Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Default How long can a dead deer lay?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
First year deer hunter here. What is the best way to keep a dead deer from rotting? The reason i ask is because the way thigs are workin out for me for the youth hunt if i kill a deer saturday the fastest i can get it to a processor is sunday morning...so i might just pass on a few deer in the am and tag one in the pm...:so say i get one how can i make it last before it rots? Should i field dress it right away or wait a few hours? Do i put it in a game bag? Help!!! Also how long till bacteria growth starts?

=TP
Old 09-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Always field dress it as soon as possible. The main reason is to get the carcass to cool quickly. Hang the deer to let the rest of the blood run out of the carcass. If temps stay below 50 degrees, most guys will let the deer hang for a few days (or even a week or 2) to allow the muscles to loosen up and make the meat more tender. Just like aging beef. Do not remove the hide until you're ready to cut the deer up.

If it's warm and you cant take it to the processor right away, you can put a few bags of ice in the body cavity where the guts were. Cold storage is another option if there's one in your area. Usually costs around $10/day.

Last edited by Uncle Boopoo; 09-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Remove this ad...  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Never any reason to wait on field dressing. Shoot him Saturday PM, field dress him, hang him from one of your "acorn" trees, and he'll still be in great condition come Sunday morning.

Good luck on the youth hunt.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

What they already said..and good luck!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Guide

...first shoot the deer, then let's talk!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

Call me crazy but I think a dead deer can lay...forever..it's dead.. Sorry couldnt resist...As stated above field dress immediatley..

TEAM WILSON--Mess with the best,get gutted like the rest..
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

This is a completely different property but thanks for the "acorn" tree comment you snuck in there.

=TP
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

@treehopper why wouldnt you ask in advance....as my question stated "should i field dress immediatly or wait?" you told me to wait to kill a deer then ask. If i would have taken the time to post and wait for a response the guts would have been left in for hours......so ill ask now thank you...

=TP
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 197Users Photo Gallery

Don't know where your hunting, but there are some places that butcher deer, and even some that don't that will let you hang one in their cooler till next day if its hot out for a fee. Just a thought. But definately gut it out as soon as possible, and be careful with the bladder, urine isn't good on the meat. None of the intestine/stomache juices are either, be careful to not taint your meat. Good luck. Wash out cavity also if you can, even if its with a water bottle and some stream or lake water from nearby.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Guide

I gut them where they lay. and skin them as soon as possible.
Hide comes of easier when there warm.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Guide

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery

as everyone has stated field dress ASAP, 1 to help in the cooling of the meat 2. it makes the deer a lot lighter to move. believe it or not Bacteria growth is actually good for meat, the bacteria is what tenderizes the meat. If your terribly worried about bacteria growth you can rub the cavity down with vineger, which will create a less than perfect enviroment for bacteria growth. Basically a filet mignon is a cut of meat where they have let the bacteria tenderize it than the trim the exterior "rotted" portion off and serve the inner tender deliciousness., Hang the deer(keep it out of direct sun), what i do is poke a hole in the front of the neck, stick a rope through it and hang a couple bags of ice on the inside of the chest cavity.

www.michigandeertracknhounds.com
Michigan Deer Track'N Hounds
Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 197Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkriep2006 View Post
as everyone has stated field dress ASAP, 1 to help in the cooling of the meat 2. it makes the deer a lot lighter to move. believe it or not Bacteria growth is actually good for meat, the bacteria is what tenderizes the meat. If your terribly worried about bacteria growth you can rub the cavity down with vineger, which will create a less than perfect enviroment for bacteria growth. Basically a filet mignon is a cut of meat where they have let the bacteria tenderize it than the trim the exterior "rotted" portion off and serve the inner tender deliciousness., Hang the deer(keep it out of direct sun), what i do is poke a hole in the front of the neck, stick a rope through it and hang a couple bags of ice on the inside of the chest cavity.
Actually, I've never heard of such a thing, where did you get that from Fillet mignon is beef tenderloin, thats why its so tender. The tender loins are the inner ones along back bone, you take them out when you gut them, and they'll remove with your hands
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Cool

Got to go out and find some road kill filet mignon.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

The low temp Saturday night should be about 50. It might rain Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Firts of all, gut it immediatly. No need to drag it off for fear of spooking other deer when they come across the gut pile, they won't give it a second look.

Hang it in the coolest place you have. If it's really hot, like was already said, pack it with ice and wrap it in an old blanket, or better yet, an old sleeping bag.

DO NOT skin it till your ready to cut it up. The hide protects the meat from bugs as well as keeping it from drying out.

I killed one last Friday evening and let it hang till Monday morning in the garage without doing anything but spreading the ribcage. It was perfectly fine.