michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Fishing > Warm Water Species Fishing > Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River This basin deserves a forum for itself with the world class fisheries including Muskie and Walleye.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery
Default Perch rig

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I thought I would post this drawing of what I use for perch fishing. Please forgive the crudeness of the drawing. Keep in mind hook size is what ever you like. I like to use a snap on the end so I can change the sinker out depending on current and water depth.

Tying the hooks onto the line can be tricky to get it to stand out 90 degrees from the line. By tying it this way it gives you better hook ups than the normal inline with the main line style of tie. Credit needs to be given to "Slick fishing" as he is the one who showed me this style of rig. There use to be a sticky that showed this and even exactly how to tie it but it seems to have been deleted?

This set up is cheap to make, probably under 50 cents a piece including the sinker. I carry them in my bucket of "Stuff" along with crawler harness's etc etc and just put it in the boat. I make up half a dozen and then wrap them on swim noodles for storage.

Perch rig - Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River

Sent using my iPhone 6.5 S
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Guide

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery
Default thanks

this looks like a sweet rig. thanks for sharing.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Guide

The best way to make a rig like this is to use a "Dropper Loop Knot"

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...pper_loop.html

Use heavier pound test, like 20 or 30. Once you have the loop coming off the side of the main line, determine which run of the loop is heading vertically.

Cut the downward bending lead close to the main line, then tie your hook on the upward lead, and tie it close.

If what i said makes no sense, check out the link, tie a few and then youll see what im saying.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default perch rig

I have made drop shot rigs but keep forgetting to use them. But this is how I place the hooks on the line. Take a sleeve, which is a tiny tube they use to crimp on a line to hold something in place. Crimp sleeve on line, slide desired size hook up to sleeve and add another sleeve snug to the hook and crimp second sleeve, done. Add another if desired. The hook will stand straight out. I COULD NOT tie that knot to get the hook to stick straight out.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by greelhappy View Post
I have made drop shot rigs but keep forgetting to use them. But this is how I place the hooks on the line. Take a sleeve, which is a tiny tube they use to crimp on a line to hold something in place. Crimp sleeve on line, slide desired size hook up to sleeve and add another sleeve snug to the hook and crimp second sleeve, done. Add another if desired. The hook will stand straight out. I COULD NOT tie that knot to get the hook to stick straight out.
Those crimp sleeves will weaken and or nick the line. Just tie the hooks on with a regular palomar knot,,, those perch don't care if the hook is straight out or not. Been doin' it that way for years.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery
Thumbs Up palomar knot to get hooks to stand out from line at 90 degrees

Use a palomar knot to get hooks to stand out from the line at 90 degrees:

www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM

Photos: 160Users Photo Gallery

What would be the advantage in a drop shot rig other than sensitivity? I would think you would get more doubles using snelled hooks. The jumbos suck that bait in and if they feel resistance, they often spit it. With the snell there is usually a little slack and they don’t feel the weight of the sinker……………until it’s too late!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishing View Post
What would be the advantage in a drop shot rig other than sensitivity? I would think you would get more doubles using snelled hooks. The jumbos suck that bait in and if they feel resistance, they often spit it. With the snell there is usually a little slack and they don’t feel the weight of the sinker……………until it’s too late!
Your right its the sensitivity. you feel the slightest touch of the fish and can set the hook quickly. As soon as they suck, you set and they are in the boat before they know what happened.

The other things I do, which I'm sure alot of guys are doing, is spool with Fire Line (Or any of the braids) to eliminate the stretch you get with typical mono's or floro. I also use a fairly stiff action rod like a walleye jiggin rod, to get a quick hook set.

I'm sure everyone has their Favorite setup and twists that they like. Thats fine, I just thought I would share a tip or two of mine to help put fish in the boat.

Sent using my iPhone 6.5 S
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Perch rig

I get my share of perch (not always), but the thing is I hardly ever hold the rod (s) in my hand fishing from a boat. I don't think (?) I miss many bites and my hook up rate seems good. Now if I pull up the line and the bait is gone consistently, that's a different story. Funny thing is though, during ice season, I always hold the rod. Go figure.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Master Sportsman

I never tried a drop shot rig for ice fishing, but it might be worth a try - especially in deeper water.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 23Users Photo Gallery

You can use whatever rig that you like but my tip for all of you is to paint the tip of your perch rod with some type of fluoroscent or bright colored paint. I don't perch fish by feel, I watch my rod tip. I use a short little panfish rod and reel setup that I paid less than $20 for. I hold the rod in my hand but usually rest the rod on the side of the boat or put one of them in a rod holder if it's not to bouncy out there. It doesn't take long to decipher the difference between a fish nibble or wave action.

Big perch will make your rod tip twitch ONCE. Then they just sit there. SET THE HOOK!

I have more respect for people who change their views after acquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes, idealogues and zealots don't. Michael Crichton