michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting Posts about hunting the whitetail deer in MI with firearms, bows, etc.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 100Users Photo Gallery

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbooy42 View Post
Thanks for the tip QDMAMAN...
I'll make sure to hunt a good distance from the bait piles
I hope I didn't leave the impression that we hunted close to the bait because we don't. We're a minimum of 1/2 mile away (GPS) from any known bait piles hunting what ever "normal" movement patterns that are occurring at the time.

Big T
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 96Users Photo Gallery
Thumbs Up

Just a friendly tip...the proper way to report a post you feel is off track or in violation of website rules is to use the 'Report Post' feature (the red triangle next to the post number).

This allows posts to be reported to moderators without clogging up the thread with complaints.

Again, just a friendly reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inchtrack View Post
MODS

Could you please delete post # 42 and 44?
It has nothing to do with the topic of sharing tips for the legal use of bait in Michiganís Upper Peninsula.

Could you please ask the poster to try and stay on topic?
I beleive that the poster is trolling (trying to get a response from me)
Neal just warned about this very thing in the new rules.
Remove this ad...  
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Photos: 43Users Photo Gallery

Well I just wish that you guys would stay on topic so this one doesn't get closed or moved to sound off.
The use of bait is perfectly legal in the Upper Peninsula.
This thread is about sharing tips that people have come up with for the use of bait for whitetail hunting.

Tip,
When buying carrots look for the freshest, brightest orange carrots that you can find. The carrots that work the best are he freshest.
When a pallet of carrots set out in the sun the bag sweats. Dig down in the pallet; the carrot bags underneath are usually better.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Banned

Salt
Add table salt to your bait site.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

The way I always baited was,, "just off" known travels routes, in between the bedding and feeding area's... mabye like 10 or 20 yards off the trail. I knew my bait wasn't a main feed source,, more or less a nice tasty snack, something a little different than the acorns, that they couldn't resist. I'd also make the bait a little difficult to get to,,, they'd really have to keep their nose to the ground to find it. I liked to whack up sugar beets with my machete.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Banned

A few years ago I purchased a blender at a yard sale.
I would take a can of carrots, an apple, and bits and pieces of beets and blend it up. At first, I used just water to help liquefy this mix, and then I started using a small juice bottle of apple juice.

Blend it real good, then strain the mix through a coffee filter in a funnel into a spray bottle.

I would spray all around my hunting sites, on the pile, and as high as I could reach in the trees.

It's a bait pile in a bottle.

Planning on buying a juicer next year.

Note; donít leave any in the bottle in an enclosed vehicle for very long.
I severely twisted my ankle 4 years ago and a half full bottle was in my jeep for a week and a half. I could still smell it after a year.

Last edited by 6inchtrack; 10-04-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Banned

Pumpkins are a good bait food.
I used to break mine and scatter them along the ground.
The deer would always eat the internal stuff first (donít throw away the insides of your kids Halloween pumpkins) then the rind.
Some people just set them out whole.
Every year a near by farmer / friend would let me pick up all the unwanted pumpkins after they harvested their crop, and then gave me the leftovers after Halloween, his wife would save me the insides when she was canning.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

A lot of times we would find active scrapes near our bait sites.
Stands to reason, bait brings deer, and bucks want to find does.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Guide

Photos: 32Users Photo Gallery

When I hunted in the UP I put my bait about 100 yards from my stand and my spot was in a place where the deer could not wind me because they would have to go out in a big open marsh to get down wind. (the wind was mostly north or north west)
CBM Life Member
NTA Member
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Guide

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

In my area of the UP people bait quite a bit. One problem that I noticed is that they are so intent on baiting every day that they bump deer daily weeks prior to opening day of rifle season. Instead of patterning deer, the deer pattern them!
The use of a spin cast type feeder will eliminate the intrusion factor while supplying corn or other mix to attract deer to one's stand area. Using this method also eliminates scent contamination as you only need to fill the barrel once every two weeks.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Guide

Photos: 10Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to CHUCK n BUCK

2 very important things to consider when hunting over a bait pile:

1) Bait pile should be around 100 yards from your blind. This gives you more room for error as far as movement and sent goes.

2) Choose a location so that you can enter and exit your ground blind without being detected, heard or seen. Many times I have entered my blind and had deer already feeding on the bait pile. This is the most important rule that, IMHO leads to sucess in the UP. A set up like this can be accomplished by using the terrain to your advantage.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Michiganiac

I used to put my bait out at night. Let them pattern me!

(Brookie1)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

I would have multiple spots going at once.
When you find active sign (tracks on a run, rub line...) I would set out a gallon of bait and just watch it. When it gets hit I would hunt it from a climber or from the ground from ground blind made from leafy blind material cut into strips and clothes pinned to a cord tied between a couple of branches. From the ground you can stay hidden from other hunters also.
If you have more then one spot going at once you hardly ever need to hunt the same location more then once.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 96Users Photo Gallery

Is it me or do you find a reason to reply to this thread whenever it falls off the 1st page of the whitetail deer hunting forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inchtrack View Post
I would have multiple spots going at once.
When you find active sign (tracks on a run, rub line...) I would set out a gallon of bait and just watch it. When it gets hit I would hunt it from a climber or from the ground from ground blind made from leafy blind material cut into strips and clothes pinned to a cord tied between a couple of branches. From the ground you can stay hidden from other hunters also.
If you have more then one spot going at once you hardly ever need to hunt the same location more then once.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead View Post
Is it me or do you find a reason to reply to this thread whenever it falls off the 1st page of the whitetail deer hunting forum?
Why thank you Head thou after reading your post several times I just cant 't seem to grasp your tip for legally using bait in the UP. Better luck next time buddy.

Tip:
Scent is a big factor for deer to first find the bait. I used to start with apples and carrots, and then if it was a bait that I intended to replenish, switch to corn and chopped beets. I have seen deer walking 50 yards away and lift their noses when they got the scent and head directly to the bait.