Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > MichiganWaterfowl.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Tracker

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Michigan Sandhill Crane Season???

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Was checking out the February issue of woods-n-water and noticed an article about the EUP CAC talking about an open season on Cranes and from what I gather the idea got some support.

I for one would love the chance to bag one of those flying dinosaurs. Even if they made the bag limit 1 per day I would still dedicate time to chasing "the ribeye of the sky".

What do you guys think the chances are of the state actually backing some science based hunting or is this bird going to have morning dove status forever?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Idk if they'll allow it but I've seen a huge increase in crane numbers over the last 2-3 years. Id love to shoot them myself. ive shot them in Texas on a trip and they're amazing birds

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Remove this ad...  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Guide

That would be so much fun. I would give it a shot if I could get 1 or 2 per season,

LOL but that would depend on the split or zone.... just kidding guys... lol
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

That and a mute swan season would be nice. I know where those are piled up right now!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDGOOSE View Post
If we were to face a nuclear holocaust, the only things to survive would be roaches, flies and bigfoot decoys.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Tracker

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

At our farm in Cass county we have a huge problem with these, last year just after planting season we had a invasion of them. They basically walked up and down the corn rows plucking the little bit of green corn stalks that where sticking out of the ground just like you use to see in the old looney tune cartoons, anyhow we had the DNR come out and they really helped us out......he told us that we could shoot 2, we said 2 an hour, 2 a day, or 2 at a time, please elaborate? He said no I mean 2 and that is it. Well needless to say there where 1000's of them in our feilds and the neigboring fields, we ended up having to replant about 50% of our fields. We hired some neighbor kids to sit and watch the fields all daylight hours and everyday until the corn got big enough to where that bird would leave it alone. Everytime they landed they would take off on their 4 wheelers and chase them away.....So I am all for a season.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Korthals Ugly Dog Owner
Rank Type

Photos: 93Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly808 View Post
At our farm in Cass county we have a huge problem with these, last year just after planting season we had a invasion of them. They basically walked up and down the corn rows plucking the little bit of green corn stalks that where sticking out of the ground just like you use to see in the old looney tune cartoons, anyhow we had the DNR come out and they really helped us out......he told us that we could shoot 2, we said 2 an hour, 2 a day, or 2 at a time, please elaborate? He said no I mean 2 and that is it. Well needless to say there where 1000's of them in our feilds and the neigboring fields, we ended up having to replant about 50% of our fields. We hired some neighbor kids to sit and watch the fields all daylight hours and everyday until the corn got big enough to where that bird would leave it alone. Everytime they landed they would take off on their 4 wheelers and chase them away.....So I am all for a season.
If you make them happy with your paperwork they will increase the number for you over the next couple years. Shouldn't of been DNR who came out. Wildlife Services should of told you how many you can take.

Griff
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

We hunted them in Texas too. What a riot. Our guide had two big chessies and wouldn't use them on em, said too many dogs were killed by crippled cranes. Excellent eating also. I would love a season on them.

Bambi makes a cute sandwich!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

Just about every open AG field in the EUP has been visited by sand hill cranes. They even drop into my food plots for a quick snack. I would like to see a season for these birds. I want to find out if they are really they "ribeye of the sky" as some say. I'll be planting barley just in case this becomes a wildlife order in 2012.

