Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > IceFishingMichigan.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

IceFishingMichigan.com Now that the cold weather is here it time to get those shanties out.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Thermal vs Regular fabric Shanty

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
If you have had a thermal version of a shanty, please reply on whether or not it was worth the extra money and extra weight.

I currently have a Clam Expedition and was looking to get a little bigger one and came across the Frabill Outpost; $190.00 for the regular fabric and $280 for the Thermal version.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Tracker

When the sun is shinning I am usually wearing a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt in my thermal frabil. They are pretty awesome.
Remove this ad...  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

I would spend twice the amount for my thermal Frabill, didn't even need my heater the past few days and it was pretty cold, under 10*. That and if you run your heater it doesn't condensate and start dripping on you, spring for the thermal, you'll be glad you did.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Guide

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery

I have a bass pro clam style pull over shanty that has the thick thermal fabric and I love it. I only ever use a lantern for heat and that is plenty even when extremly cold out. I never really have fished out of a lighter fabric shanty so I cant say it is way better but I love mine.

I can only imagine that the fabric life is better too, more durable i would imagine.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 27Users Photo Gallery

I can say thermal may hold heat but my older style otter has a heavy canvass and is less susceptible to ripping, tearing and burns from heater than my dads new frabil. I like old style shanties with heavy canvass. Heavier sure but more durable IMO.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via AIM to limige Send a message via Yahoo to limige

Well that's a call for you to make.

I have the base camp thermo, never fished in the other cheaper version so I can't say the difference.
What I can tell you is its very roomy inside not bad to setup and is awesome for 3-4 people to fish.

But if you fish a lot by yourself its cumbersome hard to heat so much space and not fun in the wind.

I like it for 2 people or more. For by myself I want a one man flip. Being able to easily move and find fish is important. That base camp is too much shanty for one Guy.

As for construction. I just had to hand sew and reinforce my upper corners because the threading let go and a pole pushed threw. This is only after one year of light use.

And it lets way too much light inside for my liking.

I used to have a large frabill flip awesome shanty but even more heavy and cumbersome. Cheap sled got holes in the bottom the first month of use. Other than that fantastic shanty.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

I was wondering the same thing when I was shopping for a hub shanty a few years ago. Research turned up some surprises.

The term "thermal" is a marketing gimmick.

Look for the thickness of the fabric... 300 denier or 600 denier. (The "thermal" shanties are usually 600 denier)

You will find some shanties marketed as "thermal" cost twice as much other other shanties using the same quality fabric that don't use the marketing gimmick of "thermal."

You can find shanties the same size and quality of fabric as the Frabill Outpost for nearly half the cost.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish Trapper View Post
I was wondering the same thing when I was shopping for a hub shanty a few years ago. Research turned up some surprises.

Look for the thickness of the fabric... 300 denier or 600 denier. (The "thermal" shanties are usually 600 denier)

You will find some shanties marketed as "thermal" cost twice as much other other shanties using the same quality fabric that don't use the marketing gimmick of "thermal."

You can find shanties the same size and quality of fabric as the Frabill Outpost for nearly half the cost.
Could be but I'm not buying it. My thermal Frabills' material sure is alot thicker than my normal Frabill, so I don't see how this statement could be true. You can easily tell the difference in the two. Not to mention if I sit in the falling snow with a heater on in my normal Frabill it condensates and drips like mad, in the thermal, none whatsoever. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely hands down totally worth it!!!! Cuts the wind way better and I now hardly have to run my heater. Plus you won't get the pin hole leaks like u do with the other stuff.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Send a message via AIM to limige Send a message via Yahoo to limige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfish Trapper View Post

Your wrong. A few companies may do that but frabill and clam have a layer of thinsulate woven in.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Michiganiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by limige View Post
Your wrong. A few companies may do that but frabill and clam have a layer of thinsulate woven in.
yep yep.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor junkie View Post
Could be but I'm not buying it. My thermal Frabills' material sure is alot thicker than my normal Frabill, so I don't see how this statement could be true. You can easily tell the difference in the two. Not to mention if I sit in the falling snow with a heater on in my normal Frabill it condensates and drips like mad, in the thermal, none whatsoever. The proof is in the pudding.
Maybe you didn't understand the post.
I never said there wasn't a difference between the regular and "thermal" Frabills. I only said that using the term "thermal" is a marketing gimmick that refers to the heavier of the two materials used.

The normal Frabill is only 300 denier... the thin stuff.

The point is that there are 600 denier shanties out there that cost a lot less than the Frabill "thermal" shanties.

Last edited by Crayfish Trapper; 01-26-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Maybe you need to do some more research on the so called "thermal" shanties and what they are made out of. Because I don't know of a thermal shanty out there, that isn't thicker than the regular model. :banghead:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Tracker

Denier is the strength or density of the fabric. The thermal shantys have insulation sown to the inside of outer shell. Having owned both i would go with the thermal. On sunny days no need for a heater.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Guide

I just got the clam bigfoot from gander a few days ago. We chose to save the $150 and get the non thermal version and we were plenty happy with it. It was less than 10 deg. the night we used it, and we were comfortable in it with no heater running. we turned on the lantern later and I was fishing in a sweatshirt even with the door open. Not saying that thermal isn't better, but for a majority of the uses in the LP it isn't necessary to me. Especially not for the increased cost... not when I can heat an 8'x8'x7' shanty with a single lantern in single digits!