted, but still no difference......pants seng

No need for berries if you wanna try home grown seng, I have seen ginseng sprouts advertised for sale in the backs of a lot of magazines.

Once you would start digging, there are other plants that can be dug and sold also, they dont bring as much, but are usually more plentiful, and easier to find. We also target a limited amount of yellow root, not to sell but for personal use. It is very plentiful

Last edited by GIDEON; 02-11-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder46 View Post
After reading some of the laws for Michigan, it does not seem like it would be worth the trouble. Besides, they appear to be having so much fun on Appalachian Outlaws finding, steeling, chasing, and buying the stuff I would hate to intrude.

D
I have never seen some of the things portrayed in the show. But the phrases, these mountains are full of shallow graves, and mining cracks serve at least one useful purpose have passed by my ears more than once
Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
We have the Ginsing laws in Michigan because it was being overharvested. That's what sucks. You get one of these "fad" plants that become really popular and everyone gets greedy. Next thing you know, the plant is restricted or protected.

If people harvested responsibly, that wouldn't happen.

I can understand making it illegal on state and fed lands but not on the private lands is all. I understand why many plants are to be left alone as people tend to not be good stewards of the land.

Ganzer