Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

marl lake in moncalm county??any info

20K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MontcalmGratiotGuy 
#1 ·
any info on marl lake in moncalm county?
I have been told things over the years like
it has no bottom
also was told many many years a go a train fell in the lake
logging?
anyway i searched this site and the net and found no info at all on this lake.maybe some peple know on this site.

#3 ·
I was talking to a girl that I had in microbiology last semester and she said her husband takes a row boat out there every now and then and gets some nice smallies. I've never fished it myself because my boat is pretty heavy and she said the bank makes it kinda tough to get a boat in there.

#4 ·
I know this is an older thread, does anyone have any updates on this little lake? I'd be really interested in finding more out about it. It is listed as a designated trout lake by the DNR. Any one know if you are allowed to launch small craft like a kayak or canoe on it?

#5 ·
I know this is an older thread, does anyone have any updates on this little lake? I'd be really interested in finding more out about it. It is listed as a designated trout lake by the DNR. Any one know if you are allowed to launch small craft like a kayak or canoe on it?
If this is Marl Lake just outside of Vestaburg on M-46, yes you can launch a kayak or canoe easily there. A pretty nice roadside park there with plently of picnic tables. The bowling alley is across the road if the fish aren't biting.

#6 · (Edited)
No bottom rumors......no solid bottom. No place to safely wade or swim.
The train was pulled out by a UFO in the 60's. A few of us were partying there and I saw the whole thing. I don't think mixing wine and hard liquor blurred my vision that night. :) That is one crazy rumor. Caught a lot pan fish, bullheads and some ok bass there as a kid.
Very easy access for light row boats if you don't mind carrying it a short distance.. I don't remember an actual boat launch. Maybe there is one now.

L & O

Reactions: gumballbilly
#8 ·
I know that the DNR stocks 1000 rainbows every year since 1979 and that it is a type C trout lake, meaning the possession season is all year, with no gear restrictions. The only info I've ever found about this lake is on the DNR website saying, "it is a deep water lake capable of maintaining a rainbow trout population." The DNR has questionnaires online that they want anyone who fishes this lake to complete. There are no topo's, or species information anywhere that I can find.
I plan on going out there in the next few weeks with my kyack and sonar so I'll let you guys know what I catch and any depth information I can get

#9 ·
ive fished the lake on and off all my life. My grandpa told me when I was younger there was a train that did go in and when the sun is high you can see it in the clear water below on the south east corner of the lake. The other thing i was told that a team of horses went through in the late 1800,s when they were cutting ice blocks for ice houses back then. Yes theres rainbows in there and they are hard to get. gotta go after dark and fish for them.

#10 ·
ive fished the lake on and off all my life. My grandpa told me when I was younger there was a train that did go in and when the sun is high you can see it in the clear water below on the south east corner of the lake. The other thing i was told that a team of horses went through in the late 1800,s when they were cutting ice blocks for ice houses back then.
Are you old enough to remember when the trains still ran the tracks ? When the trains ran you could hear them when you were fishing the lake, but the tracks were not close. It's probably 200 yds. to the tracks from the lake so no train ever went into Marl or Bass for that matter. The tracks are closer to Bass Lk. for sure.
The tracks are now a walking/biking trail and a good one too. It's a very easy ride from Riverdale to Marl or beyond.
A horse going thru is a possibility for sure, but I doubt a team went thru. When my dad was alive he told me about how much work it was to cut ice for the summer. They always had a single horse or oxen hooked to the sled while on the lake. After getting off the ice they would then hook up the rest of the team to pull the sled up from the lake and on to the ice house.

L & O

Reactions: Waif
#11 ·
Aye that lake is bottomless, And it's connected to other lakes underground, lost a diver in there a couple years back, A few weeks later they found him up north in another lake. I've never heard the train thing but I was told there used to be a house on the lake and one morning it was gone.

#12 ·
Aye that lake is bottomless, And it's connected to other lakes underground, lost a diver in there a couple years back, A few weeks later they found him up north in another lake...................
LOL. Did you make this post from the bar/bowling alley across the road from the lake ? If interested, take a line out there sometime and a good weight. You will find the bottom without much trouble. It's not all that deep. I bet a bunch of bowling balls ended up in that other lake too. There is a long history of guys throwing their bowling ball into that lake after a terrible night on the lanes.

L & O

#13 · (Edited)
at one time they had a large potato type gun set up at the bowling alley and they would shoot bbs at ufos and then something happened to the shooters,,then I heard they were shooting them at boats ,trains ,horses,houses n stuff.a lot of bbs ended up in the lake and that's one reason the marl sank so much.

Reactions: nichola8
#15 · (Edited)
If you have never fished Marl Lake, here are a few photos of pike that we have taken there over the past 2 years. Marl Lake is indeed a magical lake. That's me in the photo that this link opens to. I cut the photo at the top to protect my identity. Photo is looking south, the bar is conveniently located right across the road.

https://www.google.com/search?q=huge+pike&biw=1680&bih=920&tbm=isch&imgil=bIrtAjYtL_eZUM%3A%3B50sK1LumAwFUOM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%25253DtlOLYQt2qU0&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bIrtAjYtL_eZUM%3A%2C50sK1LumAwFUOM%2C_&usg=__B4SVOBYvIgKee1uYu1I-nXSQP3o=&ved=0ahUKEwi5jv-Ey-TQAhUmS2MKHUB1AgsQyjcIMw&ei=gFBJWLnOKqaWjQPA6olY#imgrc=bIrtAjYtL_eZUM:

L & O

Reactions: gumballbilly
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.