michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Detroit River and Lake Erie
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detroit River and Lake Erie Two of the state's Walleye gems.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Tracker

Default Shore fishing Downriver

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Hey guys, where are some good shore fishing spots Downriver where I can take a little kid who's never fished before. I'm thinking of more inland streams or ponds.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Michigan Sportsman

The the Huron river in Flatrock. Easy access. Moving water, and still water. Always fish around. And there is a park with some play stuff in case the fishing gets boring.
Remove this ad...  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
The the Huron river in Flatrock. Easy access. Moving water, and still water. Always fish around. And there is a park with some play stuff in case the fishing gets boring.
Huroc Park? I heard it was super flooded but it might be down now. I always wondered if the fishing was any good there. Thanks for the info.!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default shore fishin

Lake Erie Metropark. Lots of bass,carp and even a few perch. There's also at least 1 spot there where you can catch walleyes. Lots of places to fish. Move around till you find what you like. Also a good chance for the kids to see deer on almost every trip.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
Huroc Park? I heard it was super flooded but it might be down now. I always wondered if the fishing was any good there. Thanks for the info.!

It's down now. Carp and a few bass in the open park area. Pike here and there. Doughballs for the carp or chunks of crawler pitched along weed edges for bass. Lots of panfish in the backwaters. That's a good area for a kid. Pretty cool spot back there. Bring the bug spray though!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Tracker

Thanks guys!

Amen on the bug spray. We went to fish at the pond at Willow Metro Park a few weeks back and I honestly got two feet into the grass and had 10 bites on my legs. Ended up fishing off the fishing pier they have there.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mfs686

Quote:
Hey guys, where are some good shore fishing spots Downriver where I can take a little kid who's never fished before. I'm thinking of more inland streams or ponds.

Thanks
Heritage Park in Taylor but I think you would do better in the backwaters of the Huron in Flat Rock.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs686 View Post
Heritage Park in Taylor but I think you would do better in the backwaters of the Huron in Flat Rock.
Thanks! I forgot about that park too. I was also thinking of that pond at Patriots Park in Riverview.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mfs686

Quote:
Thanks! I forgot about that park too. I was also thinking of that pond at Patriots Park in Riverview.
I drive by that park on a regular basis and I can't recall ever seeing anyone fishing there.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Tracker

Quote:
I drive by that park on a regular basis and I can't recall ever seeing anyone fishing there.
I saw someone fishing there this past weekend and this coming weekend for the Downriver Cruise they have a kids fishing expo going on. Not sure what they get out of there though. I'm guessing blue gill or something.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
The Refection pond in riverview at patroits park is a Great place to take a kid fishing, Grew up riding my bike there. Also the golf course down the road offers some good fishing also for kids.

Took my daughter there when she was 3 and a carp ripped her dora pole right out of her hand when she wasn't paying attention. To make a long story short it could of been a Americas home Video winner if it was caught on tape!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw someone fishing there this past weekend and this coming weekend for the Downriver Cruise they have a kids fishing expo going on. Not sure what they get out of there though. I'm guessing blue gill or something.
Blue gill, perch, goldfish, oscars, carp, suckers, bullhead, i was pretty young but pretty sure i caught a silver bass out of there.

Last edited by perchyanker; 06-21-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Tracker

Thanks Perchyanker!

When you went fishing at the golf course did they let you on it or was this during closed hours?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Perchyanker!

When you went fishing at the golf course did they let you on it or was this during closed hours?
Well actully if you turn left at the light where the golf course is (heading towards fort) you can pretty much park on the street and stay on the non golf course side and as long as you don't feed the geese nobody will bother you (Its not the island across the trenton channel where you can't fish anywhere). I also never fished to close to sibley but, closer to the school. I use to catch alot of bullhead and carp and some gills out of there. (and golf balls) The canal runs right along that road (pheasent run i think) quite a ways. I would try the reflection pond first on the west side. My daughter is 7 now and I have a boat now and I've took her out a few times. A few times me and her and a few times with me her and another kid and adult and found it best to have another kid around to keep it competitive to help keep interest.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchyanker View Post
Well actully if you turn left at the light where the golf course is (heading towards fort) you can pretty much park on the street and stay on the non golf course side and as long as you don't feed the geese nobody will bother you (Its not the island across the trenton channel where you can't fish anywhere). I also never fished to close to sibley but, closer to the school. I use to catch alot of bullhead and carp and some gills out of there. (and golf balls) The canal runs right along that road (pheasent run i think) quite a ways. I would try the reflection pond first on the west side. My daughter is 7 now and I have a boat now and I've took her out a few times. A few times me and her and a few times with me her and another kid and adult and found it best to have another kid around to keep it competitive to help keep interest.
Thanks again! My daughter is still really young so that is why I look for places close because if she's done with it after 10 minutes than I did not have to drive an hour. LOL I'm in Southgate so Riverview is noce and close.