Some of October's EUP CAC meeting minutes

Quote:
3. Sandhill Cranes/Crop Damage: Mr. Hoy stated that he wanted to discuss this issue with the
Council to see if there was support for a recommendation to establish a hunting season for
sandhill cranes. There are a tremendous amount of cranes. He brought his request to the
Tahquamenon Sportsmen’s Club. He understands that a permit can be obtained to shoot the
sandhill cranes, but he’s not sure how the process works. He asked Engadine farmers to come
to the meeting to inform the Council of the problems they were having with the sandhill
cranes. Mr. Gribbell, a farmer from the audience, reported the problems he has been having
with the cranes, indicating they can take out a few acres at a time. Mr. Hollnagle, manager of
the Luce County airport, also reported problems stating that at times there are quite a few
cranes at the airport. The airport goes through a federal process, but they have to prove they
are already harassing the cranes. There is an agricultural program in which they receive about
$400 a year to remove the cranes. Mr. Gorniak asked how many birds are typically at the
airport; Mr. Hollnagle replied that it ranges between 50‐200 cranes. He has to put out a notice
to the airmen in Minnesota when he sees that many. They are costing the airport money. Ms.
Giddings asked if the airport had obtained a lethal control permit. Mr. Hollnagle stated that
they have in the past, but only two a day can be shot. They didn’t get a permit this year as
they went back to harassing them. Discussion continued. Chair Pershinske asked what action
is needed by the Council. Mr. Minzey indicated that the sandhill crane falls under the
migratory bird act and the legislature has to declare them a game species. A recommendation
can be sent to the DNR Director. He stated he feels there are enough birds for a harvest
without hurting the population. However, it may be difficult to get it through to a state vote.
It is a worthwhile effort as the population problems will only escalate. Chair Pershinske added
that the bulk of the problem comes from migration. Recently, he noticed about 500 birds
sitting on 5 acres of land. Mr. Hoy stated that in his view, they are affecting the waterfowl
hunting; there are so many sandhills that they clean the oats and corn out quicker than the waterfowl can find it. Mr. Lawless asked if there is a problem in other parts of the state. Mr.
Minzey stated that the southern lower peninsula is also experiencing this issue. Chair
Pershinske stated that the Farm Bureau passes a resolution every year to make sandhill cranes
a game species. Mr. Hoy thanked Mr. Gribbell and Mr. Hollnagle for coming at his request to
inform the Council of the issues.

Mr. Hoy made a motion that the Council support and encourage the DNR to spearhead a
legislative movement for the establishment of a sandhill crane season. Chair Pershinske
asked if there was any discussion on the motion. Mr. Devillez asked if there was any science
indicating that this species was increasing nationally. Mr. Minzey stated that he doesn’t have
that information available at this time; he noted there is a sandhill crane census. Mr. Lawless
asked how many states have a season. Mr. Minzey stated Tennessee, the Dakotas, Nebraska,
Montana, Wyoming; most western states. Mr. Becks supported the motion made by Mr.
Hoy. Ayes: All. Nays: None. Absent: Mr. Buckingham, Mr. Carr, Mr. Duke, and Mr. Ford.
Motion carried.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

It'll never happen. Dove season part 2 regards.

R.I.P.4XGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Guide

^^ + 1

What Joe wrote....

Rather we spend money and political capital on having a dove season.

Nash Buckingham
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

Why does it have to be a state vote on this matter? Management of our natural resources should be based on sound science not emotion. Who makes thèse final décisions ? Why not propane bangers which work in other areas, not kids flying around on four wheelers tearing up a newly sprouting field, although i would have loved to do that. Crop depradation is no laughing matter when it hits you in the Pocket book.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
It'll never happen. Dove season part 2 regards.
I dont think it would be an issue like the dove season was. Sandhill cranes don't fly into peoples yards and eat off their bird feeders. That was the problem with letting people vote on a dove season, they only saw doves as a cute bird that hangs around their yard.

Most people in the general public probably couldn't identify a sandhill crane if you showed them a picture of one. Therefore most people wont care if there is a season for them.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Guide

I would love a crane season, goose hunting in the EUP we've had multiple chances at cranes but always have to watch them fly by. The problem I heard was that Michigan is a big flyway for the cranes and when you get down south you are lucky to see 10 cranes your whole season. So population numbers arent as good as they should be. Thats just what I have heard as to why we dont. I would also love to have a dove season, actually did a project on that one year for a class.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavie View Post
Why does it have to be a state vote on this matter? Management of our natural resources should be based on sound science not emotion. Who makes thèse final décisions ? Why not propane bangers which work in other areas, not kids flying around on four wheelers tearing up a newly sprouting field, although i would have loved to do that. Crop depradation is no laughing matter when it hits you in the Pocket book.
A vote for cranes being game birds is up to the legislature. They have to specifically identify game birds. Once that's done, DNR can then manage them.

Remember, doves were identified as a game bird via Tabor's bill, but the antis forced a referendum (i.e., put on the ballot for elector vote) that ultimately overthrew that piece of legislation and returned the dove to non-game bird status.

So, the question is: Will the antis put up a fight on the crane? If so, I'd rather go for a dove season as it will allow much more hunting opportunities than crane.

Nash Buckingham
Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 92Users Photo Gallery

The average citizen will hear Crane and think of the Blue Heron.

"The only ethical shot is the one you don't take" - Abraham Lincoln