michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Firearms > Rifles
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default Reducing trigger pull weight on a Rem 700

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
The trigger on a particular Remington model 700 deer rifle fires at 7 to 8 pounds of pull. It's very smooth and crisp, but too heavy. I'd like the trigger to fire with about 3.5 pounds of pull.
My question is, in your opinion, would it be better to have a professional gunsmith like Williams Gun Sight or Dick William's shop work on the existing Remington trigger or to spend more money and have a replacement trigger set installed by a professional gunsmith?
I have read the threads here and on other forums about the CNBC reports on the model 700. I'm confident in the safety of the Remington factory trigger so that's not an issue for me.
I appreciate your thoughts
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 94Users Photo Gallery
Exclaimation

I have had several custom rifles built up based on the REM 700 action, using top riflesmiths such as Darrel Holland in OR or Hart in PA. We always used the REM 700 factory triggers. They can be tuned up to your specs with complete safety. BY A PERSON WHO KNOWS *** THEY ARE DOING !!!

Dont let any "amateur gunsmiths" mess around with your triggers!!!

NB

NRA Life member
Remove this ad...  
Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'd be inclined to put in a Timney replacement trigger. You can do it yourself if you are able to follow instructions, & are somewhat inclined. For the price of your smith adjusted trigger you are halfway to a Timney.

I have 2 adjusted 700 triggers, a Timney, & a Shilen, the Timney is an easy fix. I hate those 6+ lb triggers.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

I say + one on the Timney trigger.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inland44 View Post
I say + one on the Timney trigger.

Put a Timney trigger in my AR in about ten minutes, what a difference. Highly recommend them.

Hoppe's no.10

Ambrose Pierce , American journalist, 1842-1914.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Guide

Call Eddie and have him clean it up. No sence in spending a bunch on an aftermarket trigger to get 3.5 lbs. Factory Remington triggers are pretty easy to clean up and make fine hunting triggers.

http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/index.html
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

Get a Timney trigger here. It's well worth the investment. Mine are all set at 2.25lbs.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=220642
Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 95Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Hunt4Ever
Default Remington Crisp

The factory trigger is a good trigger. Here is a link to adjusting the trigger. I have done all of mine. If the rifle is going to be used for hunting and not off the bench, I adjust mine down but they are still in the 5lb range.

REMINGTON CRISP: A RECIPE
by Thomas M.Ferruzza
REMINGTON CRISP is a recipe for crisp triggers with a Remington 700 rifle. It was born out of my dire need to abate developing the physique of a fiddler crab when I was shooting my prized Remington 700.

The factory trigger of a Remington 700 is fully adjustable and can easily be adjusted to remove any unwanted backlash or excessive weight of pull. By following this easy recipe, and by taking the time to test & consider each adjustment, you too can soon have your REMINGTON CRISP cooking at your next shoot!

The first step in preparing for REMINGTON CRISP, is to be sure your rifle is unloaded, then by removing your barreled action from it's stock and placing it in a gun cradle upside down you are ready to begin. Remove any surface oil or debris from the trigger assembly with alcohol or a solvent, then dry it carefully with a lint free cloth.

Now, take a small sharp edged tool, such as a small knife or flat screwdriver blade, and scrape off the epoxy like clear coating that covers the two trigger adjustment screws on the front of the trigger assembly, this will expose the small slots of these screws. Use a sharp pick to clear these slots and remove any residual epoxy from both front screws.

The first adjustment to your trigger should be to remove any excessive backlash. This adjustment is the top screw on the front of the trigger assembly. This is the screw closest to your barreled action, which is now the bottom screw when the barreled action is turned upside down in your cradle. Slowly turn in this screw a quarter of a turn at a time, trying the trigger with each turn, until the hammer will not fall. Then, in eighth turn increments, checking each adjustment before further adjusting the screw, back this screw out until the hammer falls. Then add one more eighth turn and stop adjusting the trigger for backlash.

The bottom screw of the Remington trigger, the top screw when upside down, controls the weight of the trigger pull. Considering the legal climate what it is today, it is easy to understand why the factory trigger pull is set at the combined weight of the all supreme court justices multiplied by the gross national debt. Adjusting the weight of the trigger pull is a very simple task. By backing out the bottom screw at eighth of a turn increments, the trigger pull can be reduced to about three pounds. Again, be sure to check each adjustment a couple of times until the desired weight of pull is obtained.

