Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training Upland birds, and the use of dogs and dog training.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Guide

Default Bill Hillman training DVD's???

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Anyone have any experience with Bill Hillman's DVD's? I'm looking at the "Training a Retriever Puppy" DVD, but I don't want to spend $129 if his program doesn't work. Trained my last lab with Fowl Dogs I and II and Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basics. I was generally happy with the results, but I'm always looking for more/better training methods. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd appreciate those too.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Master Sportsman

Northwind Enterprize has some train dvd's. I bought there grouse maps this year and was very happy with the maps not sure about the training dvd but hope to get it for x-mas. www.northwindenterprises.us
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Default Bill Hillman's Video series

Bill Hillman is the top derby dog trainer in the country 5 times highpoint Derby dog. His training video's are down to earth and shows the owner /handler how get it done.

Milage will vary depending on the background and experience of the viewer and how well the viewer can grasp the importantance of getting the basics down right. Without proper foundation you have nothing to turn to if a problem arises. This concept can not be stress enough in starting a retriever pup.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Buy it...

It is best puppy video I have seen! I even took his principles and used for pointing dogs. (replaced Sit with Whoa) It is simple, and keeps it fun for the pup but keeps building on the thing the pup learns...

Old 12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 71Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundogguy View Post
Without proper foundation you have nothing to turn to if a problem arises. This concept can not be stress enough in starting a retriever pup.
Any pup for that matter.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger-44 View Post
Anyone have any experience with Bill Hillman's DVD's? I'm looking at the "Training a Retriever Puppy" DVD, but I don't want to spend $129 if his program doesn't work. Trained my last lab with Fowl Dogs I and II and Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basics. I was generally happy with the results, but I'm always looking for more/better training methods. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd appreciate those too.
Ruger,

The difference between Hillman's method and Stawski's is that Bill uses a very light hand and almost tricks the dog into learning the lesson without using the "conventional" leash and choke chain method. If you are looking for a different way that uses a little less force I would highly recommend it. Don't get me wrong this is still a force method of training but in my opinion worth the money. If you don't believe me hop on the retriever training forum (google the RTF) and do a search.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing."
Mike Lardy
Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Guide

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like I'll place the order for it tonight. I've seen a few YouTube videos from the DVD and I liked the methods. I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. Just got the new pup yesterday so I've got a little time before she's ready to start working for real.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."