Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting Posts about hunting the whitetail deer in MI with firearms, bows, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Guide

Default logging?!?!

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
should selective cutting part of a woods affect deer? the neighbors have some sort of logging going on and the deer disappeared for about a month now...i think they are finished should things go back to normal now?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 67Users Photo Gallery

Depends on how much logging was done and how the habitat changed. If they did a crappy job and have tree tops and brush everywhere I can just about guarantee where the deer are. Crappy in our eyes usually is very attractive to deer. We have a couple thousand acres in the U.P. and we have been doing cutting for the last 30 years and the deer love cutting for alot of different reasons. But not knowing where your hunting or your habitat and alot of other things its hard to say. I dont believe logging chases deer out. While cutting yes, but I believe they return soon after it ends and if it created attractive cover and food then I would say your neighbors probably have some deer living there and loving it. My experiences are not in small acre cutting. Most of our cuttings were several hundred acres so my experiences may not be the same as yours if they are only cutting a few acres rather than a few hundred. But I do not think logging hurts hunting but it can alter movement and that could be your issue.

Last edited by CaptainNorthwood; 10-05-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

If anything it will help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoob2010 View Post
should selective cutting part of a woods affect deer? the neighbors have some sort of logging going on and the deer disappeared for about a month now...i think they are finished should things go back to normal now?

One possibility is that they are using that logged area more heavily now. When we cut we typically see heavy nocturnal use by deer of the downed tops after we leave. It can look like a cattle yard in the morning. Human use of a feeding area does not typically scare deer away. For example, deer will use a hay field the night of the day it is cut. They will be in corn and bean fields soon after the equipment leaves after the harvest. On the other hand, human disruption of bedding can clear deer out for some length of time, especially during deer hunting seasons.

Depending on local habitat the loggers might be creating a situation where those tops on the ground are something deer crave and so they are hanging closer to the candy. The deer would not be concerned about the loggers and may bed nearby knowing that when they leave they can hop up and get a dandy meal.

Another explanation is that they are cutting the best bedding area that supplies your hunting area with deer, and pushing deer off. But that is less likely if logging is going on, since good bedding (during hunting season) does not typically coexist with woods that need to be logged.

logging?!?! - Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNorthwood View Post
Depends on how much logging was done and how the habitat changed. If they did a crappy job and have tree tops and brush everywhere I can just about guarantee where the deer are. Crappy in our eyes usually is very attractive to deer. We have a couple thousand acres in the U.P. and we have been doing cutting for the last 30 years and the deer love cutting for alot of different reasons. But not knowing where your hunting or your habitat and alot of other things its hard to say. I dont believe logging chases deer out. While cutting yes, but I believe they return soon after it ends and if it created attractive cover and food then I would say your neighbors probably have some deer living there and loving it. My experiences are not in small acre cutting. Most of our cuttings were several hundred acres so my experiences may not be the same as yours if they are only cutting a few acres rather than a few hundred. But I do not think logging hurts hunting but it can alter movement and that could be your issue.

We were typing at the same time Captain and Bersh. Good advice.

logging?!?! - Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 113Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
Depending on local habitat the loggers might be creating a situation where those tops on the ground are something deer crave and so they are hanging closer to the candy. The deer would not be concerned about the loggers and may bed nearby knowing that when they leave they can hop up and get a dandy meal.

Another explanation is that they are cutting the best bedding area that supplies your hunting area with deer, and pushing deer off. But that is less likely if logging is going on, since good bedding (during hunting season) does not typically coexist with woods that need to be logged.
Instagram
Google+

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Guide

its only an 80 acre woods with half of it being logged surrounded by corn and a recently cut bean field so i bet ur right that they are in that thicker stuff that was left behind...thanks for the info!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 19Users Photo Gallery

on state land when they clear cut the deer disappear for a few years till it starts to fill back in then its a buck magnet the thicker it fills in the better.

Lots of food and cover. My fav is when they leave oaks and pines scattered around in it this makes it awwsome hunting in 3 years.

So I guess it depends, how did they log the property?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 100Users Photo Gallery

I'm in a similar situation. My neighbor to the south is actively cutting firewood adjacent to a hinged area and my neighbor to the north is undertaking a major logging/firewood operation adjacent to my heaviest cover.
I ran a camera on a plot approx. 100 yds from each of these boundries (middle of my property) and I had regular daytime feeding going on in the plot, although it appeared they were entering from the east and west (not the effected area).
All of what they are cutting is dead ash so the availability of browse increasing with tops isn't an option to a large extent.
I'll use their activities to my advantage and adjust accordingly.

T
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 67Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post

We were typing at the same time Captain and Bersh. Good advice.
That was pretty good. Great minds think alike........