Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Wildlife Habitat
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wildlife Habitat Improving habitat for non-cervid game and non-game animals.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default ponds

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I would like to dig out a pond on property that I own, do any of you know of any DNR laws regarding digging of ponds. It will benefit wildlife in the area, I just don't want to get my hopes up, pay for an excavator only to be slapped with some huge fine. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Michiganiac
Rank Type

Photos: 58Users Photo Gallery
Default Call your county court house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgundog View Post
I would like to dig out a pond on property that I own, do any of you know of any DNR laws regarding digging of ponds. It will benefit wildlife in the area, I just don't want to get my hopes up, pay for an excavator only to be slapped with some huge fine. Thanks for your input.
That's what I did. I don't remember what department I was sent to but I had to get a soil erosion permit. Might ask where to get a soil erosion permit. They should tell you what all the rules and regulations are. My pond is 1& 1/3 acre. If I remember right if I would have dug a pond under 1/2 acre in my county and was not in a wet land area I didn't need a permit. Good luck.

ponds - Wildlife Habitat
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

I had a 30ft round pond that I had expanded and the contractor advised no permit required. I would check with the county and township.
Dennis Marshal in Stockbridge does a great job at a fair price
Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Guide

Photos: 2Users Photo Gallery

If your property is in the Saginaw Bay watershed, you can actually get grants to dig a pond or ponds. They have to fit certain criteria for controlling runoff and creating a wetlands buffer zone. I friend did this in Sanilac County. He is gone to Florida for the winter so I can't call him up and ask him which agency it was he worked with, DNR, soil extension, US Fish & Wildlife, etc. You could do a search online for goverment grants for digging ponds used for soil erosion control. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbomb View Post
If your property is in the Saginaw Bay watershed, you can actually get grants to dig a pond or ponds. They have to fit certain criteria for controlling runoff and creating a wetlands buffer zone. I friend did this in Sanilac County. He is gone to Florida for the winter so I can't call him up and ask him which agency it was he worked with, DNR, soil extension, US Fish & Wildlife, etc. You could do a search online for goverment grants for digging ponds used for soil erosion control. Good luck.
This property is in the sag. bay watershed in fact it's part of the kawkawlin river watershed as well. If I could get a grant, that would be great! Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Guide

I wish I could remember the agency he worked with but I can't. I would try contacting your local soil conservation district office and see if they can help. His property was near but not bordering the Cass River. If the program is still funded you should qualify. Send me a PM if you do windup doing this and I can get you the name of his pond excavator. I know he was real happy with all the work the guy did for him. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Guide

What my buddy did was have 4 ponds dug. Two of them are shallow, seasonal type ponds that are designed to hold water in times of excessive runoff. They are all in sucession to each other. These two shallow (wetlands) ponds feed a third, much deeper, very nice pond my bud is going to build a house on. The last pond is fed by this one to hold exceesive overflow from all three, it has two levels of outflow in case of extreme precipitation events. He has also planted hundreds of trees and shrubs and put in some native grasses too. Pretty sure he got grant money for these too. He has 40 acres but is only doing this on about 20 as he wants to keep crops in the other 20.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 207Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedoggy View Post
I had a 30ft round pond that I had expanded and the contractor advised no permit required. I would check with the county and township.
Dennis Marshal in Stockbridge does a great job at a fair price
Dennis did my pond years back. Highly recomended.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Guide

What do you think is the smallest reasonable size for a pond that you hope will support some sort of native fish population? I've heard you will spend more money renting equipment etc. to dig a pond yourself, but if it was so small as to be hand dug, that sounds like the cheapest way to go.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 27Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbomb View Post
What my buddy did was have 4 ponds dug. Two of them are shallow, seasonal type ponds that are designed to hold water in times of excessive runoff. They are all in sucession to each other. These two shallow (wetlands) ponds feed a third, much deeper, very nice pond my bud is going to build a house on. The last pond is fed by this one to hold exceesive overflow from all three, it has two levels of outflow in case of extreme precipitation events. He has also planted hundreds of trees and shrubs and put in some native grasses too. Pretty sure he got grant money for these too. He has 40 acres but is only doing this on about 20 as he wants to keep crops in the other 20.
Well well, look who came out of the woodwork
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpenka1 View Post
What do you think is the smallest reasonable size for a pond that you hope will support some sort of native fish population? I've heard you will spend more money renting equipment etc. to dig a pond yourself, but if it was so small as to be hand dug, that sounds like the cheapest way to go.
I would like it large enough to be able to hunt ducks. I have a large area to do this in the middle of what is a real wet existing swamp.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Guide

That sounds great that you can get grants and stuff. I live by the Kawkalin River and was always told if i overturned the land anywhere near it the higher authorities would have me in jail
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Master Sportsman

You need to meet with someone from the DEQ, you need a permit from them and also one from the local soil conservation district. The DEQ should come out and look at the area you are wanting to dig. Anything under 5 acres in MI is considered a pond and you should be fine. The one problem you might have is that if its wet there already and they deem it a wetland the permitting might be a bit stricter but it all depends on the lay of the land the DEQ and soil conservation personnel that look at your property. Oh, and you need to be 500 feet from an existing waterway.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Sportsman

I was told in Lenawee County that you only need a permit if within so far of an existing waterway, i.e. drain, ditch, etc.

Jay
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 AM

Hello,
Construction Guidelines for ponds:
1.Size: Wildlife will use all sizes of wetland, but bigger is usually better. In building a pond for waterfowl, consider a minimum size of 2500 square feet.Larger, irregularly shaped ponds are preferred.
2. Shoreline features:A pond that has an irregular shoreline and many points and bays is more attractive to waterfowl and most other wildlife than a dugout with a straight shoreline. Plan your dugout to have as much shoreline as possible.
3. Spoil: Excavating a pond means you end up with a lot of soil removed from the dugout; this is called "spoil". When excavating in an existing wetland, remove the spoil from the wetland. Placing the spoil in the wetland can trigger the need for a permit.