michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery Out of the ordinary outdoor sightings, pictures, mushroom gathering, and other miscellaneous activities.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default Rare sighting?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I was walking out to my stand friday evening when something in the sky caught my eye. I looked up and to my suprise only 50 feet above me was a Bald Eagle. I live in Brooklyn and where I was hunting is right next to Michigan International Speedway in and was wondering if anyone else had seen this awesome bird.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Guide

I live 1 mile east of Flushing, by the Flint River. For the last 4 or 5 years I've seen one perched in the same tree, from time to time. I never get the camera out in time to get a picture though. Sure is a beautiful bird !!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Michiganiac

I'm sure it depends upon which area of Michigan one lives in. But they are no longer rare around my part of south central.

I have seen as many as 22 around a woodlot that I hunt on a neighbor's land. And on my own land this year a car-hit doe that I dragged out to an open field graciously hosted up to 6 eagles as they consumed her.

The deer gut-piles that I take out to the same field.....well, they last about a day. The eagles eat everything but the masticated forage in the stomach. And I mean everything. They even fly off with the cut-off doe's heads and legs.

'In nature’s infinite book of secrecy…….. A little I can read.' W.Shakespeare
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Cool, I'm not far from there, will have to keep my eyes open!

HUNT SMART, AND LIVE TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY!!!

Become my fan!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/W-S-Hu...3815399?ref=nf
Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Guide
Rank Type

I had one fly right over the tripod I was sitting in while Gun Deer Hunting this year. I also saw it the next day perched in a tall Jack Pine. I contacted the DNR and reported the sighting. The DNR said there are 2 nest sights within 5 miles of where I live. I live in Jackson County.They are such cool birds to see!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Tracker

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom Jack View Post
I live 1 mile east of Flushing, by the Flint River. For the last 4 or 5 years I've seen one perched in the same tree, from time to time. I never get the camera out in time to get a picture though. Sure is a beautiful bird !!
I hunt the river, near where you are... i see the eagle quite often while out duck hunting. And if im lucky every once in awhile i get to see an osprey. When Duck hunting the river i am lucky enough to see the eagle around 40 yrds away absolutely beautiful, but as you said never been able to get a pic since it just appears out of no where.