Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery
Default mio cougar report

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Just passing it along,

from --> http://oscodaherald.com/detail/86937.html

BIG CREEK TWP. Jim Gannon got quite the rude awakening Oct. 7.
I heard my birds squawking, he said. Gannon was taking care of a peacock, two peahens and several chicks that roost in a white pine behind his house along Big Creek. However, Thursday, when he awoke to see what the fuss was about, the first thing he saw was not the birds, but, allegedly, a mountain lion.
I saw the cat at six this morning. It ran through the light, he said. Ive never seen a cougar around here in Michigan. I had to wipe my eyes.
According to Gannon, when he looked out his bedroom window, he saw a mountain lion. He said it was approximately five feet long, much bigger than bobcats, which are seen more frequently in the area, and had a long tail, rather than a short stubby one like the common bobcats.
It ate a peacock, a full-grown peacock, Gannon said. I went out and saw a big pile of feathers and a carcass down by the water.
He added that several markings on the white pine where the birds would roost appear to be signs that the cat climbed the tree to get the birds down. He also marked a spot on the ground that looks as if it is a paw print.
George Kerschenheiter, a wildlife technician with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment, said the attacker could have been a mountain lion, but added there has never been a confirmed mountain lion sighting in the northern Lower Peninsula.
This is the trouble with mountain lions. At least in the UP, weve been able to verify tracks. Here, weve never been able to verify tracks, Kerschenheiter said. In order for us to verify it, wed have to have some evidence.
In the UP, weve found tracks; weve found hair from a car-cat accident and weve confirmed sightings on trail cams, he added.
However, he feels that eventually, a mountain lion sighting will be verified in the Lower Peninsula.
Its a matter of time, Kerschenheiter said. Well confirm one here.
Kerschenheiter said that about five years ago, near Mapes Road in Big Creek Township, a mountain lion sighting was reported. When it was followed up by the DNR, though, it turned out to be an abnormally large bobcat. Kerschenheiter said bobcats usually weigh about 20 pounds, and the one spotted near Mapes Road was 45 pounds.
Gannon said he is sure it is a mountain lion, as he is familiar with the animal from his time living out west in the Rocky Mountains.
Gannon also thinks the mountain lion that killed one of his birds will return.
Hell be back. Ive got seven more peacocks, he said. Ive got to hunt this cat, because hes coming back.
The bird killed by the alleged mountain lion was the lone adult male Gannon had, he said. He had been raising it for about three years, he added.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 46Users Photo Gallery

All too familiar... We nearly lost a horse to one in Fairview (9 miles NE of Mio). The locals have seen them around our farm there on multiple occasions since we left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery

Yikes,..thats where my cabin on the river is..Big creek Twp and near Big Creek...I'm going this weekend up there to maybe do a little hunting...if I see the cougar...I'll shoot it for everybody and sacrifice my hunting rights, but will need help with the fines..please send check, prefer cash: Beer and Nuts Legal Fund ..just in case!!!

Next report though...could we get some (bob)cat dog hunters on that thing so we can at least tree it and see it...seriously I know a few dogman that would love to get on a reported cougar and run their dogs(if allowed by the DNR!).
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer and nuts View Post
Yikes,..thats where my cabin on the river is..Big creek Twp and near Big Creek...I'm going this weekend up there to maybe do a little hunting...if I see the cougar...I'll shoot it for everybody and sacrifice my hunting rights, but will need help with the fines..please send check, prefer cash: Beer and Nuts Legal Fund ..just in case!!!

).
You're on!

I don't need any help though,,, the cougar I'm gonna shoot is gonna "attack me" for sure,, I just know it....
Old 10-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 27Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jackbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer and nuts View Post
Next report though...could we get some (bob)cat dog hunters on that thing so we can at least tree it and see it...seriously I know a few dogman that would love to get on a reported cougar and run their dogs(if allowed by the DNR!).
Used to be a guy by the name of Chuck Morey that lived in fairview that had some pretty good cat dogs. Not sure if he's still hunting or not though.

Keep the kids in the woods and off the streets !
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by srconnell22 View Post
All too familiar... We nearly lost a horse to one in Fairview (9 miles NE of Mio). The locals have seen them around our farm there on multiple occasions since we left.
Posted via Mobile Device
My dad and I have seen them outside of Millersburg going towards Hawks.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Well there they are. Cant argue with any of these sightings.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

I'm on the Mio Pond across the river from Rainbow Park. This spring some Amish bought property just west of us that runs almost to the river. They were down in there checking it out and several of them claim that a large Cougar ran out in front of them long tail and all and just stood there looking at each other. Thats not very far from Mapes rd. We have had some pretty big bodied Bobcats in our yard over the years so its hard to say. Some of my neighbors who have lived in the area all their lives swear they have seen Cougars over the years in the area.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHUNTER View Post
I'm on the Mio Pond across the river from Rainbow Park. This spring some Amish bought property just west of us that runs almost to the river. They were down in there checking it out and several of them claim that a large Cougar ran out in front of them long tail and all and just stood there looking at each other. Thats not very far from Mapes rd. We have had some pretty big bodied Bobcats in our yard over the years so its hard to say. Some of my neighbors who have lived in the area all their lives swear they have seen Cougars over the years in the area.

Well there you have it. Cougar as reported by the real cougar experts, the Amish. No further info required since the Amish have proved it!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

I don't think I suggested any PROOF just adding some local hearsay to the rumor mill...whats your point??
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Just stoking the fire for the believers

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery
Default Cue the 30's-40's single women joke

??????????

Where is it???? Usually on page one of these threads.......
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

It seems some folks have to be bitten in the back forty before they believe what others see. These cougars have been seen along the river valleys up here for some time now but I believe it is a complete waste of time trying to prove it to someone who has not lived up here and seen the cats for themselves. Bear, bobcat, cougar, coyote, and coydogs are predators that are found up here.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Guide

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default I didn't see it !!!

I'm on Big Creek right near this sighting.

I was up and getting ready to run bear baits at that time... must have slipped right past me.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
It seems some folks have to be bitten in the back forty before they believe what others see. These cougars have been seen along the river valleys up here for some time now but I believe it is a complete waste of time trying to prove it to someone who has not lived up here and seen the cats for themselves. Bear, bobcat, cougar, coyote, and coydogs are predators that are found up here.
I don't think it's a waste of time, it will just take proof. So far nobody can offer up proof. Plenty of stories but that is all. Based on most stories...especially those posted on this board, it's easy to understand why most don't believe them. If these sightings are as common as so many claim, proof should be easy to find. Hell people in that area still believe a guy shot a Cougar in Mio a couple years back because the message in their email told them so.