michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Detroit River and Lake Erie
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detroit River and Lake Erie Two of the state's Walleye gems.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default Shore fishing Downriver

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Hey guys, where are some good shore fishing spots Downriver where I can take a little kid who's never fished before. I'm thinking of more inland streams or ponds.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Fishndude Fishndude is offline
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 6,762
Default

The the Huron river in Flatrock. Easy access. Moving water, and still water. Always fish around. And there is a park with some play stuff in case the fishing gets boring.
Reply With Quote
Remove this ad...  
  #3  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
The the Huron river in Flatrock. Easy access. Moving water, and still water. Always fish around. And there is a park with some play stuff in case the fishing gets boring.
Huroc Park? I heard it was super flooded but it might be down now. I always wondered if the fishing was any good there. Thanks for the info.!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Uncle Boopoo's Avatar
Uncle Boopoo Uncle Boopoo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Trollville Heights
Posts: 2,541
Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default shore fishin

Lake Erie Metropark. Lots of bass,carp and even a few perch. There's also at least 1 spot there where you can catch walleyes. Lots of places to fish. Move around till you find what you like. Also a good chance for the kids to see deer on almost every trip.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Largemouth Largemouth is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paradise(AKA NE MI)
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
Huroc Park? I heard it was super flooded but it might be down now. I always wondered if the fishing was any good there. Thanks for the info.!

It's down now. Carp and a few bass in the open park area. Pike here and there. Doughballs for the carp or chunks of crawler pitched along weed edges for bass. Lots of panfish in the backwaters. That's a good area for a kid. Pretty cool spot back there. Bring the bug spray though!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Thanks guys!

Amen on the bug spray. We went to fish at the pond at Willow Metro Park a few weeks back and I honestly got two feet into the grass and had 10 bites on my legs. Ended up fishing off the fishing pier they have there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM
mfs686's Avatar
mfs686 mfs686 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Taylor, MI
Posts: 2,949
Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mfs686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
Hey guys, where are some good shore fishing spots Downriver where I can take a little kid who's never fished before. I'm thinking of more inland streams or ponds.

Thanks
Heritage Park in Taylor but I think you would do better in the backwaters of the Huron in Flat Rock.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs686 View Post
Heritage Park in Taylor but I think you would do better in the backwaters of the Huron in Flat Rock.
Thanks! I forgot about that park too. I was also thinking of that pond at Patriots Park in Riverview.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
mfs686's Avatar
mfs686 mfs686 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Taylor, MI
Posts: 2,949
Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mfs686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
Thanks! I forgot about that park too. I was also thinking of that pond at Patriots Park in Riverview.
I drive by that park on a regular basis and I can't recall ever seeing anyone fishing there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs686 View Post
I drive by that park on a regular basis and I can't recall ever seeing anyone fishing there.
I saw someone fishing there this past weekend and this coming weekend for the Downriver Cruise they have a kids fishing expo going on. Not sure what they get out of there though. I'm guessing blue gill or something.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
perchyanker's Avatar
perchyanker perchyanker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lower right side of the palm
Posts: 1,055
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfs686 View Post
I drive by that park on a regular basis and I can't recall ever seeing anyone fishing there.
The Refection pond in riverview at patroits park is a Great place to take a kid fishing, Grew up riding my bike there. Also the golf course down the road offers some good fishing also for kids.

Took my daughter there when she was 3 and a carp ripped her dora pole right out of her hand when she wasn't paying attention. To make a long story short it could of been a Americas home Video winner if it was caught on tape!!
__________________
Being cheap can be expensive !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
perchyanker's Avatar
perchyanker perchyanker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lower right side of the palm
Posts: 1,055
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
I saw someone fishing there this past weekend and this coming weekend for the Downriver Cruise they have a kids fishing expo going on. Not sure what they get out of there though. I'm guessing blue gill or something.
Blue gill, perch, goldfish, oscars, carp, suckers, bullhead, i was pretty young but pretty sure i caught a silver bass out of there.
__________________
Being cheap can be expensive !!!!

Last edited by perchyanker; 06-21-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Thanks Perchyanker!

When you went fishing at the golf course did they let you on it or was this during closed hours?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
perchyanker's Avatar
perchyanker perchyanker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lower right side of the palm
Posts: 1,055
Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
Thanks Perchyanker!

When you went fishing at the golf course did they let you on it or was this during closed hours?
Well actully if you turn left at the light where the golf course is (heading towards fort) you can pretty much park on the street and stay on the non golf course side and as long as you don't feed the geese nobody will bother you (Its not the island across the trenton channel where you can't fish anywhere). I also never fished to close to sibley but, closer to the school. I use to catch alot of bullhead and carp and some gills out of there. (and golf balls) The canal runs right along that road (pheasent run i think) quite a ways. I would try the reflection pond first on the west side. My daughter is 7 now and I have a boat now and I've took her out a few times. A few times me and her and a few times with me her and another kid and adult and found it best to have another kid around to keep it competitive to help keep interest.
__________________
Being cheap can be expensive !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Danase Danase is offline
Tracker
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchyanker View Post
Well actully if you turn left at the light where the golf course is (heading towards fort) you can pretty much park on the street and stay on the non golf course side and as long as you don't feed the geese nobody will bother you (Its not the island across the trenton channel where you can't fish anywhere). I also never fished to close to sibley but, closer to the school. I use to catch alot of bullhead and carp and some gills out of there. (and golf balls) The canal runs right along that road (pheasent run i think) quite a ways. I would try the reflection pond first on the west side. My daughter is 7 now and I have a boat now and I've took her out a few times. A few times me and her and a few times with me her and another kid and adult and found it best to have another kid around to keep it competitive to help keep interest.
Thanks again! My daughter is still really young so that is why I look for places close because if she's done with it after 10 minutes than I did not have to drive an hour. LOL I'm in Southgate so Riverview is noce and close.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2011 Michigan-Sportsman.com flagship of the iGreatLakes.com network