Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting > Whitetail Deer Habitat
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Whitetail Deer Habitat Managing habitat for the benefit of deer.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Is Kura Clover Roundup tolerant?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I just got word from one of the other guys on this forum that he sprayed roundup over his Kura Clover patch, without killing the Kura Clover itself. If he would like to share his experience here, that's up to him.

Just wondering--are there others here who have had a similiar experience? That Clethodim is pretty expensive. Seems like I read in some of Ed Spinzollas literature a while back that Kura was RU tolerant --??
Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Mastermind
Rank Type

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERAT View Post
Seems like I read in some of Ed Spinzollas literature a while back that Kura was RU tolerant --??
Here's Ed's literature:

http://www.deerattraction.com/Article-4.htm

Quote:
Kura clover

We are all looking for that magic clover and I know of nothing more designed for deer food plots than kura clover. The digestibility of forage is crucial for deer and no clover comes close to kura’s 83% digestibility. The more digestible the forage the faster it moves through its digestive system and the sooner deer eat again. I like that. Kura originates from the black sea area of Russia and has many features that crown it, ‘King of Clovers’ It will grow in light or heavy soil. It can take a drought or a temporary flood. We mentioned how white clovers spread, through above ground runners, well kura has underground runners called rhizomes that create a root bud and presto a new clover plant. This underground runner makes it immune to dry conditions and animal trampling and it is well established that this feature makes kura a very competitive plant. Kura has a history of a very long life. Russia claims it has fields of kura that are over 100 years of age. In the US we have demo plots in Wisconsin and Minnesota that are 20 years old. In Michigan there are plots planted by Michigan State University that are 18 years of age and growing well still. Kura takes three years to get established and needs a clean field void of competition for establishment. Kura is very competitive once established to the point of out competing grass. Kura is naturally Round up ready, which means it can be sprayed with the herbicide Round up and keep on ticking, while the grass and weeds are zapped. Kura is vigorous in its growth. It can reach three feet in height and grow leaves as big as plums. Another feature is that, even though it looks like red clover in leaf shape and the same distinguishing watermark it has no hairs on the underside of the leaf or stem. This lack of small hairs is an advantage, for deer have a dislike for them. Crop-soybeans is another example, where they have these small hairs, while some forage varieties don’t. Deer prefer the hairless forage variety over the bean producing type.
Remove this ad...  
Old 01-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Guide

this is my story, I followed ed's reccomendation with the exception of spraying in june and not mid may,I am in cheboygan county. I had a plot of clover some ladino and I do not remember what else in said plot as far as variety. It was beggining to be over run with weeds. I sprayed 4 ounces to the gallon with my backpack,worked awsome clover shriveled for a spell and came back better than ever , no freekin weeds. ed knows what he is talking about.
I also did this in a clover plot that was getting sparse with clover because weeds were real bad. then the next day overseeded with clover and that also worked for me.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

I've sprayed my clover mix plots with 3/4 quart of generic round up and had good results. The mix did include Kura that I purchased from Welter Seed. I sprayed in June but spring comes much later to the EUP than it does in the rest of the state. My clover bounced back real good, the annual grasses were gone and the sedge grasses were set back. I could really tell where I missed with my sprayer. The clover came back good enough to repeat the process any year that grasses/weeds begin to invade my perennial clover plots.