Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Feral Pig Control and Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feral Pig Control and Hunting Feral pigs have become a threat to agriculture and native plants and animals. This forum will discuss the threat and control this invasive species.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default Michigan takes aim at feral pigs

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Michigan takes aim at feral pigs; they could be designated as invasive species

Stories of 500-pound feral pigs in Michigan and 40 other states multiplying, chasing people, attacking vehicles and tearing up property are enough to give people nightmares.

Already this year, the state has declared open season on the hairy, tusked critters, allowing any licensed hunter or property owner to shoot them on sight.

This week, it might go a step further.

At a meeting Thursday, the chief of the state Department of Natural Resources and Environment is poised to sign an order declaring the pigs an invasive species, making it illegal to raise or possess them...............

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._feral_pi.html

Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Texas hog hunter

Hi guys I am a North Texas hog hunter,I have hunted hogs for 30 years in The Great State of Texas. The first thing I have to say is KILLUM ALL.They are impossible to control,there 4 times as smart as a white tailed deer.I am serious set traps hunt them at night with lights are night vision gear,use bait(corn) do anything to kill them.After you shoot one they will leave for a while.If you trap them and turn them loose they are trained to stay out of a trap,they say the older sows train there young not to enter a trap.The state says we have 2 million hogs I believe its more like 4 million.I sometimes shoot hogs that are perfect to eat and let them lay because I can't take care of them and sure don't need the meat. Most important to get rid of the hogs.Shoot one and 25 run off not to be seen again. Twice in my life I have shot 4 hogs out of a sounder ,they go in to overdrive the instant a gun goes off.They are so smart and can smell anything.Any questions I will check back.Chuck
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

When is this state going to get their heads out of their *****e$?????
They are worried about making new laws governing the game ranches, but I have seen very little in the way of making it easier for sportsman to help eradicate the hogs we already have... they are already established and the state has let it go too far already.
Open up night shooting with centerfire rifles, and trapping on state land would be two that help greatly.... I really wonder about what kind of yahoos we have running this state.... They don't have a clue as to what they are doing....

Clyde
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery

I would like to see the game ranches gone. But in this scenario, If the DNR was to one day make them an invasive. I have a feeling that the population of hogs would skyrocket overnight.

In a case I am familiar with in northern Michigan, several years ago there was a game ranch being sold. A requirement before closing was that all hogs be gone before the sale was completed. New owner did not want them. Efforts were made to clear them out with limited success. As closing day approached a tree fell on the fence and hogs escaped. No more hog problem.

Half a**ed attempts were made to get them back, The ranch had some great traps that were not used, Some junk home made traps were put out. There was an investigation, dont know the results.

I believe if they became illegal over night we would have a lot of fence failures in a very short time.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Master Sportsman

I have hunted in the Texas hill country with all the exotics,I am certain all the foreign deer and animals ruin the whitetail herd.Hogs are a lot worse.We have the fireant which is real bad but now we are getting over ran with hogs.I don't believe in transporting hogs anywhere.No hog leaves in a vertical position,just dead. You can't contain a wild hog they will get out.Get after your state reps to allow night time hog hunting now,big centerfire rifles are a must.Some hunters down here use night vision,silencers and dogs(very effective).I have to admit there fun to hunt and great to eat but they do carry diseases and do a lot of damage to ag.For the first time in my life I am using rubber gloves to field dress hogs.Good luck and shoot um all.Chuck
Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Michiganiac

We had them in Northern Newaygo cty in 2005 but I havent seen one since then. We killed one and wounded 2 others but since we havent seen or heard about them in the area. In some ways I would like to get a big one for the freezer but I realize thier damage that comes with them.

Ganzer
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Tracker

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Default Regulations

You would think that if there was any real thought put in to the regulations regarding ranches that it would not be allowable to have trees close enough to fall on the fences.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Michiganiac

How do you make pig hunting ranches illegal but allow pig farms to exist? I mean the ranch maybe has a few hundred buthe farm operation may have thousands?

Ganzer
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood_Deckers View Post
Open up night shooting with centerfire rifles
Along with changing the rules about night hunting with lights. This is the ONLY way we will ever put a dent in the population. Restricting us to rimfires after dark, and limiting us to only legally hunting varmints with lights will just serve to perpetuate the problem.

I understand that the state "powers at be" are concerned with the deer poaching aspect of loosening the rules, but soon the hogs will eat more deer than are ever likely to be taken illegally. They eat everything!

Alas, I fear that nothing will be done until someone is mauled/killed by one. Even then, unless it's a ranking state official's kid or wife, nothing will change.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Master Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
Along with changing the rules about night hunting with lights. This is the ONLY way we will ever put a dent in the population. Restricting us to rimfires after dark, and limiting us to only legally hunting varmints with lights will just serve to perpetuate the problem.

I understand that the state "powers at be" are concerned with the deer poaching aspect of loosening the rules, but soon the hogs will eat more deer than are ever likely to be taken illegally. They eat everything!

Alas, I fear that nothing will be done until someone is mauled/killed by one. Even then, unless it's a ranking state official's kid or wife, nothing will change.
Hunting, whether daytime or night, regardless of fire power or lights, is known in other states to be only one small part of reducing the population. Hunting does not make a significant difference on population. It takes several methods and using corral style traps to initially remove groups is very effective. Several methods of reducing the population help, just keep in mind that unless 70% of the existing number of hogs can be killed yearly there will be NO reduction in population.

When a person shoots one hog out of a group of 15 or 20 that are being seen, little is accomplished except to educate a group of hogs and likely influence them to move elsewhere to be someone else's problem. The goal of eradication needs to be a common goal for any of this to effective in eliminating or even reducing the population and preventing the millions of dollars of damage to wildlife, habitat, personal property, livestock, vehicles, and personal injury that will occur over time and for which we will all pay. The costs affecting everyone may be in personal damages or tax dollars.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyGirl View Post
Hunting, whether daytime or night, regardless of fire power or lights, is known in other states to be only one small part of reducing the population. Hunting does not make a significant difference on population. It takes several methods and using corral style traps to initially remove groups is very effective. Several methods of reducing the population help, just keep in mind that unless 70% of the existing number of hogs can be killed yearly there will be NO reduction in population.
We agree!
It's an issue that needs to be attacked from as many angles as the law allows. Meaning, a rule change is still necessary......however unlikely 'til it's too late.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Master Sportsman

Longhair - I agree that the tools to get the job done are needed. Killing as many as possible as often as possible will help slow the population growth. I am also aware that there are people who want a 'huntable population' of wild hogs here and are seeing wild hogs that they deem too small to kill or who shoot at only one of a group. This is one case where size doesn't matter.