Do not epoxy over these screws until the rifle has been reinstalled in your stock and you are sure you are happy with your new trigger adjustments. Also, I recommend that prior to fixing your adjustments with epoxy, that the rifle is cocked and rapped hard on it's butt to make sure the rifle will not accidently discharge with too light a trigger adjustment. Then after a trip to the range to insure that your adjustments are what you wanted, then fix your adjustments with epoxy.

My recipe for REMINGTON CRISP does not include sear adjustment. This adjustment is preset at the Remington factory and an improper sear adjustment can cause an accidental discharge of the rifle. Should you have any concerns regarding your sear engagement, return your rifle to Remington for proper sear adjustment and be safe not sorry.

I have use this recipe with great success as have the fellow Nimrods I have shared it with. I hope that it helps shrink your groupings and varmint populations!

HAPPY 10X's!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

I would deffinetly stay with the Remington trigger. Its oine the best factory triggers around. I have adjusted mine to much less then your 3.5lbs, but I've had a little practice and know the safety things to be aware of. It is fairly easy and adjusting to 3.5 lbs should be no problem whatsoever.

There are a lot of aftermarket triggers and most of them aren't half as good as the Remmington trigger. Check this guy out, he came recommended by a well known bench rest shooter. He also sells lighter trigger springs which may be necessory for your gun to reach 3.5lbs.
www.erniethegunsmith.com
Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Tracker

Default It depends what you prefer

Adjusting a Remington trigger is like working on the brakes on your care. If you know what you are doing it is not a big deal. If you lack the confidence or expertise; take it to a competent gunsmith. Take care...
Joe
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

The new X-mark Pro that comes on all new 700's of the past couple of years are adjustable with the little wrench they provide via the set screw in the trigger shoe.

I have one lying in my spare gun parts... Replaced with a Rifle Basix. While it will adjust down in weight it is very inconsistent in both pull weight and engagement.

Old design triggers, prior to the X Mark and Pro versions are really what you want if you are going to play with the factory trigger. Even then, if you can find one of the first generation (safety off to open bolt) that managed to sneak past the recall go that route. I have a 700 from the late 60's with original trigger that is phenomenal, it rivals any aftermarket hunting weight trigger out there and then some as it breaks like glass consistently right at 1 1/2 lbs... My 1998 vintage 700 with 2nd gen trigger is OK... nothing special... 3 lbs is about all she'll go reliably.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Guide

Is it common to find 700's with triggers in the 2 lb range? After reading this thread I checked a 700 mountain rifle. 1997 and the trigger was 2.25-2.5 lb and the backlash was dead on to the instructions above. Not even an 1/8 turn off. The trigger was capable of going down to a lb or slightly less. I was surprised after reading so much on the 7-8 lb pullers. The epoxy was still on the screws, also there were 2 more adj screws but no epoxy on those. lucky maybe? only 1 owner and the gun was purchased from guns galore. when jarred severely it did not click even at 1 lb. Thanks for the good info.....
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Michiganiac

I had my trigger pull lightened and the safety smoothed out by a local gunsmith and it wasn't too expensive. I wouldn't dream of changing that trigger.

(Brookie1)
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 105Users Photo Gallery

If it wasn't for dial up and it taking so long to just look between pages now, with this APP stuff, I'd look myself or, at least try to find it.

That said, my 700 I bought sometime back in the 80's, rarely gets shot. Canadian hunt and once her in MI. How can I tell if my rifle is one that should have been recalled? Serial# C633057X
* No Felony Convictions
* No Drug Convictions
* No Mental Impairments

Ultimate Firearms
Leupold VX6 3-18x50 Custom Turret-Illuminated Dot
Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Michigan Philanthropist
Rank Type

Photos: 44Users Photo Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCORE View Post
If it wasn't for dial up and it taking so long to just look between pages now, with this APP stuff, I'd look myself or, at least try to find it.

That said, my 700 I bought sometime back in the 80's, rarely gets shot. Canadian hunt and once her in MI. How can I tell if my rifle is one that should have been recalled? Serial# C633057X
Can you open the bolt with the safety on? If not I'd take it in and have it checked. Having experianced first hand what they say happens with the 700 I would not recommend anyone do any type of adjustment unless its done by a qualified professional. Both of my older 700's went to William's for the recall and update on the safety/bolt.