Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Firearms
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Firearms Discussion of all firearm weapons, including Concealed Carry Weapons, Muzzleoaders, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, Target Shooting, Black power tech. No sales please.

View Poll Results: Best rifle caliber for deer
30-06 77 49.36%
300 WSM 7 4.49%
308 WIN 30 19.23%
7mm 9 5.77%
270 WIN 27 17.31%
243 4 2.56%
338 MAG 2 1.28%
25-06 6 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Sportsman

Deer Best Deer Rifle For The Money

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I'm looking for a good rifle for deer hunting, but I don't have a ton of money so i would like some suggestions on rifles with good prices. Looking for a 30-06 or 300 WSM, also preferably with a scope already on it. I've had my eye on some of the Savage and Mossberg models, so just let me know what you think.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Guide

Photos: 16Users Photo Gallery

Go with a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It`s the best gun for your money, and it`s accurate right out of the box! Mine has killed a ton of deer for me over the years!
Remove this ad...  
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Guide

For a "deer only" gun I like the 25-06 or 270 more than the 30-06.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Guide

Send a message via AIM to Gil Martin Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Martin
Default It depends what you prefer

My suggestion would be to check the used gun racks to see what is available, seems to fit and you can afford. There are a lot of real bargains waiting for a new home. All the best...
Gil
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Guide

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Check out the savages. Very cost effective and very accurate as well. Also, dont rule out the lever guns. A new Marlin lever gun can be had pretty cheap. I have several and they are good shooters.

When speaking of a bolt gun for Michigan Whitetail I would look at 7mm-08, .308, .270, .280 etc...

I just picked up a Remington 700 CDL SF in 7mm-08 and the thing is a shooter.

Jeff

Last edited by MIoutdoorsjunkie; 01-23-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Guide

NONE OF THESE! LOL these are all good pics but a marlin of Win 30-30 is hard to beat for the price. That gets my vote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarrett88 View Post
NONE OF THESE! LOL these are all good pics but a marlin of Win 30-30 is hard to beat for the price. That gets my vote
I like the 30-30 as well and know that probably more deer have fallen to a lever action gun chambered in .30-30 than any other combination. I, however, prefer something with a bit more knock down power at 100 yrds. In my experience .243, 30-30 for whitetail = tracking deer. I like to have the feeling that 9 times of of ten when I have a deer in my sights and pull the trigger, the sucker is going to drop in his tracks. I hate tracking deer.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Tracker

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

My buy would be based on what was available and what prices I could find. Most of these calibers would be on my list for MI deer. I love my A-Bolt 30-06, but the flatter trajectory of the .270 would take some of the guess work out of longer shots.

I do not have exerience with the 300WSM or .280. I shot a Marlin 30-30 for years before my Browning, and never liked the 30-30's performance. I do like the lever guns, however. The 30-30 just seems like you're lobbing one out there vs. some of the other cartridges available. That thing drops like a rock.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Krause View Post
I'm looking for a good rifle for deer hunting, but I don't have a ton of money so i would like some suggestions on rifles with good prices. Looking for a 30-06 or 300 WSM, also preferably with a scope already on it. I've had my eye on some of the Savage and Mossberg models, so just let me know what you think.
Well... In order to better help you let us know what kind of deer hunting you will be doing, what kind of surroundings you hunt, are you only hunting in MI etc?

Ie.. If your shooting over a 200 acre bean/corn field you would want a flat shooting cartridge that can reach out and take a deer at longer ranges. If you are hunting a thick cedar swamp you may want to send a bigger chunk of lead down range and should be looking at a "brush gun" like a lever action etc.
I hunt a lot of tight cover and find myself reaching for my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun with open sights or my Marlin Model 444 with scout scope set up over my flatter shooting, faster, long range options.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 16Users Photo Gallery

Any on the list will do the job just fine!!! Lots not on the list will do it too. I have shoot deer with the 25-06, .243, .308, 30-30, 30-06, .270, .280 rem, 7mm08, .444 marlin, .350 rem mag and .300 savage. All worked very well and the deer never knew the difference.

As far as make of rifle- go handle them and if possible shoot them. Pick the one that fits you best and is in your price range. Lots of people love the savage rifles- I do not care for them. Would rather spend a little more money and get one that I like- it will be around a while!!!

good luck
Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

The savage is an awesome whitetail gun in 270 or 30-06 you wont be dissapointed
Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Sportsman

I am looking for a more long range gun, because I have my H&R slug gun for the thick stuff. Yes, I am only a MI hunter and I'm not hunting a bean/corn field but, there are alot of good long 100+ shots so as far as cartridges go I would need a straight shot. And I would never rush in buying a gun, but three that I really do like are the Savage model 111 bth, Remington model 700 and 770,and the Marlin bolt actions. The savage thumbhole is really comfortable but I've never shot anything with a thumbhole, so some input would be great.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Krause View Post
I am looking for a more long range gun, because I have my H&R slug gun for the thick stuff. Yes, I am only a MI hunter and I'm not hunting a bean/corn field but, there are alot of good long 100+ shots so as far as cartridges go I would need a straight shot. And I would never rush in buying a gun, but three that I really do like are the Savage model 111 bth, Remington model 700 and 770,and the Marlin bolt actions. The savage thumbhole is really comfortable but I've never shot anything with a thumbhole, so some input would be great.
100yds is not a long shot. Any of the cartridges you listed should be pointblank out to around 250yds if sighted in 1.5-2" high at 100yds.
Thumbholes feel great at the shoulder but the bridge always hits me in the thumb knuckle when I''m carrying the gun muzzle high.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Guide

Since the rifle is going to be with you many years, the initial cost is ammortized over a long period. I would stretch the budget here to get the best rifle and scope possible. (especially the scope)

No so with ammo. Unless you reload, you purchase ammunition at least once per year, maybe more often. 300 WSM will have higher cost and less availability than 30-06, 270, or 308.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery

My personal preference as far as cal. for deer would be .308. For a brand of rifle it would be hard to beat a Savage or Marlin bolt action based on price. These rifles are inexpensive and great shooters in the accuracy dept. For some it is hard to get by their apperance or some of the plastic parts but they are accurate. I own a Savage but not a Marlin.