Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Cold Water Species Fishing > Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Blueump's Avatar
Blueump is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tustin - (just south of Cadillac)
Posts: 4,618
Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 1
Thumbs Up Stannard Rock

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Just got off the water from day one of our two day fishing trip out to Stannard Rock. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! If this is something that is not on your "bucket list" yet, you absolutely HAVE to do it!

We were jigging for lakers in water from 45 to 230 feet of water. The trip out and back are approximately 2 hours each way, but the fishing is totally worth it. My advice is to NOT try to do this yourself, but invest in an experienced guide. We hired Kimar's Charters and got the total package - accommodations and all! We boated well over 25 fish, the biggest was 20.6 lbs!

Looking forward to day two!

Stannard Rock - Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
wartfroggy's Avatar
wartfroggy wartfroggy is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Side
Posts: 4,507
Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery
Default

Definately something that I have wanted to do for a while now. I have talked to a handful of people who have done it, and the stories are great. Just gotta hope for good weather.
__________________
"Snagging is an art that is performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock."

An Exerpt from "A River Runs Through Wellston"

Stannard Rock - Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports
Reply With Quote
Remove this ad...  
  #3  
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM
superior1969's Avatar
superior1969 superior1969 is offline
Sportsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tapiola / Da U.P, eh
Posts: 10
Default

If you are looking for another GREAT charter ..Look up Daybreak charters ...Capt John will get you on the fish
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
DoubleJay's Avatar
DoubleJay DoubleJay is offline
Eudaimonia
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marion Twp
Posts: 1,309
Blog Entries: 1
Default

That guy in the middle right in front of the light looks like Mark Romanack (?).

Jay
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Crowhunter's Avatar
Crowhunter Crowhunter is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Zeeland Mi.
Posts: 1,605
Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJay View Post
That guy in the middle right in front of the light looks like Mark Romanack (?).

Jay
I think you are right .Bud
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 AM
frenchriver1's Avatar
frenchriver1 frenchriver1 is offline
Michiganiac
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brighton
Posts: 3,431
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to frenchriver1
Default

Catch that glass smooth water in the pic!!!!!! Made that a pleasant run, I am sure.
__________________
Those whom we treasure the most often leave us far too early ....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM
mattmishler's Avatar
mattmishler mattmishler is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Evart Mi
Posts: 342
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

and the guy next to mark and posting it looks like the camera man lol
__________________
Danel Sportfishing, Grand Haven
Captain Matt
www.fishgh.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Blueump's Avatar
Blueump Blueump is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tustin - (just south of Cadillac)
Posts: 4,618
Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Actually, the guy posting IS the camera guy - but I'm not in the photo! I took the picture, as always! Mark Romanack is in the photo along with his son Jake, Dan LaFond and his son Matthew as well as Kameron - the son of the inventor of the Anchor Wizard.

We came up to Stannard Rock to film a jigging lakers show for Fishing 411 Television. Had a great second day on the water today with a 30 1/2 lb. fish boated too! But that's for another post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Riffle's Avatar
Riffle Riffle is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: the flatlands (Midland)
Posts: 105
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

Looks like a great day of fishing (and a nice king to boot or are my eyes mistaken?). Definetly on the bucket list, was supposed to do it this year but looks like I'll be swapping that for stripers, amberjack and reds for a few years in NC. Look forward to the show, thanks for sharing Paul.
__________________
Riffle


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
Thomas Edison
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Blueump's Avatar
Blueump Blueump is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tustin - (just south of Cadillac)
Posts: 4,618
Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffle View Post
Looks like a great day of fishing (and a nice king to boot or are my eyes mistaken?). Definetly on the bucket list, was supposed to do it this year but looks like I'll be swapping that for stripers, amberjack and reds for a few years in NC. Look forward to the show, thanks for sharing Paul.
No kings, all lakers. They frequently get that silver/white color after a day in the cooler with other fish laying on them!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 PM
gyro 25 gyro 25 is offline
Sportsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Ric O Niel does a fantastic job everytime I have gone with them. Dave the old timer with size 18s is a bit salty but he is ok to fish with. I never get anything over 20 pounds but it is still a hoot. We had a guy get one on a fly rod last year. Pretty cool. As for table fare the ones at the big reef eat better.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
pikedevil's Avatar
pikedevil pikedevil is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rockford
Posts: 1,108
Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery
Default

I'm still shocked those charters keep as many of the larger fish as they do at the rock. The larger fish are 15-30+ years old and are not exactly good eating or safe for that matter. In fact based on 1990s growth and contaminant data, it is estimated that an 88 cm total length (16-year-old) lean lake trout and a 62 cm total length (15-year-old) siscowet from Lake Superior will exceed the 2.0 mg/kg “Action Level” for total concentrations of PCBs set by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Even an 8 pounder in superior can be 12+ years old. Then the yoopers wonder why there are less 30-45 pound fish there now than there used to be. .

Some of the "ROCK" charters do an excellent job and it is certainly a neat experience but they dont do a very good job when it comes to safe fish handling and education in my opinion. The only thing saving that fishery
is the fact that its 40+ miles out in the middle of a dangerous lake.

Last edited by pikedevil; 07-01-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Salmonous Maximus's Avatar
Salmonous Maximus Salmonous Maximus is offline
Charter Member
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chesterfield
Posts: 2,148
Photos: 82Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikedevil View Post
I'm still shocked those charters keep as many of the larger fish as they do at the rock. The larger fish are 15-30+ years old and are not exactly good eating or safe for that matter. In fact based on 1990s growth and contaminant data, it is estimated that an 88 cm total length (16-year-old) lean lake trout and a 62 cm total length (15-year-old) siscowet from Lake Superior will exceed the 2.0 mg/kg “Action Level” for total concentrations of PCBs set by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Even an 8 pounder in superior can be 12+ years old. Then the yoopers wonder why there are less 30-45 pound fish there now than there used to be. .

Some of the "ROCK" charters do an excellent job and it is certainly a neat experience but they dont do a very good job when it comes to safe fish handling and education in my opinion. The only thing saving that fishery
is the fact that its 40+ miles out in the middle of a dangerous lake.
How many lakers actually survive after being pulled up from depths of over 150 feet fairly fast anyway? I'm all for catch and release but I wonder how many of these fish are released and survive..
__________________
Check out my action packed via kayak youtube channel:
Youtube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Blueump's Avatar
Blueump Blueump is offline
Michiganiac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tustin - (just south of Cadillac)
Posts: 4,618
Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonous Maximus View Post
How many lakers actually survive after being pulled up from depths of over 150 feet fairly fast anyway? I'm all for catch and release but I wonder how many of these fish are released and survive..
I was amazed at how quickly the fish we released headed straight for the bottom. You could see them releasing air from their swim bladders and they came up in the water column. I would dare say that most, if not all, of the fish we released survived. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
bb7813 bb7813 is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: lapeer co
Posts: 167
Default

Aren't there slot limits on lakers in Superior. We are headed up with Daybreak Charters the week of the 24th
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2011 Michigan-Sportsman.com flagship of the iGreatLakes.com network