Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > MichiganTroutStreams.com > South West Michigan Streams and Rivers
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

South West Michigan Streams and Rivers The Muskegon, The Grand, St. Joe, The Kalamazoo. Please do not reveal specific holes.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Grand River Smallies

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I have not been catching big numbers by any means and the water still has a stain to it. Yet been having a great time and got a couple nice ones Sunday evening fishing with another forum member using assorted stick and crankbaits.

Grand River Smallies - South West Michigan Streams and Rivers

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Tracker
Rank Type

I hear you. Yesterday morning I went on a Grand R access scouting trip. After lunch I was driving thru Portland so stopped and waded below the dam for about an hour and a half..... caught 16 smallies, 3 rock bass, a crappie and a catfish. Not much size to any of them but a nice variety i thought....... i drove home happy. The cooler weather sure got me thinking BIG fish.
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Guide

With the stained water are you optimg for brighter colors? Havent really figured out Grand River smallies yet esp. in the summer months.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Tracker
Rank Type

When i was fishing the water did have a light stain but with the afternoon sun visibility was pretty good.... at least 3 ft. All I threw was jigheads with curly tailed minnows...... 3 different colors... light green with silver flake, pumpkin with green and black flake, and a dull nightcrawler color without any flake. I caught fish on all 3 so I don't think it made much difference. I fished before the recent rain raised water levels some, so visibility might be less now.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Master Sportsman

Next time throw anything you have thats white. 1/6 oz rooster tails with a silver blade have been my go to all year when spin fishing. If slinging flies try Murdich minnows or sex dungeons in any combo of white, blue or yellow with red eyes. Larger tequeelys have been pretty good too. We've boated multiple 18"+ smallies this summer along with the occasional pike or walleye.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Master Sportsman

We have been having most of our luck on brighter colors with the stain and fishing later in the evening. We did get a large mouth on a buzz bait but spinner baits and cranks proved much better with limited visability.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Master Sportsman

Heading out this evening again, but yes brighter seems better and add a little noise/rattles seemed to help as well. Last year with the low water fly fishing was a ton of fun, but it has been really difficult for me on a fly in the Grand.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Master Sportsman

Fishnaked called it for my go to...white&yellow back big googly eyes...but pumkinseed tubes dragged has been effective lately. yellow spinners and rapela's 3inch black backs near any log/cover.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Master Sportsman

Have to say good bye to warm water fish on the Grand for me this year. The fly fishing for me just turned on before the water came up oh well glad my spin gear got it done too. Some of my fun fish from a recent trip. Have great fall.