Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > General Michigan Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Michigan Hunting General discussion on Michigan hunting not covered in other forums.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery
Purple Face Marble's Knives going out of business

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I was at the Hunting Time Expo on Sunday. While I was there I stopped to look at the Marble's Knife display. I was talking to the man behind the counter, he told us that Marble's was closing its doors. He believed the company would be bought by a chinese company and moved there. I wasn't looking for a knife and I do make my own, but I bought one anyway. That way I do have a real made-in-Michigam Marble's knife. Sad to hear though. FRANK

"If it bleeds, we can kill it..."

Live like you may die.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 20Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz 54 View Post
I was at the Hunting Time Expo on Sunday. While I was there I stopped to look at the Marble's Knife display. I was talking to the man behind the counter, he told us that Marble's was closing its doors. He believed the company would be bought by a chinese company and moved there. I wasn't looking for a knife and I do make my own, but I bought one anyway. That way I do have a real made-in-Michigam Marble's knife. Sad to hear though. FRANK
They haven't been made in Michigan for a while. The ones that were made in Michigan were actually stamped "Gladstone Michigan" or something to that affect on the blade.
Remove this ad...  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

Yup. Marbles has been in a downslide for a while.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 143Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyaxecamp View Post
Yup. Marbles has been in a downslide for a while.
My wife bought me a Marbles back in 03 or 04, I had always wanted one.....thing can't keep an edge! Good thing I had my $15 Bushmaster in my bag at the time I was field dressing my deer....

Bought my brother a Rapid River knife a few years ago and it's twice the knife my Marbles is for alot less $.

Last edited by GVSUKUSH; 02-01-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

bummer, heard good things about Marbles knives, maybe they just had good advertising? was seriously thinking about replacing my Gerber gator 18+/- years old and only re-shaprened 3-4 times....20+ deer, countless ducks and geese, and 4 caribou....the gerber rubber handle has lost its grip somewhat.....I guess i will stick to something that has worked for me
Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

When I purchase knives I tend to get a Rapid River knife. Made right in the UP...I always stop at the showroom when I'm up that way and usually end up with a new knife at the time.

It's my understanding that Marbles knives haven't been made in MI for a handful of years now.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

I have quite a few older marbles made in gladstone, very nice knife. Then I have quite a few Bark River knives, and that is my favorite. Never checked out Rapid River knives but all I've heard is good. I know Bark River is an ex Marbles maker and I believe Rapid River is too, not positive. So basically thanks too Marbles. I also only sharpen my Knives with a leather strap, hard to beat a razor blade.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Tracker

ya, Rapid River came about when marbles split. My dad bought me a genuine marbles when i graduated high school. Awesome knives. Thats too bad to hear.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Guide

Photos: 7Users Photo Gallery

I've been using Bark River knives for awhile now. Hand made right in Escanaba. The owner, Mike Stewart, designed and made knives at Marbles before the company sold out. They have a great warranty and the custom service is top notch. Take your knife, accidentally drop it on the concrete and damage the handle, covered. Accidently stab the knife through the sheath while putting it away, covered. Need it resharpened at any point, covered. The have their own section over at www.knifeforums.com with well over 300,000 replies in their section alone. Plenty of good knives for sale in their section too. Anyhow, I have no affiliation with the company, just enjoy a good knife and I have found them here. A good place to buy them is at www.knivesshipfree.com which has some nice models on clearance right now (Manitou and Custom Semi-Skinner to name a few). I have checked out Rapids River knives on the past. Decent looking, but the selection os styles seems limited. Bark River has more styles than you could imagine. Plus once you have a good convexed edge knife, it is hard to go back. Easy to sharpen and built to last. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

few weeks ago i went to the gunshow in novi.i was looking for a skinning knife.i really liked a couple of the marbles knifes.until i saw china on the blade.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Master Sportsman

To bad about marbles.I have a Wolverine/rapid river knife also. I am very happy with it many deer field dressed with it. bought my son and daughter each one so they would have a USA/Michigan made knife hopefully to last a life time from the old man
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery
Thumbs Up Double Checked....

After all the comments yesterday I went home and got the knife out of the Gun Vault. It does say it was made in Gladstone on the box and it does not say Made In China anywhere on the knife. I called Merv, the distributor, and asked him. He said the knife I bought was old stock, approximately 3 years old, and was made in Gladstone. FRANK

"If it bleeds, we can kill it..."

Live like you may die.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

Glad to hear that Frank, Its a very nice knife and Im sure you'll like it very much. I don't know that much about them but our's (really my dads collection of them) are all 10 yrs old and older. They say Gladstone Mi right on the blade, well atleast the one I have here. We also wipe mineral oil on the blade so they dont rust and slide back in the paper sheath for storage. Also stain easy so if ya use it clean soon as your done.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Guide

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

I guess I should have got one while the gettin was good.

Wild Spirit Outdoors, Quality gear at a discount price. CLICK HERE
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

Getting is still good. Just get a Rapid River or a Bark River.

Smaller companies (couple guys) and better craftsmanship IMHO.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt