Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Sound Off (MichiganForums.com) > Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com)
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com) Must be a member for 30 days to post here.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Why ammo is hard to find

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
They are buying it before it gets to the stores.
http://www.infowars.com/dhs-purchase...of-ammunition/

Department of Homeland Security Purchases 21.6 Million More Rounds of Ammunition

Federal agency has now acquired enough bullets to wage 30 year war
Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
February 7, 2013
The Department of Homeland Security is set to purchase a further 21.6 million rounds of ammunition to add to the 1.6 billion bullets it has already obtained over the course of the last 10 months alone, figures which have stoked concerns that the federal agency is preparing for civil unrest.

A solicitation posted yesterday on the Fed Bid website details how the bullets are required for the DHS Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, New Mexico.
The solicitation asks for 10 million pistol cartridge .40 caliber 165 Grain, jacketed Hollow point bullets (100 quantities of 100,000 rounds) and 10 million 9mm 115 grain jacketed hollow point bullets (100 quantities of 100,000 rounds).

The document also lists a requirement for 1.6 million pistol cartridge 9mm ball bullets (40 quantities of 40,000 rounds).
An approximation of how many rounds of ammunition the DHS has now secured over the last 10 months stands at around 1.625 billion. In March 2012, ATK announced that they had agreed to provide the DHS with a maximum of 450 million bullets over four years, a story that prompted questions about why the feds were buying ammunition in such large quantities. In September last year, the federal agency purchased a further 200 million bullets.

To put that in perspective, during the height of active battle operations in Iraq, US soldiers used 5.5 million rounds of ammunition a month. Extrapolating the figures, the DHS has purchased enough bullets over the last 10 months to wage a full scale war for almost 30 years.

Such massive quantities of ammo purchases have stoked fears that the agency is preparing for some kind of domestic unrest. In 2011, Department of Homeland Security chief Janet Napolitano directed Immigration and Customs Enforcement to prepare for a mass influx of immigrants into the United States, calling for the plan to deal with the “shelter” and “processing” of large numbers of people.

The federal agency’s primary concern is now centered around thwarting “homegrown terrorism,” but information produced and used by the DHS to train its personnel routinely equates conservative political ideology with domestic extremism.
A study funded by the Department of Homeland Security that was leaked last year characterizes Americans who are “suspicious of centralized federal authority,” and “reverent of individual liberty” as “extreme right-wing” terrorists.

In August 2012, the DHS censored information relating to the amount of bullets purchased by the federal agency on behalf of Immigration & Customs Enforcement, citing an “unusual and compelling urgency” to acquire the bullets, noting that there is a shortage of bullets which is threatening a situation that could cause “substantial safety issues for the government” should law enforcement officials not be adequately armed.
As we highlighted last month, the DHS’ previous ammunition solicitation was awarded to Evian Group, an organization that was formed just five days before the announcement of the solicitation and appeared to be little more than a front organization since it didn’t have a genuine physical address, a website, or even a phone number.

While Americans are being browbeaten with rhetoric about the necessity to give up semi-automatic firearms in the name of preventing school shootings, the federal government is arming itself to the teeth with both ammunition and guns. Last September, the DHS purchased no less than 7,000 fully automatic assault rifles, labeling them “Personal Defense Weapons.”
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Well I guess Nobama will get us citizen gun owners one way or another - either through bans or government induced scarcity.

Why ammo is hard to find - Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com).

Hoppe's no.10

Ambrose Pierce , American journalist, 1842-1914.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

It's a bunch or crap. Government contracts are negotiated in advance. The current raise in commercial ammo prices are due to idiots running around like they are Chicken Little.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: 157Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ESOX Send a message via Yahoo to ESOX

http://www.businessinsider.com/dhs-f...-rounds-2013-1

Quote:
Last March we found 450 million rounds of .40 caliber ammunition slated for delivery to the Department of Homeland Service and its agencies.

Weeks later we found an additional request for 750 million rounds. The news wasn't reported much, though the order forms are still floating around.

Lets see now.
Quote:
** Signing off the DHS FLETC home page we noticed a small banner at the bottom right stating firearms training requires about 20 million rounds annually. So give-or-take five million or so. No wonder they need so many deliveries.

450,000,000 ordered/25,000,000 a year for training. That's a 18 year stockpile.

750000000 +450000000/25000000 is a 30 year stockpile. What do they know that we don't know?

Last edited by ESOX; 02-08-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOX View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/dhs-f...-rounds-2013-1

Lets see now.

450,000,000 ordered/25,000,000 a year for training. That's a 18 year stockpile.

750000000 +450000000/25000000 is a 30 year stockpile. What do they know that we don't know?

They know what they have planned...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Tracker

Good thing I just bought my first handgun in .40 s&w

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

Looks like the Obama stimulus plan is concentrated on the arms industry...

The family that slays together stays together
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
It's a bunch or crap. Government contracts are negotiated in advance. The current raise in commercial ammo prices are due to idiots running around like they are Chicken Little.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
Good thing I just bought my first handgun in .40 s&w

So did I. Have you bought rounds for it yet? When you can find them they are outrageously expensive. I'm considering buying a 9mm to save cost on ammo.

"I just showed my dad this thread he called me a pot stirrer and can't understand why everyone just doesn't agree with H to the U double B, H to the unter and walk away." -Don Walters Jr.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Guide
Rank Type

Photos: 36Users Photo Gallery
Default ammo

Lots of 40 and 380 at the MC sports here. 9mm is very hard to find. My son just bought a 9mm at a shop up north and they sold him 3 boxes but they didnt have much left and only sold it to people who bought a gun. Steve
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

Quote:

For those that have a memory, this same thing happened four years ago, lasted about 6-8 months if I remember correctly.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Hunter gatherer
Rank Type

Photos: 34Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUBBHUNTER View Post
So did I. Have you bought rounds for it yet? When you can find them they are outrageously expensive. I'm considering buying a 9mm to save cost on ammo.

Partially true, however:

Government contracts usually have clauses that forbid the vendor from selling the same item to other's at a lower price.
Plain packaging as opposed to retail may make a few pennies difference but that's it.

We all know the Government, $600.00 toilet seats anyone?

With that much brass no wonder the price of copper is higher than a penny's face value.

Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself

The guy that smiles when things go wrong...has already found someone to blame it on.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Partially true, however:

Government contracts usually have clauses that forbid the vendor from selling the same item to other's at a lower price.
Plain packaging as opposed to retail may make a few pennies difference but that's it.

We all know the Government, $600.00 toilet seats anyone?

With that much brass no wonder the price of copper is higher than a penny's face value.
The gun shop I went to had only had the high dollar Remington loads, over 1.00 per round. They did not have any target rounds in stock so of course I knew I was going to pay through the nose. 9mm was around half that. I did find some .40 winchester target rounds at Meijer for around $18.00 per 50. At 4pm on Thursday and I couldn't find nor had the time to mess around looking for someone to unlock the glass door.

"I just showed my dad this thread he called me a pot stirrer and can't understand why everyone just doesn't agree with H to the U double B, H to the unter and walk away." -Don Walters Jr.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDEON View Post

For those that have a memory, this same thing happened four years ago, lasted about 6-8 months if I remember correctly.
Really? Four years ago the department of homeland security purchased 1.625 billion rounds of ammunition???
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Okay, fine. Let's accept the premise that the gov't purchasing 1.625 billion rounds of ammunition has zero effect on the availability and/or pricing of commercially available ammunition. Care to explain why the government is hoarding that much ammunition?