michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law Got a question about MI hunting/fishing law that you just can't figure out from the guide book?

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Tracker

Default Atler point length?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I know the law says a point must be one inch to be counted. Where do you measure from? Top of beam to top of point? Or center of beam to top of point? I recently shot a buck with both G3s broken off. I tagged him as a 6 point. If you measure from center of beam to top of point, then he would be an 8 pt. The G3s are broken off, but they still stick up above the main beam. Just wondering what is correct if I even face this situation again. In this case it makes a difference of general combo tag or restricted combo tag.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 39Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbuster View Post
I know the law says a point must be one inch to be counted. Where do you measure from? Top of beam to top of point? Or center of beam to top of point? I recently shot a buck with both G3s broken off. I tagged him as a 6 point. If you measure from center of beam to top of point, then he would be an 8 pt. The G3s are broken off, but they still stick up above the main beam. Just wondering what is correct if I even face this situation again. In this case it makes a difference of general combo tag or restricted combo tag.
I thought the law was 4".
Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Guide

Photos: 43Users Photo Gallery

this is from the guide,

"Antlered deer means a deer having at least one antler that extends three inches or more above the skull. Antlerless deer means a deer without antlers, or with antlers where the longest antler extends less than three inches above the skull. Also see How to Identify "Button Bucks".
A person is limited to purchasing only two kill tags for taking an antlered (buck) deer. You may purchase one archery license AND one firearm license (one kill tag each) OR one combination license (two kill tags).
If you take two antlered deer, one of the two antlered deer must have at least one antler with four or more antler points one inch or longer. This deer can be taken first or second in either an archery, firearm or muzzleloading season.
Exception: See U.P. buck hunting regulations:
"

i could not find any measuring point to use so it must be one of those laws left up to the interpretaion of the hunter and/or CO.

if 4" tines were the law than i've been a violater many times

if your unsure than don't count it just to be safe.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Points are measured from the nearest edge of the main beam over the outer curve all the way to the tip of the point. The starting position for the measurement is on an imaginary line made by extending the main beam across antler point.
I don't know if this is law, but it's the way I always considered correct.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery

Here is the legal definition. Thread is closed.

1.10 Antlered deer defined.
Sec. 1.10 “Antlered deer” means a deer having at least 1 antler that extends 3 inches or more above the skull. For the purposes of determining if an antler extends 3 or more inches above the skull, the measurement shall be taken on the longest antler beginning at the line where the antler and pedicel join, along the back of the antler, following the curve, if any, to the tip of the longest antler point. For the purposes of this section, "pedicel" means the bone of the skull to which the antler is attached.
Closed Thread