michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery
Default Proper Disposal Of An Animal Carcass

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I've been hunting for a little over 10 years now. The laws I learned were through my hunter safety course as well as from family and other hunting friends throughout the years. One rule that has never come up in a conversation was what the proper way to dispose of an animal carcass was. Until recently when we started hunting public lands while in college. We have only hunted one year and couldn't get a shot at any of the deer we did see so it wasn't ever an issue....this year.

So to keep myself from doing something outside of the law, can someone please tell me the proper way to dispose of a deer or animal carcass? I've read the DNR's version but it doesn't make sense to me.

It states, "Irresponsible dumping of deer carcasses can spread disease and may result in a ticket. Hunters who process their deer should properly dispose of hide, brain and spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, bones and head in an approved landfill."

Does this mean that I have to take it to the landfill? Or can I just put the remains in the dumpster in a garbage bag?

BTW if this is a REALLY dumb question, my bad
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Guide

Good question I am curious as to the proper disposal myself. As in to be within the law.
Posted via Mobile Device
Remove this ad...  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

My buddy just throws his in the garbage can not sure if that's the right thing to do but I feel bad for the garbage truck driver.

"Hunting is a complex affair with roots too deep to be pulled up and examined."

My Latest Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAlTnmsXNhk
Check It Out.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Guide
Rank Type

Disposal depends on wether you are talking about the guts or the carcas after butchering. Traditionally, most hunters have left the gut pile in the field. Now, many land owners ask that you not do this. In recent years I have seen more and more hunters bring in deer and bear that havn't been gutted. The guts and carcass after butchering are put in a dumpster/garbage bag for eventual disposal in an approved land fill. We killed and butchered a 400# hog last weekend and disposed of all waste, in heavy drum liner bags, through my towns regular trash disposal system. They know what I am disposing and have no problems with it. In fact, several years ago, when I was butchering, I rented a dumpster and the town emptied it weekly (more often if I called). I highly reccommend that you buy 3 mil. drum liners for disposal purposes as they are less likely to break under a heavy load!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

We've always done the 3mm liner bags you are talking about and just put them into the garbage can for the garbage man to come pick up. Just never knew if this was the legal way of doing it lol
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

In the past when we butchered our own, we either buried what was left in the back of the 30 acres or threw it in the fire pit, especially the head and spine.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 38Users Photo Gallery

After I process a deer I always double bagged the bones, hide and head ect. and just put it out with the trash, Never had any problems.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBULL View Post
After I process a deer I always double bagged the bones, hide and head ect. and just put it out with the trash, Never had any problems.
Same here...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I like to recycle. I guess it depends on where you live & landowner desires if not your own. A gut-pile is often gone in 24 hours. I realize carcasses thrown along a public road isn't the proper way. I prefer setting them back in the far edge of a privately owned field. That would be the bones & such after butchering. They will be utilized in very little time. In a more populated setting the garbage may be your only good option.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88luneke View Post
I've been hunting for a little over 10 years now. The laws I learned were through my hunter safety course as well as from family and other hunting friends throughout the years. One rule that has never come up in a conversation was what the proper way to dispose of an animal carcass was. Until recently when we started hunting public lands while in college. We have only hunted one year and couldn't get a shot at any of the deer we did see so it wasn't ever an issue....this year.

So to keep myself from doing something outside of the law, can someone please tell me the proper way to dispose of a deer or animal carcass? I've read the DNR's version but it doesn't make sense to me.

It states, "Irresponsible dumping of deer carcasses can spread disease and may result in a ticket. Hunters who process their deer should properly dispose of hide, brain and spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, bones and head in an approved landfill."

Does this mean that I have to take it to the landfill? Or can I just put the remains in the dumpster in a garbage bag?

BTW if this is a REALLY dumb question, my bad
To address your question there are two laws that come into play. Here ya go:

750.57 Burial of dead animals.

Sec. 57.
A person who places a dead animal or part of the carcass of a dead animal into a lake, river, creek, pond, road, street, alley, lane, lot, field, meadow, or common, or in any place within 1 mile of the residence of a person, except the same and every part of the carcass is buried at least 4 feet underground, and the owner or owners thereof who knowingly permits the carcass or part of a carcass to remain in any of those places, to the injury of the health, or to the annoyance of another is guilty of a misdemeanor. Every 24 hours that the owner permits the carcass or part of a carcass to remain after a conviction under this section is an additional offense under this section, a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $50.00 or more than $500.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days.

287.671 Dead animals; transfer from 1 vehicle to another; disposal; exceptions.
Sec. 21.
(1) Dead animals, except if contained in a drum, barrel, or similar container, shall be transferred from 1 vehicle to another only at a licensed facility.
(2) All dead animals, except as provided in subsection (3), shall be disposed of within 24 hours after death by any of the following:
(a) Burial not less than 2 feet below the natural surface of the ground according to rules promulgated under this act.
(b) Burning in an appropriate licensed or permitted incinerator in compliance with part 55 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.5501 to 324.5542. Residue from the burning process shall be disposed of by burial as provided in subdivision (a) or in a manner approved by the director.
(c) Composting methods.
(d) Procuring the services of a licensed dead animal dealer.
(e) Procuring the services of a licensed rendering plant.
(f) Procuring the services of a licensed animal food manufacturing plant.
(3) The following dead animals are not subject to the requirements of subsection (2):
(a) Small mammals, deer, and birds taken under the authority of a damage and nuisance animal control permit issued by the Michigan department of natural resources pursuant to part 401 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.40101 to 324.40119.
(b) Small mammals, cervidae, and birds, that are road kill.
(c) Dead animals kept in secured temporary cold storage of 4.5 degrees Celsius, 40 degrees Fahrenheit, or below for a maximum of 7 days or frozen and securely stored at minus 11 degrees Celsius, 0 degrees Fahrenheit, or below for a maximum of 30 days.
(d) Restaurant grease.
(e) Dead animals used as specimens at educational institutions.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Guide

How does 287 come in to play for game animals?

As far as 750 is concerned, it has to be to the annoyance of another. It has been legal forever to use parts of dead critters for bait.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery

I took mine to a compacting station last year, I tossed the bagged up remains into the compactor..the bag broke open. The guy running the station gave me the riot act over it. Saying I can't do that. My question was what the Hell? This is a garbage disposal place right? How and where am I supposed to get rid of it I asked? His response was I don't know and I don't care...He wanted me to dig out the carcass and take it with me.... I told him yeah right! Good luck with that. I tried to pay him what I owed him...he kept giving me crap so I just left. I spoke to the township office they said they can't take carcasses...no one could explain why either. So I'm at a loss for next year. I do process my own deer. I guess smaller pieces in more bags next year. Come on its not toxic waste for cry out loud.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 38Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfishin_ View Post
I took mine to a compacting station last year, I tossed the bagged up remains into the compactor..the bag broke open. The guy running the station gave me the riot act over it. Saying I can't do that. My question was what the Hell? This is a garbage disposal place right? How and where am I supposed to get rid of it I asked? His response was I don't know and I don't care...He wanted me to dig out the carcass and take it with me.... I told him yeah right! Good luck with that. I tried to pay him what I owed him...he kept giving me crap so I just left. I spoke to the township office they said they can't take carcasses...no one could explain why either. So I'm at a loss for next year. I do process my own deer. I guess smaller pieces in more bags next year. Come on its not toxic waste for cry out loud.
Next time you go there ask them if its ok to dispose of the chicken that spoiled in the fridge last week.